• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Taliban reverses decision, barring Afghan girls from attending school beyond 6th grade

I compared this the Republican state bans on what teachers can say in class. In both instances, there are communities that would like to be free of the respective bans, but since they are both law, they are forced to implement them.

You seem to be imagining things that don't exist.

What is being discussed in Florida is that very young Children not be abused by ideologues teaching odd and potentially hurtful, mystifying ideas that are beyond an eight year old's ability to grasp.

That ideologues are distorting the topic, lying about it and presenting perversions of it is interesting to me on a political level only as I have no children aged 8 or younger.

If I was a parent with a child potentially abused in this way, I would be at every school board meeting and I would be sitting in on classes to assure that the ideologue morons bent on this stupidity were restrained.

If the ideologues feel that this is critically important information to inflict, perhaps they could make a presentation and put it on their school's Web site so parents could watch it and then present it to their kids and discuss it.

well, we know exactly how far behind the rest of the world they are...

"It was not until more than forty years after the Victorian Era began that the Education Act was passed in England in 1870, making it required that both females and males get an elementary education, while secondary education in even upper-class families was not a consideration for females until the 1890s."

What is being discussed in Florida is that very young Children not be abused by ideologues teaching odd and potentially hurtful, mystifying ideas that are beyond an eight year old's ability to grasp.

That ideologues are distorting the topic, lying about it and presenting perversions of it is interesting to me on a political level only as I have no children aged 8 or younger.

If I was a parent with a child potentially abused in this way, I would be at every school board meeting and I would be sitting in on classes to assure that the ideologue morons bent on this stupidity were restrained.

If the ideologues feel that this is critically important information to inflict, perhaps they could make a presentation and put it on their school's Web site so parents could watch it and then present it to their kids and discuss it.
What kind of retarded eight year olds do you know who can't grasp homosexuality and who are "abused" by the "odd and potentially hurtful, mystifying" concept of homosexuality? Jesus ****ing christ. Snowflakes are so melodramatic.

I'm not sure this surprises anyone, but it is a human rights violation. Religion has been used for too long to deny human beings their rights to happiness and fulfillment. The Taliban always intended to withhold education from women and put them back in their place as pieces of property for raping.
Yeah, no disagreement there. I didn't buy the whole Taliban reformation they were talking about when they were trying to look like a better version of themselves. What's terrible out of all of this is the people in the country are starving and you have the likes of the Taliban keeping a large percentage of their population uneducated.

Yeah, no disagreement there. I didn't buy the whole Taliban reformation they were talking about when they were trying to look like a better version of themselves. What's terrible out of all of this is the people in the country are starving and you have the likes of the Taliban keeping a large percentage of their population uneducated.
Twenty years of war and virtually nothing to show for it. American policy in the Middle East has been a catastrophe. I feel badly for the Afghan people, but we literally couldn't help them.

This decision by the Taliban should not surprise anyone, post the 6th grade most Taliban men are looking to marry then screw these young girls.

Having them educated is something the Taliban is not interested in, which puts them on par with the American Taliban here.

Twenty years of war and virtually nothing to show for it. American policy in the Middle East has been a catastrophe. I feel badly for the Afghan people, but we literally couldn't help them.
It's hard to argue with that point. US intervention has led to a lot of instability in the region, which tends to give rise to all sorts of militant groups.

It isn't just about the Don't Say Gay bill. It is about all the laws the Republican controlled state legislatures are passing, including one's to protect white kids from their feelings being hurt, ban teaching about racism, laws that purge school libraries of books. There are many schools who prefer to not have to labor under the ambiguous threat that these laws impose, but they have no choice because the laws cover all the schools in the state. All to placate the Christian fanatics.

The same goes with the Taliban's rule about girls in school. Apparently they don't particularly object to girls going to school in cities, but out in the country where the religious fanatics live, they are opposed. So the Taliban objects to it everywhere, as their laws cover everywhere, in order to, you guessed it, placate the Muslim fanatics.

Different from Republican controlled states only by degrees. In the case of the Taliban, its a twisted view of Islam. In the case of Republican controlled states, its a twisted view of Christianity.

In the case of Democrat controlled areas in which the criminals are favored over their victims, it's a twisted view of civilization.

What kind of retarded eight year olds do you know who can't grasp homosexuality and who are "abused" by the "odd and potentially hurtful, mystifying" concept of homosexuality? Jesus ****ing christ. Snowflakes are so melodramatic.

Your inability to think, reason and understand are noted.

There’s a big difference between “you must” and “you must not”. The bills in question are the “you must not” variety.

Freedom means that I let you do things that I don’t like. Free speech means you can say things I don’t like. The “freedom” not to ever hear a dissenting opinion or to have to endure someone with a different belief system isn’t freedom, it’s fascism.

KABUL, Afghanistan — In a morning of tears and anger, the Taliban on Wednesday reneged on a promise to allow Afghan girls to attend secondary school, as thousands of them turned up at their old school gates in tidy uniforms and carrying their school bags. ...Amid widespread condemnation, the Taliban gave no indication of when these classrooms might reopen. Most girls and young women have been prevented from attending secondary school since the Taliban swept to power in August.

...the spokesman for the Education Ministry, Mawlawi Aziz Ahmad Ryan, said that "schools for women from the sixth grade above are closed until further notice." Ryan said a plan would be formulated "in accordance with Islamic law and Afghan culture and traditions, as well as the ruling of the Islamic Emirate." The phrase "culture and traditions" is often shorthand in the Muslim world for imposing rules that deny women their rights under Islam on the basis that local culture does not permit it. Islamic teaching and practice encourages men and women to study and learn."

Link

Why, is explained here.

...when you talk to those who are on that pragmatic side, for example, in terms of the education of girls beyond grade six, none of them will say that they oppose it. They will all say they support it. But, you know, you have to go slowly because it has to be an edict that goes countrywide. And countrywide, it's not supported. In the deep rural areas, there is a resistance to girls going to school beyond grade six. And so they use that as an excuse, really, because you certainly can allow girls to go to school in the cities in vast areas of the country.

Link

The Taliban's approach to girls in schools can be compared to the Republicans' approach to the teaching or discussion of divisive racial issues and gender identity in schools. There are school in Afghanistan and in Republican controlled states that are fine with teaching these things. But, in both areas, there are religious interests that oppose this. The Taliban and Republican controlled states both have laws that placate religious interests. Thus schools in areas that are more secular and more tolerant are all bent to the will of their more pious counterparts.
Thank you for proving why nothing you say should be taken seriously.
It’s obvious that you have allowed your hate to overrule your ability to think rationally.

Imagine coming to our country, the land of freedom and getting raped and learning that you must bear your rapists' child. Once again, the GOP and the Taliban are coming from a similar place.

View attachment 67384163
So you think a image made up most likely by someone on the far left is a good and honest representation of the thoughts of the majority of the right?

I may have a bridge to sell you.

Way to go Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden and of course two decades of aiding and abetting by Congress!!!

Your inability to think, reason and understand are noted.
You poor thing. That's the best you can muster to a real question? You said that the retarded eight year olds you know can't grasp homosexuality and are "abused" by the "odd and potentially hurtful, mystifying" concept of homosexuality. I challenged you on that trailer trash cracker ass bullshit. And your response was, "Your inability to think, reason and understand are noted."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Modern American conservatism, ladies and gentlemen. Let code1211 be your guiding light as to their abilities and faculties. He's a poster child.

It isn't just about the Don't Say Gay bill. It is about all the laws the Republican controlled state legislatures are passing, including one's to protect white kids from their feelings being hurt, ban teaching about racism, laws that purge school libraries of books. There are many schools who prefer to not have to labor under the ambiguous threat that these laws impose, but they have no choice because the laws cover all the schools in the state. All to placate the Christian fanatics.

The same goes with the Taliban's rule about girls in school. Apparently they don't particularly object to girls going to school in cities, but out in the country where the religious fanatics live, they are opposed. So the Taliban objects to it everywhere, as their laws cover everywhere, in order to, you guessed it, placate the Muslim fanatics.

Your views on this are at best twisted and worst propagandistic lies.

When I was in school, we were taught about slavery. We were taught about social injustice and that we should strive to be sensitive to others, understanding and inclusive.

We were taught to strive to achieve a betterment moving toward an ideal.

Today's teaching has student centers segregated so that "Whites" are not allowed creating a US version of apartheid. WTF is THAT all about?

Apartheid and segregation were presented as bad when I was in school. Judging people on the content of their character and NOT on the color of their skin was presented as good.

Now apartheid and segregation are encouraged and school facilities and property are provided to exercise it.

Apartheid and segregation based on racism is the result of your expressed wishes here.

religion is a curse to mankind......not because religion is bad but because men use religion to be bad.....

was the first political parties

You poor thing. That's the best you can muster to a real question? You said that the retarded eight year olds you know can't grasp homosexuality and are "abused" by the "odd and potentially hurtful, mystifying" concept of homosexuality. I challenged you on that trailer trash cracker ass bullshit. And your response was, "Your inability to think, reason and understand are noted."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Modern American conservatism, ladies and gentlemen. Let code1211 be your guiding light as to their abilities and faculties. He's a poster child.
Duly noted!

With so many such poster children, as it were, on the Right these days we are bound to run shy of wall space to paste all them posters?!

;) (y)

There’s a big difference between “you must” and “you must not”. The bills in question are the “you must not” variety.

Freedom means that I let you do things that I don’t like. Free speech means you can say things I don’t like. The “freedom” not to ever hear a dissenting opinion or to have to endure someone with a different belief system isn’t freedom, it’s fascism.

Your lack of understanding of this topic is evident.

An eight year old is an eight year old.

You are the cruel and condemning person of limited knowledge that describes eight year old children as retarded.

Well thats just shocking.

The greatest tragedy in how Afghanistan was handled is that women that were previous victims of rape and torture at the hands of the Taliban were given the hope that their nightmare had ended...and now they have been thrust back into it. Young girls who for the first time in generations grew up in peace with actual status as a human being, are now being enslaved again as child brides.

We should have built their army and police forces with armed women. Its a different game when the rabbit has the gun.
I’ve always said we should paint all our best gear pink and send only women to kick fundamentalist ass.

Not sure how they would recover from that.

Duly noted!

With so many such poster children, as it were, on the Right these days we are bound to run shy of wall space to paste all them posters?!

;) (y)
I'd say so. There's a difference between advocating for a smaller federal budget, lower taxes, and a strong military, for example, and advocating for stripping women of their reproductive rights and LGBTQ people of their civil rights. There's a difference between mounting an argument with which I disagree based on reason and facts and mounting one based on utter stupidity, sheer ignorance, and blatant dishonesty. The modern American conservative movement is absolute horse shit. The Republican party shot it in between the eyes and let its body rot in the hot sun while they surrendered wholeheartedly to anti-intellectualism and sensationalism. The lowest common denominator among human intellect was found; and it was given Republican party membership cards.

An eight year old is an eight year old.

You are the cruel and condemning person of limited knowledge that describes eight year old children as retarded.
I can see you're very, very confused.

An eight year old is not a piece of tree bark. An eight year old is more than capable of understanding that romantic love between two adults can occur between any two adults. Not all men are attracted to only women. Not all women are attracted to only men. Some people aren't attracted to the opposite sex at all.

So again, what kind of retarded eight year olds do you know who can't grasp those few short sentences?

I'll give you a short anecdote to further illustrate how ridiculous your position is that eight year olds you know can't grasp homosexuality and are "abused" by the "odd and potentially hurtful, mystifying" concept of homosexuality.

One of my nephews (he turned 8 two weeks ago by the way) asked me why my friends Joe and Corey are always together when they stop by my house. His father is very conservative and a brother to me, so I said, "Let's talk about this later," and went back to inflating my nephew's bike tires. Later that day when I mentioned it to my brother-in-law he went into the room with his son in it and said, "Uncle said you had questions about Joe and Corey. They're in love the same way that me and Mommy are in love and do lots of things together because they like to spend time together." My nephew said, "Oh, so [Joe's and Corey's dog] is their kid like [other nephew] and me are your and Mommy's kids. Can I take a lemonade in the truck?"

My nephew isn't scarred. He isn't confused. He certainly isn't "abused", which is an accusation I suggest you lodge more thoughtfully. In fact, he's less confused now because now he understands that two men are in love and behave like a couple because they are a couple. It would be cruel to keep that information from him just to prevent him from understanding the real world because some grown ups irrationally hate other people based on something that's none of their business.

I'd say so. There's a difference between advocating for a smaller federal budget, lower taxes, and a strong military, for example, and advocating for stripping women of their reproductive rights and LGBTQ people of their civil rights. There's a difference between mounting an argument with which I disagree based on reason and facts and mounting one based on utter stupidity, sheer ignorance, and blatant dishonesty. The modern American conservative movement is absolute horse shit. The Republican party shot it in between the eyes and let its body rot in the hot sun while they surrendered wholeheartedly to anti-intellectualism and sensationalism. The lowest common denominator among human intellect was found; and it was given Republican party membership cards.
Spot on!
;) (y)

I’ve always said we should paint all our best gear pink and send only women to kick fundamentalist ass.

Not sure how they would recover from that.

Is this an example of the psychology of persuasion?

Back
Top Bottom