• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tamir Rice shooting: Cleveland to pay $6 million to settle family's lawsuit

they pulled up and he was reaching for a gun that is why they shot.
I am sorry this kid died. it was a tragic event.

it shouldn't have happened, but it did because his parents were not responsible for what he was doing and where
he was at.
His parents are not a factor in this at all.

And the State is on the hook for 6 million. Nothing you say will take away from that. And if you don't want cities paying out huge amounts every time there is some unjustified killing, then we will have to look at better training and better less-than-lethal tools for police. And nothing you can say will take away from that.

You want to say, kid had a "gun", he got what was coming to him. City still laid 6 million dollars. And they will pay big each and every time shootings of this nature, abuse of power and force resulting in death occur. More and more often, we see this scenario coming to pass. That's reality. So, dealing with reality, to remove or limit these instances we need better training and better less-than-lethal tools for the police. That's end of story.

So keep saying it's the kid it's the kid, it's the kid alone!!!! But end of day, city had to pay out 6 million. Cities will continue to pay out big bucks till the problem is controlled or we're left with no cops. I'd venture to say the former is much preferred to the latter.
Cities will continue to pay. No doubt. Thats unfortunate and foolish but it is a bi-product of a- a corrupt legal system, b-a citizenry that desperately needs a nanny and c-fools.

There are indeed legitimate instances where police and indeed cities should be held responsible. Incidents such as THESE where a ****head thought it would be fun to threaten strangers and then jump up and reach for a weapon when cops pulled up to respond to his own stupid actions and where his family KNEW he had the gun and knew he used it to threaten people...well...incidents such as these should not be considered one of those 'legitimate instances'.

His parents are not a factor in this at all.

ol yes they are.
so is his grandmother that was I guess watching him.
they are 100% responsible for this.

ol yes they are.
so is his grandmother that was I guess watching him.
they are 100% responsible for this.
No they aren't. The fact that you think that they are 100% responsible is completely laughable.

From the bottom of my heart, **** you.

I can't believe you're treating this child's death like it's a joke.

It's ****ing disgusting that you think that the cops actions are actually justifiable. He shot Tamir without warning. Why didn't they just stop from a distance and speak to him from there? Why didn't they just ask him if the gun was real? Why didn't they just confiscate the toy gun? Why was it necessary to shoot him within seconds of arriving?

Tamir didn't have time to register the situation and raise hands, the Police drove up on curb and basically do a drive by on the kid and even the 911 Caller knew it was a toy and mentioned it to the dispatcher. And driving up on an "armed" suspect and shooting isn't police protocol. Maybe if they didn't do that, Tamir would've had time to register the situation.

Police always seem to act like badasses when a person is unarmed. I wonder what would have happened if they had rolled up point blank on an armed individual with a real gun with an actual intent to kill? There's be at least one dead officer and quite possibly at least two.

From the bottom of my heart, **** you.

I can't believe you're treating this child's death like it's a joke.

It's ****ing disgusting that you think that the cops actions are actually justifiable. He shot Tamir without warning. Why didn't they just stop from a distance and speak to him from there? Why didn't they just ask him if the gun was real? Why didn't they just confiscate the toy gun? Why was it necessary to shoot him within seconds of arriving?

Tamir didn't have time to register the situation and raise hands, the Police drove up on curb and basically do a drive by on the kid and even the 911 Caller knew it was a toy and mentioned it to the dispatcher. And driving up on an "armed" suspect and shooting isn't police protocol. Maybe if they didn't do that, Tamir would've had time to register the situation.
They didnt shoot 'Tamir'. They didnt shoot a cute widdle man with a baby face. They didnt shoot this guy...
141126162445-12-year-old-boy-killed-tamir-rice-large-169.jpg

That cute little kid wasnt anywhere to be found that day. No...instead...they shot this guy
34306114001_3911285044001_video-still-for-video-3911316537001.jpg

As for your "**** you" comment...Thank you! I appreciate the sentiment assuming you mean you want to **** me. Or maybe you are just offering me a good ****ing at some time. That would be swell too. Or perhaps you are not personally the one that wants to engage in the ****ing and are just meaning that in the general sense...like...maybe later tonight we should have a good ****. However you meant it, please know the sentiment is very much appreciated.

Police always seem to act like badasses when a person is unarmed. I wonder what would have happened if they had rolled up point blank on an armed individual with a real gun with an actual intent to kill? There's be at least one dead officer and quite possibly at least two.
Yeah, they must've been taking notes from the GTA police.

Yeah, they must've been taking notes from the GTA police.
Look at yourself.

You are rapidly losing all credibility. This isnt about THIS instance. This is about a general hatred of police officers and a bigoted belief that all cops kill poor innocent little people and if they ever confronted real bad guys they would just lay over and die.

Look at yourself.

You are rapidly losing all credibility. This isnt about THIS instance. This is about a general hatred of police officers and a bigoted belief that all cops kill poor innocent little people and if they ever confronted real bad guys they would just lay over and die.

What the flying **** are you going on about?

What I said has **** all to do with what you just posted.

What the flying **** are you going on about?

What I said has **** all to do with what you just posted.
What you have said...twice now...presents your obvious hatred for cops and your imbalanced position on this topic. Everything...EVERYTHING you have posted has been driven by drama and hyperbole. You have zero objectivity.

What you have said...twice now...presents your obvious hatred for cops and your imbalanced position on this topic. Everything...EVERYTHING you have posted has been driven by drama and hyperbole. You have zero objectivity.

I don't hate cops Vance, that's a misguided assumption on your part. I am PO'ed because the cops, in this instance, were 100% WRONG.

Read more @: Tamir Rice shooting: Cleveland to pay $6 million to settle family's lawsuit

I think its still wrong that the officer and the dispatchers involved will not admit any wrongdoing. The seems to be just another continuation of allowing the powerful to buy their way out of justice being sought.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Because there was no wrongdoing.

In fact it is a terrible idea for the city to settle with Tamir rice his family, The city is on solid legal footing

I don't hate cops Vance, that's a misguided assumption on your part. I am PO'ed because the cops, in this instance, were 100% WRONG.
Sorry...but when you endorse comments that suggest cops only shoot innocent and unarmed individuals and that you believe cops would have shot him even if he were standing with his hands up, your words tell a very different story.

In THIS instance...Tamir Rice did some incredibly stupid things. Its a shame he is dead because of it but that IS why he is dead. You and others want to keep talking about the child'. The 'child' on that day made himself into a suspect by threatening strangers with a gun and then jumping up and approaching police while reaching for his gun.

Oh right, clearly he was going to shoot them to death with a toy gun. :roll:

That was an imitation of a real mode of firearm with no orange barrel indicator

And the State is on the hook for 6 million. Nothing you say will take away from that. And if you don't want cities paying out huge amounts every time there is some unjustified killing, then we will have to look at better training and better less-than-lethal tools for police. And nothing you can say will take away from that.

You want to say, kid had a "gun", he got what was coming to him. City still laid 6 million dollars. And they will pay big each and every time shootings of this nature, abuse of power and force resulting in death occur. More and more often, we see this scenario coming to pass. That's reality. So, dealing with reality, to remove or limit these instances we need better training and better less-than-lethal tools for the police. That's end of story.

So keep saying it's the kid it's the kid, it's the kid alone!!!! But end of day, city had to pay out 6 million. Cities will continue to pay out big bucks till the problem is controlled or we're left with no cops. I'd venture to say the former is much preferred to the latter.

The city did not have to pay out $6 million, they chose to to keep this matter out of the courts and the media

They chose to settle, if they were willing to take this case through trial and possibly an appeal it is almost guaranteed they (the city) would've prevailed in the court system

Sorry...but when you endorse comments that suggest cops only shoot innocent and unarmed individuals and that you believe cops would have shot him even if he were standing with his hands up, your words tell a very different story.

In THIS instance...Tamir Rice did some incredibly stupid things. Its a shame he is dead because of it but that IS why he is dead. You and others want to keep talking about the child'. The 'child' on that day made himself into a suspect by threatening strangers with a gun and then jumping up and approaching police while reaching for his gun.

He is dead because the cops handled the situation very poorly

They did not need to drive right up next to him, get out and shoot within a few seconds. They could have easily stopped about 20 yards away, and talked to him or at least tried to talk to him before shooting him. They gave Tamir zero chance to do anything before shooting him.

OK bad tactics, put a note in the officers file.

Doesn't change the legality of the shoot

Its not a guy. Its a sixth grader.

Who was taller then me and weighed more then me, a 23 year old adult.

And he possessed a pellet gun that's an exacting replica of a real pistol I have purchased

They did not need to drive right up next to him, get out and shoot within a few seconds. They could have easily stopped about 20 yards away, and talked to him or at least tried to talk to him before shooting him. They gave Tamir zero chance to do anything before shooting him.
Bad tactics do not make the shoot illegal.

It is really irrelevant, you can be shoot dead at 20 yards same as 20 inches. The officers would like To have a talk with them, unfortunately Tamir didn't want to chat he wanted to show off his replica pistol

And fat people are fat because McDonalds makes tasty fries.

Bad tactics do not make the shoot illegal.

It is really irrelevant, you can be shoot dead at 20 yards same as 20 inches. The officers would like To have a talk with them, unfortunately Tamir didn't want to chat he wanted to show off his replica pistol

And when did Tamir have a choice to talk to the police officers?

When they slammed on the brakes right next to him? Perhaps when they got out of the car and fired immediately. I doubt they even had time to say drop the gun or don't move before shooting.

If the cops wanted to talk they could have created a situation that would have allowed it to occur. Rather then putting Tamir in danger and potentially themselves

And fat people are fat because McDonalds makes tasty fries.

Fat people make the choice to go to Mcdonalds, the cops decided to stop right next to Tamir and then shoot him. The cops could have made a different decision on where to stop, and to actually try to engage Tamir in a conversation rather then choosing to stop right next to him and shooting right when they get out of the car

Fat people make the choice to go to Mcdonalds, the cops decided to stop right next to Tamir and then shoot him. The cops could have made a different decision on where to stop, and to actually try to engage Tamir in a conversation rather then choosing to stop right next to him and shooting right when they get out of the car

When the call is someone is pointing a gun at people the first step is not conversation. It is to secure the scene. Once that takes place, THEN you have conversation

And when did Tamir have a choice to talk to the police officers?

When they slammed on the brakes right next to him? Perhaps when they got out of the car and fired immediately. I doubt they even had time to say drop the gun or don't move before shooting.

If the cops wanted to talk they could have created a situation that would have allowed it to occur. Rather then putting Tamir in danger and potentially themselves

Before reaching for his toy.

Back
Top Bottom