• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tax the Church

When did I ever mention JFK? He'd have disowned today's Democrats in a heartbeat.

Really? Wasn't this discussion about First Amendment rights?

The Qanon nuts—the people you are excusing by sobbing about “but Democrats”— think JFK Jr is going to run for President alongside Trump.

Considering that everyone from Lincoln himself on would disown the Trump cult, that’s pretty meaningless.

“Churches” trying to hide behind religious status to profit while constantly spewing insane propaganda has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

The government could tax churches. It neither prevents the free exercise nor establishes a religion provided all churches are levied with the same tax rate and no church is exempted.
The only fly in your ointment is the desire of the left to tax all churches out of existence. Hence, the Constitutional Protection. Let the government tax businesses out of business for entertainment.

The only fly in your ointment is the desire of the left to tax all churches out of existence. Hence, the Constitutional Protection. Let the government tax businesses out of business for entertainment.

There is no Constitutional protection, they are simply taxed (or not) as non-profit entities.

The separation of church and state should be a two-way street.

TBH, I had to look up Bill of Attainder. Saw nothing that apples to taxation of churches.

Can you point out what applies?

Yep:

The clause thus prohibits all legislative acts, “no matter what their form, that apply either to named individuals or to easily ascertainable members of a group in such a way as to inflict punishment on them without a judicial trial. . . .”

Treating churches (religious institutions) differently than other non-profit entities under tax (or campaign finance) law would be singling them out for special treatment.

Well, I finally know what Let's Go Brandon means... I looked it up.

The only fly in your ointment is the desire of the left to tax all churches out of existence.
The free exercise of religion does not inherently guarantee the existence of churches (or synagogues or mosques for that matter.)

Should Jesus actually return, the first thing he'll do after raining brimstone and hell-fire on the churches, is torture all the clergy.

A church is no different than a synagogue and any claim there is a difference is just semantics.

What was it Jesus said about people who pray in synagogues?

Oh, yeah, that's right....he called them hypocrites.

That begs the question why churches? Jesus never wanted them.

The free exercise of religion does not inherently guarantee the existence of churches (or synagogues or mosques for that matter.)

Should Jesus actually return, the first thing he'll do after raining brimstone and hell-fire on the churches, is torture all the clergy.

A church is no different than a synagogue and any claim there is a difference is just semantics.

I call BS on this.

The Old Order Amish around here have no use for them.

Start with taxing Scientology. Revoke their religious exemption.

The separation of church and state should be a two-way street.

TBH, I had to look up Bill of Attainder. Saw nothing that apples to taxation of churches.

Can you point out what applies?

Why do you want to shut down black churches? You think any social benefit will be derived from that?

Gahh!! What is it with some people? The left doesn't want "to tax all churches out of existence", there are leftie 'libruls' who attend religious gatherings.

The desire is to tax those churches and preachers who use the pulpit to promote political views. Talk politics all they want outside of the sanctuary but there's that whole "separation of church and state" thing that some preachers seem to think doesn't apply to them.

Gahh!! What is it with some people? The left doesn't want "to tax all churches out of existence", there are leftie 'libruls' who attend religious gatherings.

The desire is to tax those churches and preachers who use the pulpit to promote political views. Talk politics all they want outside of the sanctuary but there's that whole "separation of church and state" thing that some preachers seem to think doesn't apply to them.

Start with All Sharpton.

I suspect you will pretend it's only a coincidence that both of those men are black.
Nice. Immediately go to your only line of "defense". The race card. I would say that both are very much political, and very little religious. Can you name any other so called preachers, white or otherwise, that are "political" like them? I can. Mike Huckabee, but he pays his taxes.

Back
Top Bottom