• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Talking About Strange Bedfellows

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
On Monday, Al Gore is going to make his MLK speech about wiretapping in America, and will proclaim that America is in the midst of a Constitutional crisis. Now here is the clincher. Guess who is introducing him? Bob Barr. But the bottom line is that it doesnt matter which political party you belong to, but what America stands for, and if we as a nation are going to stand up for the Constitution of the United States of America. I can see how that would bring Gore and Barr together. Surely, the United States of America, her ideals, and her laws, should trancend party lines. Perhaps some Liberals and Conservatives are beginning put put aside their differences in order to take a stand on what they see as common ground - Their love for America and what it stands for.

Article is here.

Last edited:
Ten bucks says, no one cares.;)

A Martin Luther King speech on wiretapping? Ooookay. :roll:

Gore use to be a Conservative and pro life..........He would seel his soul for a vote.........

Navy Pride said:
Gore use to be a Conservative and pro life..........He would seel his soul for a vote.........

And Bob Barr?

KCConservative said:
A Martin Luther King speech on wiretapping? Ooookay. :roll:
Yeah, I don't get that at all. Seems more of an opportunity to grandstand than to honor MLK.

danarhea said:
And Bob Barr?

Bob Barr joined the ACLU after he retired and has been active protecting civil liberties and privacy rights. He's not as right-wing as a lot of people think.

Kandahar said:
Bob Barr joined the ACLU after he retired and has been active protecting civil liberties and privacy rights. He's not as right-wing as a lot of people think.

Right wing is not what it used to be. You have the Neocons and the traditional. Perhaps Barr is more traditional.

I hate duplicating posts, but had put this up on another thread before I read this one. This is pretty short, so I'll just copy and paste it here...

From the details of a speech that Al Gore is expected to give on Monday at Constitution Hall in DC:

“We are at a point of constitutional crisis,... The president who has violated the law is acting above the law. It’s a wakeup call for Congress, the American people and the courts. If we continue down this road we will have a different constitution.

According to the blogger, the aide that provided the details noted that Gore prepares the final editions of his speeches just before he delivers them, but that the tenor of the speech "would focus on what...[he] described as a President acting above the law".

Lets see, Gore was VP when? Oh, yeah, when the Clinton administration was doing what? For the answers, see the previous post...

Source.

danarhea said:
And Bob Barr?

I personally think Barr went of the deep end long ago especially after he was destroyed in his effort for re election.........

"We're talking about infringement of privacy, and even of the very Constitution itself, which I fear is being heavily violated by a system like Echelon. Our administration of justice act is also endangered. Spying on American citizens across a wide front is out of line. The law simply forbids it, and I'm afraid that that is exactly what is happening."
"We simply must find out what the NSA is doing with these global surveillance systems. Whether it takes open or closed hearings or in the way in which the NSA prepares some of its reports. But as a representative of the people, we politicians must be able to assure the people that all these initiatives are obeying the law. And I really hope that the NSA will not exploit American law to keep silent."

Both of the above quotes are from Bob Barr. He feels VERY strongly that NSA spying is wrong.

What is ironic and almost hilarious is that these quotes are from 1999 when Barr was calling for an investigation of the Echelon program instituted by the Clinton administration....when Gore was V-P!!

oldreliable67 said:
I hate duplicating posts, but had put this up on another thread before I read this one. This is pretty short, so I'll just copy and paste it here...

From the details of a speech that Al Gore is expected to give on Monday at Constitution Hall in DC:

Lets see, Gore was VP when? Oh, yeah, when the Clinton administration was doing what? For the answers, see the previous post...

Source.

Yeah, wasn't Gore the VP when project Echelon was implemented?
Do as I say not as I do?

The system needs to be adjusted so that honest folks have a real chance to get into office.

I'm so tired of these guys who see us as mere rubes.

Back
Top Bottom