• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Taxation without representation amendment

How do you feel about US jurisdictions not being allowed to tax people who are not allowed to vote?

• I like it

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • not a good idea

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • not sure, might be good to some extent

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
As you may recall from history, the rallying cry for the American revolutionaries is "no taxation without representation". And for the first few decades, the US pretty much followed that principle as

Some states disenfranchise people if they have a criminal record. Maine and Vermont don't do this and even allow people behind bars to cast their vote. Other states like Utah, New york, Illinois, and Montana keep it to a minimum; you may vote as long as you are not behind bars. In California and Colorado, you can vote as long as you're not behind bars or on parole. Then there are states which extend this to probation like Texas. In Arizona, all of this applies and if you commit a repeat felony offense, you must petition to regain suffrage. In Kentucky and Florida, every felon must petition to regain suffrage.

These people still have to pay taxes to their state but are not being represented. This goes against the principle upon which the US was originally founded.

Should this amendment ever be passed, it will read, "No person who is not eligible to vote be required to pay personal taxes to the jurisdiction for which they are not represented". If you've been disenfranchised, you will no longer have to pay taxes to the jurisdictions which disenfranchised you. For example, the 9.14% who got disenfranchised by the state of Kentucky would not have to pay taxes to the state of Kentucky (no income or property tax, or maybe even including sales tax). If the voting age for local elections is 16 but for state elections it's 18, then if you're 16 or 17, you would (theoretically) be required to pay taxes to the local government but not the state government.

Now why would an American not.be allowed to vote?

Only reason I can think of is a felony conviction and.that.is changing

Sure Republicans put up all kinds of obstacles to voting but if you are determined you can get there

I think this is a stupid poll

Sure Republicans put up all kinds of obstacles to voting but if you are determined you can get there

Republicans have spent the last 30 years thinking up ways to kick people off voting rolls.
You have plenty of people who are now unable to vote.

Republicans have spent the last 30 years thinking up ways to kick people off voting rolls.

Every person that really cares about voting should check with their local voter office to make sure they are still registered. If not, re-register. Do it early and vote this Nov. 3rd.

Every person that really cares about voting should check with their local voter office to make sure they are still registered. If not, re-register. Do it early and vote this Nov. 3rd.

As you may recall from history, the rallying cry for the American revolutionaries is "no taxation without representation". And for the first few decades, the US pretty much followed that principle as

Some states disenfranchise people if they have a criminal record. Maine and Vermont don't do this and even allow people behind bars to cast their vote. Other states like Utah, New york, Illinois, and Montana keep it to a minimum; you may vote as long as you are not behind bars. In California and Colorado, you can vote as long as you're not behind bars or on parole. Then there are states which extend this to probation like Texas. In Arizona, all of this applies and if you commit a repeat felony offense, you must petition to regain suffrage. In Kentucky and Florida, every felon must petition to regain suffrage.

These people still have to pay taxes to their state but are not being represented. This goes against the principle upon which the US was originally founded.

Should this amendment ever be passed, it will read, "No person who is not eligible to vote be required to pay personal taxes to the jurisdiction for which they are not represented". If you've been disenfranchised, you will no longer have to pay taxes to the jurisdictions which disenfranchised you. For example, the 9.14% who got disenfranchised by the state of Kentucky would not have to pay taxes to the state of Kentucky (no income or property tax, or maybe even including sales tax). If the voting age for local elections is 16 but for state elections it's 18, then if you're 16 or 17, you would (theoretically) be required to pay taxes to the local government but not the state government.

the rallying cry for the American revolutionaries is "no taxation without representation".

The funny thing about that, even if they had representation in the British parliament they would have been a minority. It was just brilliant propaganda from Sam Adams

These people still have to pay taxes to their state but are not being represented.

Me thinks most of these people don't pay much in taxes to begin with(low life's)

Not that I have seen. In my ward (which is a majority democratic) all the poll workers are republicans and we have never turned away a voter. This is an out right lie. We make sure anyone who is registered to vote and shows up gets to vote. I will help anyone who is not smart enough to register to vote in my ward. I tell every one I know in my neighborhood that I will even take them and help them register. Not a single person has taken me up on my offer in 20 years. Yet voter turn out is 20% to 25% of registered voters. This does not take into account all the people who refuse to register.

Now if you are not smart enough to register to vote which 75+% of the people are that is not our fault. Then you are too lazy to actually vote that is your own fault. I know the left like to think that everything is someone else's fault. That does not make it true.

Making sure the person voting is supposed to be voting and votes only once is required to prevent fraud and ballot stuffing. That is not preventing people from voting it is making sure that your vote actually counts.

It seems when Dims want to vote they can(wink)

Does this mean corporations don't have to pay taxes? They are not allowed to vote.

Also, many states collect taxes on non-residents who are not allowed to vote in those states' elections. Some even levy taxes on former residents for up to 10 years after they leave. Would those laws now be unconstitutional?

No, you now have plenty of people too stupid to vote, yet Ds continue to get elected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the hell are 'personal taxes'?

You can't reregister if you're disenfranchised.

What the hell are 'personal taxes'?

Presumably "personal income taxes," a term sometimes used to differentiate from corporate income taxes. (alternatively "individual income tax")

Either because they're udnerage or because of a felony charge

Presumably "personal income taxes," a term sometimes used to differentiate from corporate income taxes. (alternatively "individual income tax")

That is correct, it would not apply to corporate income taxes. It would definitely apply to income taxes. Might also apply to sales and property taxes.

Does this mean corporations don't have to pay taxes? They are not allowed to vote.

Also, many states collect taxes on non-residents who are not allowed to vote in those states' elections. Some even levy taxes on former residents for up to 10 years after they leave. Would those laws now be unconstitutional?

This amendment would apply to individuals, not corporations.

This amendment would apply to individuals, not corporations.

You did not mention that. In fact you specifically used the word "person" as in, "No person who is not eligible to vote..." Corporations are people and they definitely pay taxes but they cannot vote.

And you still haven't addressed taxing out-of-state income. Many states levy income taxes on people who do not reside in the state but who earn money there. Some even tax people up to 10 years after the move out of the state. In other words, such individuals are taxed without representation.

In fact if this amendment was passed, you'd see a lot of people gaming the system. They'd move across the state line from where they worked and owned businesses to avoid state taxes.

Seems like it would be simpler to just pass an amendment requiring states to restore voting rights to felons if that is your goal.

I oppose all income and estate taxes. One of the biggest problems is representation without taxation though. People who vote for politicians who want to jack up income and death taxes, knowing they will not have to pay anything additional

Nobody who votes at most elections and is still living in the same precinct loses the right to vote except felons. However, weird things can and do happen that result in voters being erroneously blocked from voting.

Here is one example I saw on the news while living in central Ohio. A woman complained she was turned away from voting because another voter in the same precinct has the same first and last name and the last four digits of their Social Security Numbers were the same. The poll worker did not look at all nine digits to make sure they were different people.

if you get convicted of a felony you lose some of your rights. One right you lose is the right to vote. I'm not against getting all your rights back after a time period of proving your good behavior after being released.

And if you're not an American citizen you got no vote. Go back to your home country and vote.

Back
Top Bottom