• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Taliban stones man and woman to death for allegedly having affair

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- The Taliban stoned to death a man and a woman in northern Afghanistan for allegedly having an affair, officials said Monday.

The stoning took place Sunday in Dasht-e-Archi district, in the village of Mullah Qali -- a village dominated by the Taliban in Kunduz province.

The pair was accused of having an illicit sexual relationship, a spokesman for the Kunduz governor said.

The woman was about 20 years old and the man was about 27, said Mohammed Ayuob, district governor of Amam Sahib, which is also in Kunduz province.

The woman was engaged, and the man was married to another woman. The two had been held by the Taliban for about a week, Ayuob said.

And we wanna try and make a deal with these people.... :shock:

Grrrr, it's impossible to wipe them out, Afghanistan is a quagmire. But I'd hate to see the Afghan people fall under such a regime ever again, not that Kharzai's government is any better, but at least they're not directly stoning people to death.

**** the Taliban, buncha assholes.

And for the love of god, I would really appreciate it if this thread doesn't break down into Christianity vs. Islam, or Anti-Islam sentiments coming in here.

I cannot believe that the majority of Afghani people want to live under this sort of tyranny. So, how is the Taliban able to exercise this kind of control over their lives?

I cannot believe that the majority of Afghani people want to live under this sort of tyranny. So, how is the Taliban able to exercise this kind of control over their lives?

i think the majority don't know anything else. but it seems we can't change their culture.

President Obama has lectured: "Islam is a religion of peace" and "you must respect their traditions."

It is sad when women are brutally slaughtered in this fashion and the President / Democrats / News Media remain moot.

What about basic human rights?

Last edited:
Well . . . it certainly is a "teachable moment" as to why we should care about succeeding in Afghanistan. A missed opportunity, to be sure.

Religion of Peace. We must be tolerant.

j-mac

Our President lacks a basic understanding of what constitutes human rights, and the necessity to speak out against tyranny when he is faced with it. Unfortunately, Mr. Obama has never done so, though he has been faced with multiple opportunities to speak out against Islamic intollerance, Islamic bigotry, Islamic-backed anti-Semitic hate (and propaganda in the news media) and for me - Islamic homophobia - the persecution of gays in the Middle East. Gays voted 98% for Mr. Obama, but he has shown himself to remain moot even on the most elementary questions of human dignity.

This administration has taken a silent stance on basic human rights ... and like the United Nations and Clinton Administration in 1994 (during the Rwandan Genocide) ... dare not speak out against Islam and its unfolding tragedies for fear of upsetting the left-wing, anti-Semitic, pro-terrorist faction within our nation.

Last edited:
Isn't this the cue for one of our sanctimonious British posters to call you an "Islamophobe".

Grrrr, it's impossible to wipe them out, Afghanistan is a quagmire. But I'd hate to see the Afghan people fall under such a regime ever again, not that Kharzai's government is any better, but at least they're not directly stoning people to death.

And for the love of god, I would really appreciate it if this thread doesn't break down into Christianity vs. Islam, or Anti-Islam sentiments coming in here.

How lucky for them...a little illicit love...a little bit of weed...nice!

Isn't this the cue for one of our sanctimonious British posters to call you an "Islamophobe".

Rational critisism of Islam is always welcome.

I don't like the way it's instituted in the Middle East at all, Sharia courts are barbaric, one of many examples of how I dislike institutionalized Islam.

What I'm reffering to, and I should have been more specific in my OP, was that I don't wanna hear the same old bull that all Islam Means Terror. Simply not true.

They kill people that disagree with them?

They kill people that disagree with them?

I agree. But why does the majority remain in captivity to the tyranny of the few, when they could easily overwhelm them and kill the people who threaten their lives? I don't get that.

In all seriousness, wouldn't you fight back?

Our President lacks a basic understanding of what constitutes human rights, and the necessity to speak out against tyranny when he is faced with it. Unfortunately, Mr. Obama has never done so, though he has been faced with multiple opportunities to speak out against Islamic intollerance, Islamic bigotry, Islamic-backed anti-Semitic hate (and propaganda in the news media) and for me - Islamic homophobia - the persecution of gays in the Middle East. Gays voted 98% for Mr. Obama, but he has shown himself to remain moot even on the most elementary questions of human dignity.

This administration has taken a silent stance on basic human rights ... and like the United Nations and Clinton Administration in 1994 (during the Rwandan Genocide) ... dare not speak out against Islam and its unfolding tragedies for fear of upsetting the left-wing, anti-Semitic, pro-terrorist faction within our nation.

I'm not sure what the downside would be of President Obama weighing in on stories like that...but I'd like to see him do it. How could it make things any worse? "The Taliban's decision to violate basic human rights is in complete contrast to its desire to have a place on the world stage. This should galvanize us in our determination to bring peace to Afghanistan," or some-such.

I agree. But why does the majority remain in captivity to the tyranny of the few, when they could easily overwhelm them and kill the people who threaten their lives? I don't get that.

Probably because their citizens like OUR citizens fight with this idea that you can combat an enemy like this in a loving, caring, and gentile manner. And of course...when you aren't as viscous and ruthless towards them as they are towards you, they win. Or if you just ignore them the problem will go away.

One only has to look at Nazi treatment of Jews to see that it must not be easy. Orrrr, my own inner-city Chicago neighborhoods where children are killed and no one speaks out to identify the perps.

It's proof positive that you can't make people change and that the entire world doesn't want "democracy."

Best to leave them be, let the crazies kill each other and eventually all the stoning nonsense will weed itself out.

Rational critisism of Islam is always welcome.

I don't like the way it's instituted in the Middle East at all, Sharia courts are barbaric, one of many examples of how I dislike institutionalized Islam.

What I'm reffering to, and I should have been more specific in my OP, was that I don't wanna hear the same old bull that all Islam Means Terror. Simply not true.

so who really believes that Islam = terror in such general terms in here? Why must we have this caveat to every thing we discuss muslim today? Islam may not equal terror, which I am sure your remembrance of that is no solace to those buried up to their shoulders awaiting the first stone.

j-mac

ME??? Oh HELL yes...and by doing so (at least in THIS country) I would have bleeding hearts calling me an evil sadistic bastard for fighting back in a ruthless manner. But when you are fighting extremists you HAVE to be just as ruthless. they arent motivated by understanding, and empathy, and love, and tolerance. They are motivated by zealous execution of thier beliefs.

They've got to want it enough to fight for it. Until that point, there's nothing we can do about it. If they ain't willing to fight, they ain't gonna be able to hold it; and the situation will quickly reverse without us supporting it.

It's really odd to think about why they would put up with such obvious oppression. Some of it is religious blindness, some of it is oppression backed by force. You think about how we grew up and what we were taught was valuable and right and then look at a place like Afghanistan, it's mind boggling. Different culture and different rules and some of which is barbaric. I think it is very hard for people like us to contemplate the mindset of people stuck in theocracy.

They've got to want it enough to fight for it. Until that point, there's nothing we can do about it. If they ain't willing to fight, they ain't gonna be able to hold it; and the situation will quickly reverse without us supporting it.

It's really odd to think about why they would put up with such obvious oppression. Some of it is religious blindness, some of it is oppression backed by force. You think about how we grew up and what we were taught was valuable and right and then look at a place like Afghanistan, it's mind boggling. Different culture and different rules and some of which is barbaric. I think it is very hard for people like us to contemplate the mindset of people stuck in theocracy.

Our European decedents put up with this **** for a few hundred years.

It's not a new concept.

One only has to look at Nazi treatment of Jews to see that it must not be easy. Orrrr, my own inner-city Chicago neighborhoods where children are killed and no one speaks out to identify the perps.

Im reminded of a period of time in Tacoma Washington...the Hilltop district back in the 90s...the crime was so bad the police abandoned their satelite offices and wouldnt respond in a timely manner to calls. Things were out of control. Then...one day they found a few dead drug dealers in the street, dead from a rifle bullet. Then another. And another. And after a while...the gang bangers and drug dealers moved on.

Speaking out makes you a target. Fighting back makes you a criminal. Its not a happy set of circumstances.

I will never refer to "Islam as Terror" but I will state that Sharia Law (as practiced) = slavery.

This is simply an unbridled truth, born out of thousands of years and millions of lives that have perished in pursuit of a theocratic totalitarianism that has ruled the Middle East since Charles Martel ("The Hammer") stopped the Islamists at the Battle of Tours in 742 A.D.

Sharia Law in its current form ties both believer and unbeleiver to the tree and whips them about the face with various precepts of faith with no tennant of redress. It is indeed barbaric; the shame lies on our liberal-left-wing media (and their supporters) who remain *silent* while women's throats are cut, shot, homosexuals barbarically beheaded and Jews and Christians are arrested and persecuted.

It's proof positive that you can't make people change and that the entire world doesn't want "democracy."

Best to leave them be, let the crazies kill each other and eventually all the stoning nonsense will weed itself out.

Listening to all this how can we justify having so many of our kids over there. Where is the outrage that hundreds of kids are getting killed and thousands maimed.

Before partisans jump up and down, I was against our kids getting killed nation building in Iraq as well.

Im reminded of a period of time in Tacoma Washington...the Hilltop district back in the 90s...the crime was so bad the police abandoned their satelite offices and wouldnt respond in a timely manner to calls. Things were out of control. Then...one day they found a few dead drug dealers in the street, dead from a rifle bullet. Then another. And another. And after a while...the gang bangers and drug dealers moved on.

Speaking out makes you a target. Fighting back makes you a criminal. Its not a happy set of circumstances.

YES!! Exactly. But it sure does take a brave few to start the momentum. Love the rifle idea. ;-)

Listening to all this how can we justify having so many of our kids over there. Where is the outrage that hundreds of kids are getting killed and thousands maimed.

Before partisans jump up and down, I was against our kids getting killed nation building in Iraq as well.

"You don't support the troops". That's what happened to it. That little propaganda campaign where everyone tried to label any dissent against the war and equaling non-support of the troops. I think it worked ok. Other than that, the near media blackout has made us forget a lot too. If you think back to Vietnam, that war was on TV all the time. People were reminded that we were at war and what the cost of war was. But we don't really see anything out of Iraq but a few headlines here and there. Why hide? I think it's because if we were made aware of everything, constantly saw the images, and had to think about the lives, money, and effort we've put in more people would be against the war. But the press is just controlled by the government mostly, so it doesn't do its job. The People aren't thinking about anything other than the recession and our job market, so we ain't doing our job. And the government...it's doing its job all too well.

It's really a very illogical war at this point.

Back
Top Bottom