• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tax refund checks / govt. paychecks

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Nancy Pelosi plans to have the Democrat majority House vote on legislation this week that will fund and open up the Treasury Department and the IRS.

This legislation is intended to get tax refund checks out to the American people as soon as possible after 17 days of Treasury/IRS workers being furloughed by the Trump government shutdown.

This legislation has nothing at all to do with funding either Trumps wall or DHS (border security). This is just intended to get Treasury/IRS up and running asap again.

This House legislation will however, place Republican Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell is an uncomfortable position. You see, Mitch now works for Trump and not for We The People.

Mitch has stated he will not allow a Senate vote on any pending funding legislation until Trump gets his wall funding. The papers to reopen Treas/IRS will remain on his desk.

Your tax refund shall remain a "wall-hostage" until Trump/GOP get their way. Trumps 5th-century legacy-wall is far more important than your stupid tax return! /s

----------

For ~800,000 federal workers still receiving pay, their last paycheck will be issued on Friday the 11th.

No more paychecks after that until Trump and McConnell decide to allow the Senate to vote on funding government departments.

Like IRS tax refunds, govt. paychecks will also serve as "wall-hostages" for Trump, McConnell, and far-rightists like Rush Limbaugh and Anne Coulter.

Mycroft

Genius is where you find it.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Nancy Pelosi plans to have the Democrat majority House vote on legislation this week that will fund and open up the Treasury Department and the IRS.

This legislation is intended to get tax refund checks out to the American people as soon as possible after 17 days of Treasury/IRS workers being furloughed by the Trump government shutdown.

This legislation has nothing at all to do with funding either Trumps wall or DHS (border security). This is just intended to get Treasury/IRS up and running asap again.

This House legislation will however, place Republican Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell is an uncomfortable position. You see, Mitch now works for Trump and not for We The People.

Mitch has stated he will not allow a Senate vote on any pending funding legislation until Trump gets his wall funding. The papers to reopen Treas/IRS will remain on his desk.

Your tax refund shall remain a "wall-hostage" until Trump/GOP get their way. Trumps 5th-century legacy-wall is far more important than your stupid tax return! /s

----------

For ~800,000 federal workers still receiving pay, their last paycheck will be issued on Friday the 11th.

No more paychecks after that until Trump and McConnell decide to allow the Senate to vote on funding government departments.

Like IRS tax refunds, govt. paychecks will also serve as "wall-hostages" for Trump, McConnell, and far-rightists like Rush Limbaugh and Anne Coulter.

Tax refund checks are not held hostage.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...unds-during-government-shutdown-official-says

Sorry about that, Nancy.

Lutherf

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

----------

I could SWEAR that you guys were telling us earlier in the year that the only people this tax bill would help was the wealthy? Why do you care if the wealthy don't get their refunds?

Common Sense 1

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Thanks to Mycroft for this information!

IRS Will Pay Tax Refunds During Shutdown, Easing Pressure for a Deal

The Internal Revenue Service will issue refunds to taxpayers even if the U.S. government shutdown extends into the filing season, a decision that may reduce political pressure on Congress and President Donald Trump to reach a deal to reopen the federal government.

“Tax refunds will go out,” the acting director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, Russell Vought, told reporters at a briefing on Monday. :applaud:rock

mike2810

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I could SWEAR that you guys were telling us earlier in the year that the only people this tax bill would help was the wealthy? Why do you care if the wealthy don't get their refunds?

Because some are not smart enough to figure out how much federal taxes to have withheld so at the end of the year you owe the IRS nothing or your getting less than couple hundred back. It amazes me how many people give the Feds a free loan for the year.

Lutherf

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Because some are not smart enough to figure out how much federal taxes to have withheld so at the end of the year you owe the IRS nothing or your getting less than couple hundred back. It amazes me how many people give the Feds a free loan for the year.

A few years back I picked up a new business client. Her "refund" the previous year was over $90k. I went back through prior years returns to see why it was that much and the firm she'd been working with had simply told her to send in estimates way, WAY beyond what she needed to. They then charged her a premium rate for doing the return and she was happy because she kept getting huge "refunds". It took me the better part of 10 years to convince her that she didn't need to send in those estimates.

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Everyone should get their tax refunds asap and refunds/paychecks should not be held hostage by Trump & McConnell LLC.

Bullseye

All Lives Matter or No Lives Matter
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

----------

. . . and Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi.

Praxas

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Last I checked people received tax returns even before the change from trump. Maybe you are confused as usual.

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm wondering when the House Democrats will begin holding up all legislation until the 6 government-funding CRs get passed.

Might as well go full FUBAR.

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Tax refund checks are not held hostage.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...unds-during-government-shutdown-official-says

Sorry about that, Nancy.

White House promises tax refunds will go out, but there’s hardly anyone at the IRS to do the work

Only about 12 percent of IRS staff is expected to continue working through a shutdown. “The processing of returns and customer service — most of those employees have been furloughed,” said Nicole Kaeding, director of federal projects at the Tax Foundation. “How will they bring those employees back, and will they be compensated while they’re working?” she asked. “Those are some large questions that haven’t been answered, even though they said refunds would be processed.”Meanwhile, House Ways and Means Committee staff told The New York Times on Monday that they were struggling to get clarity from administration officials, many of whom are out on furlough. "We keep trying to call people at IRS and Treasury,” said Daniel Rubin, a spokesman for the Ways and Means Committee, “and there’s no one there.” “People shouldn’t have to wait to get money back that’s theirs,” said Jeffrey Levine, CPA and director of financial planning at BluePrint Wealth Alliance in Garden City, New York. “It’s not their fault that the government is dysfunctional and shut down,” he said.

As usual, the Trump administration seems to be making assertions it probably cannot satisfy. Similar to Mexico will pay for Trumps wall.

Mycroft

Genius is where you find it.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I'm wondering when the House Democrats will begin holding up all legislation until the 6 government-funding CRs get passed.

Might as well go full FUBAR.

I'm thinking that would be a good thing.

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

----------

Red:
I couldn't care less about whether folks timely receive their tax refunds because I think folks are fools to structure their tax withholding such that, at the ends of years, they are due a refund instead of owing a small sum to the government.

Sure, it's one's right to structure income tax withholding that way, but insofar as the government doesn't pay interest on the excess to which it had access and use of during the year, it makes no sense to let the gov't have any excess...Given the time value of money, a dollar in one's pocket "now" is always better than a dollar "later."

trouble13

DP Veteran
Reaction score

----------

Trumps irs will only target holding up Democrat refunds. The rest of will be fine. We have our own lois lerner.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Red:
I couldn't care less about whether folks timely receive their tax refunds because I think folks are fools to structure their tax withholding such that, at the ends of years, they are due a refund instead of owing a small sum to the government.

Sure, it's one's right to structure income tax withholding that way, but insofar as the government doesn't pay interest on the excess to which it had access and use of during the year, it makes no sense to let the gov't have any excess...Given the time value of money, a dollar in one's pocket "now" is always better than a dollar "later."

I agree, but millions of Americans would rather accept the downside of overpaying weekly rather than have to suddenly come up with a chunk of money to send the Treasury.

That's just the way it is.

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left

LOTS of people opt to have more withheld out of their taxes so that they get a refund instead of having to owe. Rich people are less likely to get refunds because they can afford accountants who will ensure they pay no more than is needed. Nothing to do with the tax bill.

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I agree, but millions of Americans would rather accept the downside of overpaying weekly rather than have to suddenly come up with a chunk of money to send the Treasury.

That's just the way it is.

Red:
What's "sudden" about it? April 15[SUP]th[/SUP] comes annually.

Blue:
Yep. I have observed that to be so. LOL

I just haven't any sympathy for folks not getting their refunds.

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
please do. They have my full support. I hope all the Republicans go home if there is nothing to be voted on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Whatever. Trump owns this cluster****.

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down.”

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Red:
What's "sudden" about it? April 15[SUP]th[/SUP] comes annually.

Blue:
Yep. I have observed that to be so. LOL

I just haven't any sympathy for folks not getting their refunds.

I can understand worries about late tax refunds. Many live paycheck-to-paycheck and depend on those IRS checks for their kids school tuition etc.

Top Bottom