• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Taser strapped on to the Robot

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Ok. So my title could use a little work. But think about this recent incident and the use of a bomb to take out an active threat. I don't have a problem with the idea of an officer killing the bad person with a button rather than a trigger. It wasn't automated, and it didn't risk anyone's life.

But we have the ability to put a gun on the same type of robot. Would it be any different? Maybe in perception, and if you wanted to reduce media attention you just write the report as "officer x shot the suspect" because...well he did. And all that thinking got me to my idea:

How feasible would it be to taser the guy with a taser strapped to a robot?

Ok. So my title could use a little work. But think about this recent incident and the use of a bomb to take out an active threat. I don't have a problem with the idea of an officer killing the bad person with a button rather than a trigger. It wasn't automated, and it didn't risk anyone's life.

But we have the ability to put a gun on the same type of robot. Would it be any different? Maybe in perception, and if you wanted to reduce media attention you just write the report as "officer x shot the suspect" because...well he did. And all that thinking got me to my idea:

I don't care what they do if it is justified: taser, shoot, blww up, hand-cuff, drag around...

I believe robots could in fact ensure safety for the perps

if controlled by the cop at a distance they no longer fear for their life and thus have better restraint and judgement

robotics all the way!!

Whatever a robot controlled by a cop does is the same thing as that cop doing it face to face legally but not as to the risk to the cop.

Tasers often don't actually incapacitate someone long enough for the officers to arrest them. Not sure how effective it would be in that case.

Tasers often don't actually incapacitate someone long enough for the officers to arrest them. Not sure how effective it would be in that case.

True, but the advantage of using a robot designed to such a task is it could carry a larger more sophisticated taser that COULD deliver the power needed.

It would have to be redesigned so it could not be made nonfunctional by gunshots from the suspect.

True, but the advantage of using a robot designed to such a task is it could carry a larger more sophisticated taser that COULD deliver the power needed.

I suppose, as long as it doesn't just end up killing the person. Tasers are an interesting piece of equipment. What kills one person, barely phases another.

I suppose, as long as it doesn't just end up killing the person. Tasers are an interesting piece of equipment. What kills one person, barely phases another.

True. All anyone can do is their best.

Whatever a robot controlled by a cop does is the same thing as that cop doing it face to face legally but not as to the risk to the cop.
This is why I had no issue with using a robot. I presume it was still controlled by a real officer, and I presume they confirmed the guy was alone (no chance of hostages or collateral damage).

True. All anyone can do is their best.

If only we could attach Spiderman like webs to the robots, crime would be over in America.

Robotics is nowhere near the point of chasing down a human.

Which is true, but if you have some guys outside waiting? It is possible. Not like they can tranquilize someone.

If only we could attach Spiderman like webs to the robots, crime would be over in America.

Sticky foam. They tried it. It was tough to work on humans, but the US army is trying again on cars from what I hear. Not quite like Spider-Man...but close. Lol. Give it time.

Back
Top Bottom