• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tax day deadline

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
How do you feel about federal tax money going to threaten, maim, and kill people all over Earth, and further degrading and destroying Earth's ecosystems?

US federal income tax revenues partially pay for:

* The second largest nuclear weapons arsenal

* The largest military budget, by far

* The most foreign military bases on Earth, by far

That's the short version. Maybe you like to believe that a significant portion of US military domination of Earth is benign or even beneficial. If so, how do arrive at that conclusion? Do you use barbarism in your life, besides paying federal income taxes?

Might there be better ways for humanity to exist and coexist?

Would you prefer to be able to check a box that supposedly puts your income taxes to use helping people in more positive ways?

Emily L

Don't leave the toilet seat up, please, HAL.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Antiwar, I understand your views. But what should we do if Putin were to come over here and start killing people like he is doing in Ukraine? That's why we have to have a strong military.

I sincerely like your peaceful attitude, and I really wish we didn't have to worry about these things. But we have to deal with the world the way it is, regardless of how much we would rather it not be like this.

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Antiwar, I understand your views. But what should we do if Putin were to come over here and start killing people like he is doing in Ukraine? That's why we have to have a strong military.

I sincerely like your peaceful attitude, and I really wish we didn't have to worry about these things. But we have to deal with the world the way it is, regardless of how much we would rather it not be like this.

Such a bull:poop: reply. And @MaryP fell for it.

"We have to threaten, maim, and kill people around the world (and further destroy the environment) because people are bad." :rolleyes:

Your gaslighting (I hope it's gaslighting) reminds me of the sign you'd see in auto parts stores and such (continued below meme):

1650064793475.png

Let's dig into your comment:

Do you use barbarism in your life, besides paying federal income taxes?

Emily L

DP Veteran
Reaction score

"We have to threaten, maim, and kill people around the world (and further destroy the environment) because people are bad." :rolleyes:

Your gaslighting (I hope it's gaslighting) reminds me of the sign you'd see in auto parts stores and such (continued below meme):

View attachment 67385841

But you didn't answer my question, Antiwar . . .

What should we do if Putin were to come over here and start killing people like he is doing in Ukraine?

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
But you didn't answer my question, Antiwar . . .

What should we do if Putin were to come over here and start killing people like he is doing in Ukraine?

Oh, you think P**** has something to do with US military domination of Earth?

What else would you like to talk about?

Peter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The US could certainly save a pretty penny by scrapping half your nukes.

That'll still leave you with enough to completely destroy a couple of entire continents if you so desire.

Emily L

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Oh, you think P**** has something to do with US military domination of Earth?

What else would you like to talk about?

But you still didn't answer my question, Antiwar. Why won't you answer it? There's no right or wrong answer--it's just asking for your opinion/advice . . .

Emily L

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Okay, I think I see what's going on here.

I hope to see you all in another thread . . .

RaleBulgarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

View attachment 67385841

Even when someone responds to in a thoughtful and polite manner, you still can’t stop yourself from posting like a complete douche.

Glad I don’t bother.

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Even when someone responds to in a thoughtful and polite manner, you still can’t stop yourself from posting like a complete douche.

Glad I don’t bother.

Her commentary is "gaslighting," like yours is, but "she" isn't abrasive when doing it.

Lutherf

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Glad I don’t bother.
Everybody has to do what they're best at! Some folks just have a somewhat more limited skill set than other people...and moss.

RaleBulgarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The US could certainly save a pretty penny by scrapping half your nukes.

That'll still leave you with enough to completely destroy a couple of entire continents if you so desire.
You do know that England was the third country, after the U.S. and Russia, to develop it’s own nuclear arsenal, right?

Peter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
You do know that England was the third country, after the U.S. and Russia, to develop it’s own nuclear arsenal, right?

Yep, and we have 60 compared to however many the US has.

MamboDervish

Looking Forward
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
How do you feel about federal tax money going to threaten, maim, and kill people all over Earth, and further degrading and destroying Earth's ecosystems?
How do you feel about posing specious arguments, and loaded questions?

Every thinking citizen of the US has at least some objections to the way our tax dollars are spent, whether it be on one federal program or another. It comes with the territory. Welcome to democracy - the dirtiest, messiest, most corrupt and unfair political system on earth - except for all the others.

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
How do you feel about posing specious arguments, and loaded questions?

Make your case.

Every thinking citizen of the US has at least some objections to the way our tax dollars are spent, whether it be on one federal program or another. It comes with the territory. Welcome to democracy - the dirtiest, messiest, most corrupt and unfair political system on earth - except for all the others.

Your specious argument reminds of the similar saying about capitalism.

RaleBulgarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Her commentary is "gaslighting," like yours is, but "she" isn't abrasive when doing it.
Hypocrite, know thyself.

Obnoxiousness, and pseudo–intellectual know-it-all twaddle aren’t the only characteristics of your threads/posts. Uncalled for abrasiveness is also common.

MamboDervish

Looking Forward
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Make your case.
Your OP will change nothing. Zippo. Nada. Zero. Who's your audience, and what are you imagining your intentions are? To provoke a widespread tax revolt? To promote some sort of legislation where individuals get to determine where their tax dollars are spent? Where will that legislation come from?!!? Do you really see that happening in a representative government? In a government where public servants are elected precisely to make those decisions for us? How do you see that working out in your lifetime? . . . . in your great, great grandchildren's lifetime??
Seriously . . .
Your specious argument reminds of the similar saying about capitalism.
Feel free to refute it.

RaleBulgarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We have 60 available at any time as we have 1 nuclear bomber sub at sea at all times with those 60 onboard.

The UK is building new Dreadnaught Subs for the role.
You sure?

“Of all the nuclear weapon states, the United Kingdom has moved the furthest toward establishing a minimum nuclear deterrent. The United Kingdom has a stockpile of approximately 225 nuclear warheads, of which up to 120 are operationally available for deployment on four Vanguard-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines (SSBNs).”

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Your OP will change nothing. Zippo. Nada. Zero. Who's your audience, and what are you imagining your intentions are? To provoke a widespread tax revolt? To promote some sort of legislation where individuals get to determine where their tax dollars are spent? Where will that legislation come from?!!? Do you really see that happening in a representative government? In a government where public servants are elected precisely to make those decisions for us? How do you see that working out in your lifetime? . . . . in your great, great grandchildren's lifetime??
Seriously . . .

So we should only comment on what can be easily changed?

Feel free to refute it.

You think your statement which can be rephrased as ... the US government being the dominant and aggravating military force is a good thing because it's called 'democracy'... needs to be refuted?

aociswundumho

Capitalist Pig
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

US federal income tax revenues partially pay for:

* The second largest nuclear weapons arsenal

* The largest military budget, by far

* The most foreign military bases on Earth, by far

That's the short version. Maybe you like to believe that a significant portion of US military domination of Earth is benign or even beneficial. If so, how do arrive at that conclusion? Do you use barbarism in your life, besides paying federal income taxes?

Might there be better ways for humanity to exist and coexist?

Would you prefer to be able to check a box that supposedly puts your income taxes to use helping people in more positive ways?

I'd prefer being able to check a box which gives fedgov nothing.

Top Bottom