• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Taliban offer to trade: 5 Gitmo prisoners for 1 U.S. soldier

I don't see how the number of lives they take is meaningful. Most of them are free to go but have nowhere to go. The rest have been sitting a decade not keeping up with their military skills. We have millions of guys shooting at us, why would 5 more change the balance?

It's not "negotiating with terrorists", it's showing loyalty to your own service members and leaving no man behind.

I believe Israel trades because it mandates military service for all young men and women. In America, men and women freely enter the service with the full understanding that they may die in the course of that service. Doesn't make it feel any better, I know, but think of how many innocent lives those 5 Gitmo prisoners may take if freed to do so.

Wait, is specklebang doing a little satirical thing, or is he serious?

Funny either way, actually, but still.

It is a bad idea to take them up on their offer.By trading we encourage more kidnapping of soldiers.

That is the downside for sure, that and the potential death and destruction caused by the Taliban we release.

On the other hand, what do we need the prisoners for? The objective is to close Gitmo, and this brings us closer to that while saving a young soldier.

That is the downside for sure, that and the potential death and destruction caused by the Taliban we release.

So why would we want to encourage the terrorists to capture more soldiers?

On the other hand, what do we need the prisoners for? The objective is to close Gitmo, and this brings us closer to that while saving a young soldier.

While we would save that one soldier we would endanger the lives of other Americans.

God bless Sgt Bergdahl but no it's a bad idea.
Once we do this there will be more prisoners taken and so it goes.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm...so diplomatic lives lost in Benghazi are more important than that of a soldier putting it all on the line. I might add....when you're haggling with a car salesman do you come out with your best deal as a first offer?

Back
Top Bottom