• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Taliban offer to trade: 5 Gitmo prisoners for 1 U.S. soldier

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Taliban offer to trade: 5 Gitmo prisoners for 1 U.S. soldier[/h]
Taliban militants in Afghanistan have offered a trade to the United States: Give us five senior operatives imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay and we’ll free one American soldier held captive since 2009.It’s believed the group is referring to U.S. ArmySgt. Bowe Bergdahl, from Hailey, Idaho, The Associated Press reported. He’s the only known captive from the Afghanistan conflict. He went missing on June 30, 2009, and military intelligence suggests he’s now in Pakistan, AP said.

What do you think? Will the USA take them up on it? Is it a good idea? I can see two sides to this one.

Absolutely yes. We need to get rid of these guys anyway and Bergdahl (sp?) has been suffering for a long time now. I don't think they tortured him like we tortured them so yes, it's a great deal and who knows, maybe the start of real communications instead of a 100 year war.

Of course, our masters aren't captives so they my not give a rat's ass. They will be fine dining tonight.

[h=1]Taliban offer to trade: 5 Gitmo prisoners for 1 U.S. soldier[/h]

What do you think? Will the USA take them up on it? Is it a good idea? I can see two sides to this one.

God bless Sgt Bergdahl but no it's a bad idea.
Once we do this there will be more prisoners taken and so it goes.

If we stop invading other countries, we should nit have many prisoners taken. Even Israel trades.

How about we give them 10 detainees and put a capsule with poison in their bodies with a timer that will release the poison 24 hours after the trade?

How about we give them 10 detainees and put a capsule with poison in their bodies with a timer that will release the poison 24 hours after the trade?

I go with inserted tracking devices so we can level the whole building of them. Really need to play the long game KSU

How about we get our man back and assume that 5 guys can't destroy America any more so than the millions of enemies we already have and the thousands more we incite with our world police and drone-meister behavior.

It's a bad idea, that makes snatching American soldiers a lucrative sport. Still, if it were up to me personally, I'm not sure I'd have the strength or the heart not to do it, to get back one of our own.

Yes, get this guy back home.

Then drone the **** out of them, couldn't be that hard.

If we stop invading other countries, we should nit have many prisoners taken. Even Israel trades.

I believe Israel trades because it mandates military service for all young men and women. In America, men and women freely enter the service with the full understanding that they may die in the course of that service. Doesn't make it feel any better, I know, but think of how many innocent lives those 5 Gitmo prisoners may take if freed to do so.

The United States of America does not negotiate with terrorists.

yes, make the trade. he has suffered too much, as have those close to him.

No, you can never negotiate with terrorists or any type of kidnapper...

i respectfully disagree in this case. other countries, including our allies, make prisoner exchanges.

i respectfully disagree in this case. other countries, including our allies, make prisoner exchanges.

Once it begins, it would be impossible to stop in the future. I don't care what other countries do. They usually don't possess as much of value as we do in an exchange...

Once it begins, it would be impossible to stop in the future. I don't care what other countries do. They usually don't possess as much of value as we do in an exchange...

considering that we're getting out, i find the idea of leaving him there to be unacceptable. bring him home.

The difference is that the Taliban is not a country

Correct. They are a multi-country entity. An interstate Province if you will. Much higher on a similar totem pole as the Kurds or Sikhs.

considering that we're getting out, i find the idea of leaving him there to be unacceptable. bring him home.

And I find it unacceptable to negotiate with terrorists. If we're in communication, we have the ability to find his location if we play our cards right...

And I find it unacceptable to negotiate with terrorists. If we're in communication, we have the ability to find his location if we play our cards right...

that would be my preference, but if we could do that, we should have done it before now. i'm also not a fan of Gitmo. it's long past time to try or release them.

if this is the most certain way to bring him home, i support it.

IOW, Reagan's people should not have been negotiating with the Iranians BEFORE the election. etc. etc.

that would be my preference, but if we could do that, we should have done it before now. i'm also not a fan of Gitmo. it's long past time to try or release them.

if this is the most certain way to bring him home, i support it.

We had no communication before now. Stringing out negotiations is best for the soldier involved. BTW, I would prefer a military court with all occupants of gitmo considered as unlawful combatants, which they are...

IOW, Reagan's people should not have been negotiating with the Iranians BEFORE the election. etc. etc.

And the FBI should never encourage parents of a kidnapped child to negotiate? There's a huge difference between "negotiations" and intelligence gathering linc...

And the FBI should never encourage parents of a kidnapped child to negotiate? There's a huge difference between "negotiations" and intelligence gathering linc...

Before we were talking about Adult Americans serving in some capacity for the USA that had been kidnapped. Now you've flown to a kidnapped child. Classic AP.

You must disagree with Israel giving up 100 or more Palestinian/other "prisoners" per Israeli prisoner. I get it though. Its their right. Like a state's right.

Back
Top Bottom