• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tamir Rice shooting: Cleveland to pay $6 million to settle family's lawsuit

The cops never saw the gun, so your point is utter nonsense.
Did he jump up when the cops arrived? Did he walk toward them? Did he raise his shirt? Was the weapon there?

Funny how you want to pretend what didnt happen actually DID happen, on video.

Yep. So did my kids. However what i did not do was go to the park and intentionally menace strangers with a gun that had been modified to look real. I also didnt jump up when approached by cops and reach for said gun. See...had I done that, I'd probably have been shot.

Oh...and if my grandmother knew I was doing it? The cops wouldnt have been necessary. She would have resolved that probably when she first found out about it.

The childish connections you are trying to draw...its completely unrelated to THIS CASE. You get that...right?

No, I dont get it. The cops F'ed up and the city paid for their poor judgement. The fact that you continue to blame a child is beyond stupid.

What a country. Send your kid out in the streets with a gun to threaten people...hit the lottery.

Not sure dying is the "lottery", but yes, so long as the police act too quickly, resort to deadly force without threat assessments, and take the lives of the Republic's citizens unduly, we'll be paying out big.

That's why if you want to avoid being on the line for such large payouts, you have to push for better training and better, less-than-lethal tools for the police.

No, I dont get it. The cops F'ed up and the city paid for their poor judgement. The fact that you continue to blame a child is beyond stupid.
Do you get that it is asinine for you to compare a child playing in a yard with a gun to a kid brandishing a weapon in a public park and threatening them with it?

Did you watch the video? And are you really dishonest enough to claim you would have been able to tell the difference between a real gun and the 'toy' gun the kid was using?

Yep. So did my kids. However what i did not do was go to the park and intentionally menace strangers with a gun that had been modified to look real. I also didnt jump up when approached by cops and reach for said gun. See...had I done that, I'd probably have been shot.

Oh...and if my grandmother knew I was doing it? The cops wouldnt have been necessary. She would have resolved that probably when she first found out about it.

The childish connections you are trying to draw...its completely unrelated to THIS CASE. You get that...right?
WTF. Are you seriously blaming the ****ing kid?! Unbelievable.

What the cops did to Tamir Rice is indefensible.

Not sure dying is the "lottery", but yes, so long as the police act too quickly, resort to deadly force without threat assessments, and take the lives of the Republic's citizens unduly, we'll be paying out big.

That's why if you want to avoid being on the line for such large payouts, you have to push for better training and better, less-than-lethal tools for the police.
Pay away. I dont live in Cleveland.

23B85B3E00000578-0-image-a-5_1417711503074.jpg

Thats the guy responsible for the shooting. Even if we give grandma a pass...

That is really unnecessary and unproductive. The kid was 12 years old. Calling him stupid as you did is what is ridiculous. I played with toy guns all the time when I was a kid and no cops rolled up on me with guns blazing. Tamir Rice was not stupid, he was a child. The stupid ones were the police who drove right up on him and shot him at point blank range. And I say this as a defender of the police. They screwed up here and a 12 year old is dead because of thier 'stupidity.' Tamir Rice is the victim here. Blaming him or his family reflects poorly upon you and anyone else who does so.

no he was stupid to point the gun at people which got the cops out there to begin with.
he was more stupid to jump up and walk towards the cops when they showed up.
he continued to be dumb by removing the orange tip from the pellet gun to begin with.
the final straw was him reaching for it when the cops got there.

the last fact is that the parents shouldn't get a dime for letting their son point a gun at people
in the first place. that is the dumbest thing of all.

Have you watched the video?
I watched the ****ing video, and I saw how the cops just rolled up on him (way too close I might add), and shot him dead within mere seconds without even fully assessing the situation.

WTF. Are you seriously blaming the ****ing kid?! Unbelievable.

What the cops did to Tamir Rice is indefensible.

no it is purely defensible.

They get a call about a kid in a park threatening people with a gun.
This kid is pointing a gun at people in a park.

the police show up and instead of not moving and not doing anything.
this kid jumps up and walks towards them reaching for the gun in question.

since the kid removed the orange tip on the gun to show that it was a toy bb gun
it looked like a real gun.

the police shot as they would in any situation like that were someone is reaching for a gun
and walking towards them.

maybe the parents should teach their kids to not point guns at people.
no this kid and his parents are 100% in the wrong and should not be rewarded for it.

I watched the ****ing video, and I saw how the cops just rolled up on him (way too close I might add), and shot him dead within mere seconds without even fully assessing the situation.

I have seen the video as well. they pull up he getting up and reaching for the gun as they pull up.
one thing that you never do in front of a cop is reach for a weapon.

closeness is irrelevant. they pulled up and he was up reaching for a gun.
that is stupid.

no it is purely defensible.

They get a call about a kid in a park threatening people with a gun.
This kid is pointing a gun at people in a park.

the police show up and instead of not moving and not doing anything.
this kid jumps up and walks towards them reaching for the gun in question.

since the kid removed the orange tip on the gun to show that it was a toy bb gun
it looked like a real gun.

the police shot as they would in any situation like that were someone is reaching for a gun
and walking towards them.

maybe the parents should teach their kids to not point guns at people.
no this kid and his parents are 100% in the wrong and should not be rewarded for it.

You are unbelievable.

They weren't "rewarded", they got COMPENSATION from the police killing their ****ing kid! Tamir's family is never going to have their son back. That's hardly a reward.

He was playing with a BB Gun in the park, and it was stupid of him to remove the orange tip, but what the **** do you expect kids his age to do?

And Tamir wasn't threatening people, he was waving it around because be was playing with it.

And even the 911 caller said that the gun is probably a fake, but they weren't sure.

Tamir wasn't "walking" towards them either. He was sitting on a bench, and the police just rolled up on him way too ****ing closely, and shot him dead in mere seconds without giving the kid a chance at all.

I have seen the video as well. they pull up he getting up and reaching for the gun as they pull up.
one thing that you never do in front of a cop is reach for a weapon.

closeness is irrelevant. they pulled up and he was up reaching for a gun.
that is stupid.

The closeness is ENTIRELY relevant. If there's someone with a gun, the police usually don't pull up right next to the suspect. They get some distance so they can take cover. But the didn't even do that in this case. They just rolled up on him and shot him.

And the cops rolled up and shot him in a split second, he had no time to put his hands up, and I bet even if he did they still would've shot him.

Did you watch the video of him threatening people on the sidewalk? Now..with the FULL picture and without the emotionality and drama...

Cops get a call...call is for a suspect threatening people with a gun in a park. Cops respond. When they arrive on scene the observe the suspect (that has been described as armed with a gun) jump up, walk toward them, and raise his shirt and begin reaching for what turns out was in fact the weapon the cops had been advised about.

Yes. That is on the 'kid'. The 'child'. The poor innocent widdle man. Absolutely. Doing stupid things tends to come with consequence. A reasonable consequence of using a gun to threaten people in a park and then jumping up and reaching for that gun when the cops arrive is that your stupid ass will be shot. We can agree it was a tragic incident. But there are a few people responsible for that shooting...the kid...and his grandmother for not stopping him from doing stupid **** that she knew about.

Its not a guy. Its a sixth grader.
No...when the person in question is threatening people on a sidewalk with a gun it is a 'suspect'.

The closeness is ENTIRELY relevant. If there's someone with a gun, the police usually don't pull up right next to the suspect. They get some distance so they can take cover. But the didn't even do that in this case. They just rolled up on him and shot him.

And the cops rolled up and shot him in a split second, he had no time to put his hands up, and I bet even if he did they still would've shot him.
You just betrayed every word you have said on this subject. Dont worry...you represent a lot of people.

Do you get that it is asinine for you to compare a child playing in a yard with a gun to a kid brandishing a weapon in a public park and threatening them with it?

Did you watch the video? And are you really dishonest enough to claim you would have been able to tell the difference between a real gun and the 'toy' gun the kid was using?

Ive watched the video. The cops drive right up on top of a 'person' with a gun and shot literally within 2 seconds. There is no way you could look at that video and say the police acted properly--forget the safety of Tamir Rice for a second, they endangered themselves by getting so close to the kid. Had the gun been real, they were in danger. This is a child we are talking about here, a child with a toy gun. The fact that he is dead is the responsibility of the police. They know it, thats why they paid.

The cop wasn't the one waving around a toy that looked like a real weapon.

The thug cop is the murderer. Too bad he gets to keep on breathing.

No...when the person in question is threatening people on a sidewalk with a gun it is a 'suspect'.

It was a child with a toy gun. Proper police work would have resulted in a different outcome.

It was a child with a toy gun. Proper police work would have resulted in a different outcome.
It was a suspect with a gun that had spent an hour threatening random strangers in the park. Said suspect with a gun jumped up and approached the cop car when thy arrived on scene, pulled up his shirt and reached for his weapon. He was shot because he engaged in a series of stupid unfortunate events.

Pay away. I dont live in Cleveland.

View attachment 67200565

Thats the guy responsible for the shooting. Even if we give grandma a pass...

And the State is on the hook for 6 million. Nothing you say will take away from that. And if you don't want cities paying out huge amounts every time there is some unjustified killing, then we will have to look at better training and better less-than-lethal tools for police. And nothing you can say will take away from that.

You want to say, kid had a "gun", he got what was coming to him. City still laid 6 million dollars. And they will pay big each and every time shootings of this nature, abuse of power and force resulting in death occur. More and more often, we see this scenario coming to pass. That's reality. So, dealing with reality, to remove or limit these instances we need better training and better less-than-lethal tools for the police. That's end of story.

So keep saying it's the kid it's the kid, it's the kid alone!!!! But end of day, city had to pay out 6 million. Cities will continue to pay out big bucks till the problem is controlled or we're left with no cops. I'd venture to say the former is much preferred to the latter.

You are unbelievable.

They weren't "rewarded", they got COMPENSATION from the police killing their ****ing kid! Tamir's family is never going to have their son back. That's hardly a reward.

They should have gotten 0. that is a sad thing for them to lose their son. Had they taken a more active role in his life he might be alive.
examples of you really shouldn't point guns at people. you shouldn't take that gun outside and threaten people with it.
you shouldn't remove that safety tip so that people will think it is a real gun.

the parents or grandparents of this kids are 95% responsible for his death.

He was playing with a BB Gun in the park, and it was stupid of him to remove the orange tip, but what the **** do you expect kids his age to do?
He wasn't playing with a bb gun in the park. he was threatening people with it and pointing it at people which generated the call to the cops to begin with.
that is not playing. that or you seriously have a screwed up definition of the word playing.

And Tamir wasn't threatening people, he was waving it around because be was playing with it.

He was waving it around at people. that is why they called the cops. you don't wave a gun around at people.
it is a pretty stupid thing to do.

And even the 911 caller said that the gun is probably a fake, but they weren't sure.

the cops can't go with not sure. they aren't going to. they are not going to risk their lives or someone else's on a not sure.

Tamir wasn't "walking" towards them either. He was sitting on a bench, and the police just rolled up on him way too ****ing closely, and shot him dead in mere seconds without giving the kid a chance at all.

umm no he got up and was walking toward them the video is pretty clear.
he was also reaching for the gun in his pants.

they pulled up and he was reaching for a gun that is why they shot.
I am sorry this kid died. it was a tragic event.

it shouldn't have happened, but it did because his parents were not responsible for what he was doing and where
he was at.

Yes. That is on the 'kid'. The 'child'. The poor innocent widdle man. Absolutely. Doing stupid things tends to come with consequence. A reasonable consequence of using a gun to threaten people in a park and then jumping up and reaching for that gun when the cops arrive is that your stupid ass will be shot. We can agree it was a tragic incident. But there are a few people responsible for that shooting...the kid...and his grandmother for not stopping him from doing stupid **** that she knew about.

From the bottom of my heart, **** you.

I can't believe you're treating this child's death like it's a joke.

It's ****ing disgusting that you think that the cops actions are actually justifiable. He shot Tamir without warning. Why didn't they just stop from a distance and speak to him from there? Why didn't they just ask him if the gun was real? Why didn't they just confiscate the toy gun? Why was it necessary to shoot him within seconds of arriving?

Tamir didn't have time to register the situation and raise hands, the Police drove up on curb and basically do a drive by on the kid and even the 911 Caller knew it was a toy and mentioned it to the dispatcher. And driving up on an "armed" suspect and shooting isn't police protocol. Maybe if they didn't do that, Tamir would've had time to register the situation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom