• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Taxes, More Taxes?

SouthernDemocrat said:
Economic science is where they get it. Like I said, it is the belief held by the vast majority of economists. So basically, I am merely posting the opinion of experts. In your case, possibly that was not the case, but obviously it is the case with the vast majority of employers, or the vast majority of economists would not hold that belief. Are you honestly going to claim that you know more than Alan Greenspan?

Moreover, it is a fact that bolsters the claims of some conservatives about payroll taxes.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I know more than Alan but then neither does his successor until told and brought up to speed in his first days after being chosen for that post.

Actually if I found myself in the position of being chosen to succeed Alan Greenspan, with my background I would feel confident that I could do the job. I too have studied economics and know the sides that digest the "science" that is both less than correct or credible at times. You can watch a channel like CNBC and see your so called economists argue both sides.

During the 90's the dot com bubble grew and grew while economists loyal to the Clinton Administration sang the praises of this stupendous growth. There were a few that cautioned how so many companies could sell at multiple of earnings that didn't even exist. Then - POP.

Yes, if called on I would gladly replace Alan and do my best. This is not an idle pledge. I believe I could do the job. Now, having said that, I would put myself up for fodder as those who didn't agree with my concepts would come down on me and as in any political office of our day, my destruction would be their utmost cause (can someone tell me where to get my reputation back?).

Would I want that? Of course. If I were to take a job amongst Democrats and Republicans I would expect disrespect to rule the day. Still, yes. I would take and do the job.
:duel :cool:

Iriemon said:
A big percentage of job creation since 2000 has been in Govt/military jobs.

Yeah, and the workforce as a percentage of the total population has actually declined. That is probably a good explanation of why median income has remained flat for so long.

gordontravels said:
I wouldn't go as far as saying I know more than Alan but then neither does his successor until told and brought up to speed in his first days after being chosen for that post.

Actually if I found myself in the position of being chosen to succeed Alan Greenspan, with my background I would feel confident that I could do the job. I too have studied economics and know the sides that digest the "science" that is both less than correct or credible at times. You can watch a channel like CNBC and see your so called economists argue both sides.

During the 90's the dot com bubble grew and grew while economists loyal to the Clinton Administration sang the praises of this stupendous growth. There were a few that cautioned how so many companies could sell at multiple of earnings that didn't even exist. Then - POP.

Yes, if called on I would gladly replace Alan and do my best. This is not an idle pledge. I believe I could do the job. Now, having said that, I would put myself up for fodder as those who didn't agree with my concepts would come down on me and as in any political office of our day, my destruction would be their utmost cause (can someone tell me where to get my reputation back?).

Would I want that? Of course. If I were to take a job amongst Democrats and Republicans I would expect disrespect to rule the day. Still, yes. I would take and do the job.

Wait now, almost all of the Clinton Economic team was on TV talking about their fears of "irrational exuberance" as early as 1999. I watch CNBC, usually its not economists arguing, but rather its wallstreet analysts and it was those guys who were singing the praises of the dot com boom.

I'm sure you are very intelligent, but Greenspan is literally a genius. I consider myself a very good Systems Admin. I think I do a damn good job, but I am not so full of myself to think that I could run something like a Fortune 500 company. Then again, few CEO's could do my job either. A person cannot be exceptional at everything.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Wait now, almost all of the Clinton Economic team was on TV talking about their fears of "irrational exuberance" as early as 1999. I watch CNBC, usually its not economists arguing, but rather its wallstreet analysts and it was those guys who were singing the praises of the dot com boom.

I'm sure you are very intelligent, but Greenspan is literally a genius. I consider myself a very good Systems Admin. I think I do a damn good job, but I am not so full of myself to think that I could run something like a Fortune 500 company. Then again, few CEO's could do my job either. A person cannot be exceptional at everything.

Alan Greenspan doesn't act alone and his department along with the other sitting members of the Fed have resources to call on well in advance of any meetings or decisions that have to be made. I will also say that it is seldom that these members show anything such as a united front during their meetings regardless of how they vote for actions.

You ask me a question and when I give you an honest answer such as I have given to businessmen throughout my life you say something such as not being "so full of myself" in reference to you? I do hope you aren't including me because I answered your question for myself and with confidence in that answer. I have been called President, Vice President and in various forms, manager many times in my life and if given a job to do then I'll get it done.

I don't doubt that Alan Greenspan is a genius although his choice of wives leaves something to be desired but still, if he gets the flu, I'm here.

Back
Top Bottom