• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Talk about Annoying Door to Door Ministry.....

Caine

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I recieved this story in my email I get from the Charlotte Observer, local newspaper here in Charlotte, NC............

This has got to be the worst case of Door to Door Ministry I have ever heard....

If you think having church people come to your door trying to get you to go to church and worship JESUS CHRIST (PRAISE THE LOARD!) is bad....

Check out this link...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/living/13410491.htm

Christians, Jews, Muslims and others in 35,000 Charlotte households are getting a surprise Christmas gift: A DVD on Jesus.
The DVDs are due to begin arriving this week in homes in 16 ZIP codes, a gift from a Christian campaign determined to mail the "JESUS" DVD to every home in Mecklenburg County.
That's the tip of the evangelical iceberg -- Mecklenburg is part of the JESUS Film Project, which seeks to circulate the film worldwide. Begun by Campus Crusade for Christ International, organizers say the movie has been seen more than 5 billion times and translated into 900 languages. It has been circulated in parts of the Carolinas.
Larry Spach, co-leader of the Mecklenburg effort, described the two-hour film as an electronic version of a Christian tract.
"People will not read anymore," he told the Observer. "We feel like this is a medium that they will look at. ... We feel like it's one of the least obtrusive ways to share Christ."
The 1979 docudrama, released in theaters by Warner Bros., tells the story of Jesus' life from birth to resurrection. Its reviews are varied. The ministry calls it "perhaps the most influential movie in history." In an August article on the Mecklenburg effort, the New York Times called it a box office flop with a "gooey soundtrack and a British voiceover." The "DVD & Video Guide 2006" calls it "More a Bible study than entertainment."

I love this part of it....

Spach said he hopes non-Christians who receive it won't be offended. They're free to treat it like junk mail and toss it, he said. "That's between them and God. We would prefer they just give it to somebody else."

I guess they were trying to get you to feel guilty for trashing it.

Well, I'd rather get some DVD that I can go play Frisbee with than have them banging on my door at 7 a.m.

...Or 7 p.m., for that matter, interrupting my supper and all that....

Seems like a harmless effort to share LOVE... And please don't treat/judge the lot of believers by those who come knocking. 99 out of a hundred are either Jehova's witness or mormons and they are widely reguarded as out of the mainstream/cultic societies.
The movie itself is in the least entertaining...A keeper.

I had two very nice Mormon ladies come to my door four days ago....maybe in the late 20's. Told them I have the book of Mormon, and found it an interesting read, but.....not really for me. We chatted for awhile about philosophy, and acceptance of other faiths, and listened to each other.....actually listened. It was a pleasant 15 minutes, and I got a coupon for a FREE DVD out of it...Woo Hoo. I sent away for the Movie 'cause I need the DVD case to replace my kids "Nightmare before Christmas" cover.

tecoyah said:
I had two very nice Mormon ladies come to my door four days ago....maybe in the late 20's. Told them I have the book of Mormon, and found it an interesting read, but.....not really for me. We chatted for awhile about philosophy, and acceptance of other faiths, and listened to each other.....actually listened. It was a pleasant 15 minutes, and I got a coupon for a FREE DVD out of it...Woo Hoo. I sent away for the Movie 'cause I need the DVD case to replace my kids "Nightmare before Christmas" cover.

lol... They'll be back.

Apostle13 said:
Seems like a harmless effort to share LOVE... And please don't treat/judge the lot of believers by those who come knocking. 99 out of a hundred are either Jehova's witness or mormons and they are widely reguarded as out of the mainstream/cultic societies.

Umm.. the "lot of believers"?
Are you trying to suggest because Im talking about a program that sends out DVDs of Jesus to everyones house they can being a strange form of trying to convert people I am somehow an athiest? (well, its kinda obvious).
Well, guess what? Your wrong.
But, I'm not a Christian.

The Mormons go door to door more than any other religion. They are actually the fastest growing religion in the country. Can you image if Catholics want door to door?

Caine said:
Umm.. the "lot of believers"?
Are you trying to suggest because Im talking about a program that sends out DVDs of Jesus to everyones house they can being a strange form of trying to convert people I am somehow an athiest? (well, its kinda obvious).
Well, guess what? Your wrong.
But, I'm not a Christian.

I suggested nothing concerning you... Furthermore, I find no justification for your obvious conclusion... Therefore, Your wrong.

Apostle13 said:
I suggested nothing concerning you... Furthermore, I find no justification for your obvious conclusion... Therefore, Your wrong.

Reguardless, I don't understand the purpose of ministries and why one religion feels the need to convert others.

alphieb said:
The Mormons go door to door more than any other religion. They are actually the fastest growing religion in the country. Can you image if Catholics want door to door?

I would be wearing a Kippot all day and slaming my door in thier faces.

Caine said:
Reguardless, I don't understand the purpose of ministries and why one religion feels the need to convert others.

Because they believe so strongly in their faith that they feel the need to save others from hell. Admirable but annoying.

Apostle13 said:

What is your religion? Perhaps it is cultic.

The Real McCoy said:
Because they believe so strongly in their faith that they feel the need to save others from hell. Admirable but annoying.

The pathetic thing is the fact that they think only thier religious is righteous.

The Real McCoy said:
Most faiths seem to hold this belief.

Well, not mine..... as my signature suggests.

alphieb said:
What is your religion? Perhaps it is cultic.

I do not propogate religion but rather a personal/individual relationship with God The Father... Thus, unity, or rather a unified church.
John 17:20-26 Jesus speaking;
"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. "Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."

Sorry if my earlier statement offended you, however accurate it may be... Nothing personal though.

Apostle13 said:

They view it as sharing love, I see it as them getting me annoyed :mrgreen:

Actually, in my own experience with the door to door church salesmen, as I call them, they've all been from some Christian, usually Baptist, church. I understand that they're just trying to spread the word and all that, but.....if I wanted to attend your church, I would. You knocking on my door isn't going to change my mind, and if I'm doomed for Hell because of that, well then...where's my sunscreen?

Apostle13 said:
I do not propogate religion but rather a personal/individual relationship with God The Father... Thus, unity, or rather a unified church.
John 17:20-26 Jesus speaking;
"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. "Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."

Sorry if my earlier statement offended you, however accurate it may be... Nothing personal though.

If Mormon or any other religion is a cult, what makes you think they all are not cults, so to speak? As long as everyone understands that jesus christ is our savior, who cares what your religion may be?

alphieb said:
If Mormon or any other religion is a cult, what makes you think they all are not cults, so to speak? As long as everyone understands that jesus christ is our savior, who cares what your religion may be?

Ummmm... Because Jesus Christ is not our savior........

Let me guess... since Im a Jew and don't believe in Jesus im going to hell?????

Caine said:
Ummmm... Because Jesus Christ is not our savior........

Let me guess... since Im a Jew and don't believe in Jesus im going to hell?????

Maybe, thats why your name is caine (just kidding). No, I think if your a good person you will go to heaven regardless.

alphieb said:
Maybe, thats why your name is caine (just kidding). No, I think if your a good person you will go to heaven regardless.

So, you agree with Rabbi Joshua in my signature?

And.....
Why don't more christians who think like you do go public against the likes of Pat Robertson?

Caine said:
So, you agree with Rabbi Joshua in my signature?

And.....
Why don't more christians who think like you do go public against the likes of Pat Robertson?

Because it's not what the Bible says.

The Real McCoy said:
Because it's not what the Bible says.

And what does this "Bible" say?

Caine said:
And what does this "Bible" say?

He who believes in Him is not condemned; he who does not believe is condemned already. ~John 3:18

He who believes in Him is not condemned; he who does not believe is condemned already.

Condemned to what? A life without christ?

Seeing as jews are antichrists, I would be hesitant in making such a statement. Especially since Dante so beautifully described our fate.

Regarding the DVD's.. I wouldn't mind getting a DVD. As a capitalist, I can only endorse such.. charity :p

Mr U

Back
Top Bottom