• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Taxing guns out of spite?

In my opinion any government tax could be considered an infringement.

What are the stats regarding how much gun violence is perpetrated by people who bought guns legally versus people who acquire them illegally?

I don't generally subscribe to the talking point that gun control is just a burden on "law-abiding citizens," but in this instance, if the tax is only going to be imposed on legal gun purchasers, that does seem to be the case.

If somehow it does pass (seems extremely unlikely), the money should go to funding police departments in high crime areas.

Never been delineated in FBI Uniform Crime statistics that I have ever seen.

Nobody knows for sure.

Too much of a burden for reporting agencies.

Sure it is.

If it was happening, everyone would know.

Any moron who gives up their guns voluntarily deserves their loss.

How many shoot outs have taken place in the US over this?

Zero.
So now you are saying they are not doing it in California at all and its total bull**** story?
And no one knows about it? I first saw it on TV months ago.

I was including the standard sales tax into that. Im not sure if that was clear. Guns should be 100% tax exempt.

Well according to one person on here, it will NEVER happen. I remember a time when we thought it would never happen that a crazy person would blow away a bunch of little children.

Then you'll see a string of "accidents" unparalleled in our history and they'll severely limit or even outright ban the practice.

Not true. Reloading is easy, even a liberal can do it.

Well according to one person on here, it will NEVER happen. I remember a time when we thought it would never happen that a crazy person would blow away a bunch of little children.
That ship sailed before anyone here was born. The Kehoe bombing of the late 1920's, TNT, and a higher body count than any school massacre since.

A couple of demorats have decided to try to raise taxes in order to create more federal spending in the name of preventing gun violence.

Naturally they will expect their "fair share" of this new pork. Why do I get the strange feeling that "safe communities" would likely be seeing very little (if any) of this additional federal funding?

Read more: Dem bill would trigger huge new taxes on guns, ammo | Fox News

it pretty much shows the disgusting nature of many in that party when it comes to our gun rights.

people who cannot LEGALLY buy guns and AMMO don't pay the taxes

its a patent attempt to attack LEGAL gun owners.

Not surprised; doubt it will pass; and I really have no problem with it. I suspect it may have some unintended consequences for the democrats though.

you have NO PROBLEM with making law abiding target shooters pay twice as much for their ammo?

Ho hum.

Still not impressed.

One case - no need to panic like Chicken Little.

It is CA.
The fact that it happens at all is enough to worry about it. Ignoring it is not going to make sure it wont creep past Cali.

In all honesty, this bill would be political suicide for anyone stupid enough to vote yeah, especially those who run in the south. This isn't Europe where people just give up, we fire people stupid enough to continuously mess with our lifetsyles.

Well, with our government spying on us, the IRS targeting us, and the SCOTUS betraying us -- if the biggest thing in news was the Patriot Pitchfork Rebellion in it's 4 or 5th month instead of some no talent tart with a foam finger fetish, I might be more likely to share your optimism.

Well, with our government spying on us, the IRS targeting us, and the SCOTUS betraying us -- if the biggest thing in news was the Patriot Pitchfork Rebellion in it's 4 or 5th month instead of some no talent tart with a foam finger fetish, I might be more likely to share your optimism.
There are "behind the scenes" things happening constantly. If we paid attention only to media outlets, sure, it sounds like everyone is fine with this, but when you start to compile the number of people furious with all you have mentioned, and the VERY loud yelling down any idiot stupid enough to mention gun control, it adds up to a good outcome. Currently, a lot of people are saying the power grab won't be tolerated much longer, and more people are saying "enough" every day.

Currently, a lot of people are saying the power grab won't be tolerated much longer, and more people are saying "enough" every day.

It shouldn't have been tolerated at all.

The fact that it happens at all is enough to worry about it. Ignoring it is not going to make sure it wont creep past Cali.

If you are looking to panic, there are a lot more draconian 2A CA laws to worry about.

It shouldn't have been tolerated at all.
Oh I agree, but somewhere down the line politicians figured out if you can keep enough people fat, stupid, and happy they'll accept certain abuses.

you have NO PROBLEM with making law abiding target shooters pay twice as much for their ammo?

As opposed to excise taxes on gas or smokes? I really do not see the difference.

As opposed to excise taxes on gas or smokes? I really do not see the difference.

1) shooting recreationally is not a harmful habit

2) guns are constitutionally protected

So you are a gun banner ok

this tax impacts the people who don't impose costs on society as opposed to smokers

and everyone uses gas one way or another-stupid analogy

Back
Top Bottom