• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tariffs on Mexico and China?

Would you approve of putting 35% tariffs on Mexico and China

• Total voters

Anagram

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Would you approve of a 35% tariff being placed on goods sold from Mexico and China?

Would you approve of a 35% tariff being placed on goods sold from Mexico and China?

No. I don't want to screw over poor people.

No. I don't want to screw over poor people.

Poor people won't be screwed. Poor people buy things from pawn shops, thrift stores, discount stores, rent to own, and law-away or wait until tax refund day to buy something expensive.If anything it will help the poor by keeping their jobs in the US.

Last edited:
You would greatly increase the price of almost everything.

Yes. It will discourage factories from outsourcing, Plus it is pro-American to not line the pockets of foreign governments.Its also pro-American to keep jobs in the America instead of outsourcing them to countries who use that money to build up their military.

Poor people won't be screwed.

Only the ones who shop for stuff like clothes, basic household goods, etc.

If anything it will help the poor by keeping their jobs in the US.

40% of US exports include imports, and the idea that we wouldn't be immediately hit by retaliatory tariffs is fantasy.

The last time we tried this idea, it helped lead to the Great Depression. It's not going to keep anyone's job, it's going to cost people their jobs, and it's going to do so while spiking our cost of living.

40% of US exports include imports, and the idea that we wouldn't be immediately hit by retaliatory tariffs is fantasy.

The last time we tried this idea, it helped lead to the Great Depression. It's not going to keep anyone's job, it's going to cost people their jobs, and it's going to do so while spiking our cost of living.

For most people, protectionism is an argument against itself. For populists, like the average libertarian, economics exist in a vacuum devoid of space and time.

A tariff of 35%? No. An appropriate tariff to offset the amount that the Chinese and Mexican governments are pilfering from Americans yes. It may wind up being 35% but who can say.

Tariffs are among the most stupid and counterproductive forms of taxation. If somebody sincerely believes that erecting trade barriers is a way of strengthening local producers, why not create tariffs on trade between Massachusetts and Mississippi, or between New York City and Los Angeles?

The reasoning behind protectionism is not economic. On the side of workers afraid of losing their jobs it is not reasoning at all, it is fear multiplied by ignorance. On the side of politicians who promote these ideas, it is largely the old good crony-capitalist collusion: Give some temporary selective advantage to one sector or a particular corporation, and who cares about all the consumers who will face increasing cost of living and other American businesses who will suffer from higher prices of materials and spare parts.

How about we stop trying to block our own people's ability to trade peacefully, and focus more on our own ability to make stuff other people want to pay for? (Hint: A giant wall on a border is not one of those.)

35% seems completely and totally arbitrary to me; tariffs in proportion to a reasonable assessment of cost externalization in the form of averaged currency manipulation, environmental and labour standard costs would be much more tenable and rational. The Chinese should not be able to steal market share via a willingness to pollute, expose human beings to inhuman labour conditions, and directly and actively interfere with their exchange rates (to preempt some arguments I'm sure others will make, QE and basic Fed manipulation of interest rates are not even in the same ballpark as the Chinese peg).

Last edited:
The poor were somehow not able to get those things before trade with China and Mexico?

I am fine with things going back to the way it was before we had free trade with China and Mexico and other countries that companies outsource to in order to save a **** load money on labor.

Funny how anti-Americans make that claim, but yet the Great depression did not last. Saying that it helped lead to the great depression means that there were other factors involved than the prevention of outsourcing.

lulz at "greatly increase".

Pro-illegals also make the claim that if companies can't hire illegals then the price of tomatoes will skyrocket and no one will be around to clean our hotels or babysit our kids.Its just malarkey and scare mongering nonsense by anti-Americans to scare Americans into supporting anti-American nonsense that gives American jobs to foreigners and props up forign governments who then use that money to make themselves a bigger threat to the US. China right now is a threat out interests because of anti-Americans in office who suck the dicks of big business decided to give American jobs to China.What the **** did they think China was going to do with all that tax revenue?Give it to the poor?**** no, they used it to build up and modernize their military. Funny how the same people that told us communists are evil, communism is a threat to our existence, communism sucks balls and other crap about communism supported giving them American jobs which basically gave them the funds to build up and modernize their military.

Last edited:
A tariff of 35%? No. An appropriate tariff to offset the amount that the Chinese and Mexican governments are pilfering from Americans yes. It may wind up being 35% but who can say.
Pilfering, by selling stuff cheaper?

Define "goods sold from Mexico or China"

Is that an item from a Mexican company sold into the US or is that an item made by a US manufacturer that has a facility in Mexico?

Seems a bit steep and won't work if implemented suddenly. A better idea might be to give factories a set amount of time moving back, and if they fail to do so, an increasing tariff could be applied on imported goods. You have to do it gradually and fairly. No lobbying, no loopholes, and price increases are allowed only if profit falls under a predetermined unsustainable level.
I am no expert, but neither are those who are for moving our much needed jobs elsewhere, looking at our overall deficit.

I prefer to leave Mexico alone, but with a secure border and make E verify a federal law.

On China, I can see a "license tariff" IOW, recoup license fees on stolen technology going back seventeen years. If a product comes in with technology engineered from stolen technology or copied patents, the victimized company can recoup royalties retroactively collected on the dock, where it sits until it is settled, seagull crap and all.

Plus the conventional penalties for dumping, currency manipulation, slave labor,, child labor, etc.

Yes. It will discourage factories from outsourcing, Plus it is pro-American to not line the pockets of foreign governments.Its also pro-American to keep jobs in the America instead of outsourcing them to countries who use that money to build up their military.

Tariffs on products that are dumped by Canada, Mexico and China would level the import/export playing field that very bad trade deals have caused. NAFTA, and free trade zones and soon the ill advised TPP has/will caused.

The price of American goods have remained consistent since before outsourcing started when comparing purchasing power over time. The stuff getting sold isn't cheaper than before. Executives are just pocketing the difference. :roll:

China vs. the U.S.: It's Just as Cheap to Make Goods in the USA - Bloomberg
If what you linked is true, then there should be an explosion in US manufacturing. No mention of "executives pocketing the difference", so I'm not sure what evidence there is of that.

Personally, even if the costs were the same or even more, I'd still buy Japanese or South Korean cars over American as I don't want to contribute to the coffers of my political enemies domestically, but others may feel differently.

Tariffs on products that are dumped by Canada, Mexico and China would level the import/export playing field that very bad trade deals have caused. NAFTA, and free trade zones and soon the ill advised TPP has/will caused.

Free trade agreements with advanced countries that don't manipulate their currency such as Canada I have no problem with whatsoever; they have environmental and labour regulations that are just as rigourous if not more so as America's; outside of government subsidy (which should be penalized) there is no 'cheating' involved in their industry.

Last edited:
No mention of "executives pocketing the difference", so I'm not sure what evidence there is of that.

income_distribution_over_time.jpg
Either Executive's productivity has increased 281% or they're simply pocketing the difference. And at this point the infrastructure and logistics have moved overseas. Operating in this country would be the same, but the cost of moving all the capital back would be at great expense. That's why most articles misleading point out that the cost of goods would increase; they're only referring to the short term increases in operating costs that would be associated with rebuilding the manufacturing plants etc.

These added expenses could be offset in a number of ways, in particular a "grace period" for companies the reshore their businesses back into this country before being hit with tariffs.

Last edited:
Free trade agreements with advanced countries that don't manipulate their currency such as Canada I have no problem with whatsoever; they have environmental and labour regulations that are just as rigourous if not more so as America's; outside of government subsidy (which should be penalized) there is no 'cheating' involved in their industry.

Wrong...Canada dumps cheap lumber on the American market. Lumber mills are closing in the US because they are being under cut by the price of Canadian lumber with the blessing of the Canadian government..

Back
Top Bottom