• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Talk about making children fell bad about themselves!!

A coach goes to the middle of the field and prays and soon some of his players begin to join him. Nothing wrong here say religious conservatives, but what about he children who have different beliefs but feel forced by peer pressure to join the praying. Do not try and tell me that the peer pressure isn't there and that those who do not join in are not "left out" and thus feel bad about themselves. This is exactly why previous courts have ruled against such demonstrations of a person's religion. This is especially true when it is a person in authority and one who is in the hire of a government agency. Soon we will be back to having Christian prayers at the beginning of classes and those who not join in will be ostracized by the other students.
On the list of America's troubles this one belongs on the bottom of the last page.

OK, then explain how Christmas (Christ’s mass?) is an acceptable federal holiday (holy day?).

It appears that 12 states celebrate Good Friday as a holiday.

They should not be federal holidays because Passover, Yom Kippur, and the various days of Ramadan are not federal holidays either. The same applies to Halloween.

It’s the end of the football game for everyone too - they are free to either stay or leave.
He is a state actor and he is not to be taking part in religious activities on the job, especially with students who are taught to follow the lead of the coach. The duties of a coach are not in any way religious. Keep it that way.

Irrelevant to the 1st Amendment. This is about the coach and the players, not the spectators.

It is 100% about the 1A and is not being asserted to be an establishment of religion.

It is 100% about the 1A and is not being asserted to be an establishment of religion.
Nobody is forced to listen to a govt. led prayer because they got the day off. You're searching for something that just isn't there.

Nobody is forced to listen to a govt. led prayer because they got the day off. You're searching for something that just isn't there.

Nobody is forced to go to the 50 yard line after the football game.

It’s the end of the football game for everyone too - they are free to either stay or leave.
I guess you forget what it was like in school when you wanted to be like everyone else, especially the popular kids.

It was my point and a fact, whether you agree with it or not.
Do you really think if the rst of the team goes, you would not have followed when you were in high school. Do not lie, yo know you would have.

A coach goes to the middle of the field and prays and soon some of his players begin to join him. Nothing wrong here say religious conservatives, but what about he children who have different beliefs but feel forced by peer pressure to join the praying.
The game is over, any player who want to head back to the locker room is free to do so. The players and the coaches (usually from both team BTW) who choose to meet up at 50 yard line and pray are doing so of their own freewill. Nobody is forcing anyone to pray. What kind of people "feel" pressured into doing something they don't agree with?
Well, other than kids already primed to "feel" they need follow along with any group think, usually the crap liberal progressive teachers with liberal agendas are slinging DURING CLASS.

Do not try and tell me that the peer pressure isn't there and that those who do not join in are not "left out" and thus feel bad about themselves.
If they feel "left out" then what is the problem with that, if it is something they don't agree with anyway. If the all of the players decided to pray and then go storm the Capital, are you suggesting those other kids would feel "left out" if they knew better than do something they didn't already agree with? How mindless and stupid are you suggesting that high school kids are? Ever hear the old saying, "just because everyone else is jumping off a cliff..."

This is exactly why previous courts have ruled against such demonstrations of a person's religion.
Yeah, in the classrooom, during class time, by teachers. This isn't in the class room, not during school, and not even before or during the game. Game is OVER.

This is especially true when it is a person in authority and one who is in the hire of a government agency.
I'll remember you said that next time somebody defends an elementary school teacher telling 1st graders that they can change their gender.

Soon we will be back to having Christian prayers at the beginning of classes and those who not join in will be ostracized by the other students.
Bullshit, that isn't what a after game prayer is.

The game is over, any player who want to head back to the locker room is free to do so. The players and the coaches (usually from both team BTW) who choose to meet up at 50 yard line and pray are doing so of their own freewill. Nobody is forcing anyone to pray. What kind of people "feel" pressured into doing something they don't agree with?
Well, other than kids already primed to "feel" they need follow along with any group think, usually the crap liberal progressive teachers with liberal agendas are slinging DURING CLASS.

If they feel "left out" then what is the problem with that, if it is something they don't agree with anyway. If the all of the players decided to pray and then go storm the Capital, are you suggesting those other kids would feel "left out" if they knew better than do something they didn't already agree with? How mindless and stupid are you suggesting that high school kids are? Ever hear the old saying, "just because everyone else is jumping off a cliff..."

Yeah, in the classrooom, during class time, by teachers. This isn't in the class room, not during school, and not even before or during the game. Game is OVER.

I'll remember you said that next time somebody defends an elementary school teacher telling 1st graders that they can change their gender.

Bullshit, that isn't what a after game prayer is.
The Supreme Court has long said that public school-sponsored prayer violates the Establishment Clause, even if the prayer is voluntary...

^^^ right there

some detail

While Kennedy routinely prayed on the field after games for more than seven years, attracting varying levels of participation from students, it wasn’t until 2015 that the school district informed him that separation of church and state meant he could no longer pray with players and keep his job.

“They just said if anybody could see you anywhere here, it was over,” Kennedy said.

The school district explained at the time that the prayers violated “constitutionally-required directives that he refrain from engaging in overt, public religious displays on the football field while on duty.”

Some Bremerton High School parents like Paul Peterson, whose son Aaron played for coach Kennedy in 2010, later complained the prayer sessions were applying inappropriate pressure.

“The coach is a leader. The coach is a mentor. If he goes to the 50-yard line, he has a message he wants to deliver, and so the players would follow,” said Peterson in an interview.

“The harm is to those who are the minority students, the minority faiths, the students who have no faith,” he said. “They are being pressured into doing something that they don’t fundamentally agree with.That’s what the First Amendment protects us from.”

I guess you forget what it was like in school when you wanted to be like everyone else, especially the popular kids.
Yeah, that never happened to people like me and my friends. We were pretty much like the Mafia; we had "our thing" and you were only invited in, and had to earn it.

If you played HS football, did your team typically play the last down and then turn and walk to their cars in their uniforms? We didn't. We headed to the locker room not only to shower and change but because the coach would talk to us win or lose. Team activities did not end until the coach told us we were done.
So give up on the "free to leave before the prayer" argument.

I played my HS football at a private school, so this would have definitely allowed there.

I played my college football at James Madison University, which is a public college, so that wouldn't have been allowed there.

Nobody is forced to go to the 50 yard line after the football game.

Well, not necessarily. A player who wants to be sure to stay in the coach's good graces might feel reluctant to pass.

I just don't understand this issue. Religious belief is a good thing unless taken to an extreme. However it is, or should be, an incredibly personal thing that is best left outside of the public school system and government agencies. Both freedom of religion and separation of church and state can coexist with no problem. I swear you people just want to find issues to fight with each other. I can't even begin to imagine the wonder you could be if you just chilled on who is right and who is wrong.
1650969861604.png

On the list of America's troubles this one belongs on the bottom of the last page.
Yes, just above legislation to keep teachers from turning kids gay or teaching them to hate being white via CRT that isn't being taught anyway.

BTW- you know it was the coach who filed suit?

Well, not necessarily. A player who wants to be sure to stay in the coach's good graces might feel reluctant to pass.
This concept, along with perhaps the pressure to go along with your teammates has been explained to him about 42 times across 3 threads. Yet he keeps making the same argument.
Unfortunately, the religious conservatives on the Court are likely to accept that argument.

Keep telling yourself that
How is BLM(the idea that black people, as well as other minorities, have equal value to white conservatives) a religion? Is there a god, a revealed set of beliefs, and a church?

Back
Top Bottom