• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Taliban greets Pentagon's withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan with cries of victory

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Taliban greets Pentagon's withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan with cries of victory

DgLJDrgXcAEVBuX.jpg

PESHAWAR, Pakistan — News that the White House had ordered the Pentagon to draw up plans for a troop withdrawal from Afghanistan provoked widespread criticism that the move would kneecap efforts to broker a peace deal to end America's longest war. But there was one group on Friday celebrating the reports — the Taliban. Senior members told NBC News the news was a clear indication they were on the verge of victory. “The 17-year-long struggle and sacrifices of thousands of our people finally yielded fruit," said a senior Taliban commander from Afghanistan’s Helmand province. "We proved it to the entire world that we defeated the self-proclaimed world’s lone superpower." “We are close to our destination," added the commander, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the group's leadership had prohibited members from talking to the media about current events. He added that all field commanders had also been told to intensify training efforts to capture four strategic provinces in the run up to the next round of talks between the U.S. and Taliban, which are expected in January. A Taliban leader in eastern Kunar province, Maulvi Sher Mohammad, said news of withdrawals should serve as a lesson to Americans. “The U.S. people and particularly its rulers should think about what they achieved by invading Afghanistan and by causing so many losses to the citizens of Afghanistan and wasting their own resources on this long war,” he said.

The news shocked and confused NATO allies and the Afghan government, at a moment when the United States is engaged in a major diplomatic push to try to launch peace negotiations. “The abruptness of this I think really hurts our credibility,” former senior Defense Department official Jason Campbell said. For U.S. special envoy for peace in Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad, the move deprives him of his most effective point of leverage before negotiations even have begun in earnest experts and former officials said. “It will have a devastating effect on peace negotiations,” said Seth Jones, a former adviser to the U.S. military now at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington think tank. “The challenge now the U.S. faces is how is it going to get the Taliban to reach an agreement if they can wait and expect a better outcome in the future if the U.S. continues to withdraw its forces?”

In this area of the world, perception is oftentimes little different than reality. This abrupt move, from the president who boasted about "Never tipping my hand to the enemy."

The Taliban will probably be in Kabul and in control before 2019 ends. Whatever happens to the female teachers and politicians in Afghanistan is on Trumps head.

Boy that gun looks pretty.

DgLJDrgXcAEVBuX.jpg

In this area of the world, perception is oftentimes little different than reality. This abrupt move, from the president who boasted about "Never tipping my hand to the enemy."

The Taliban will probably be in Kabul and in control before 2019 ends. Whatever happens to the female teachers and politicians in Afghanistan is on Trumps head.

I guess you enjoy young Americans dying for no reason.......right?

I guess you enjoy young Americans dying for no reason.......right?

I guess you enjoy sending more young Americans to die in a country that can't justify some 'reason' is acceptable???

Didn't learn a very painful lesson from Vietnam...…. right???? :peace

DgLJDrgXcAEVBuX.jpg

Trump no doubt did make the Muslim morons happy by telling the world the US will not continue to bear the main of the burden in fighting Muslim moron enemies of civilization alone with little help from other nations.

What are you spewing here?

Your puke fest recast... how is adding to the death toll making 'it count for something' when the final result is the same collapse??? Kicking the can down the road with more dead young Americans is sick....

Like I said, have we not learned from Vietnam??? We can't force a nation to become 'us' when centuries of culture have shown nothing but distain for outside meddlers... :peace

Your puke fest recast... how is adding to the death toll making 'it count for something' when the final result is the same collapse??? Kicking the can down the road with more dead young Americans is sick....

Like I said, have we not learned from Vietnam??? We can't force a nation to become 'us' when centuries of culture have shown nothing but distain for outside meddlers... :peace

LOL

You are the one that assumed I support the USA being there in the first place.

Read before.

bring all of the troops home now.

You are the one that assumed I support the USA being there in the first place. Read before.

I didn't ASSume nothing, you made an extremely ignorant attack, I just asked if you therefore take 'joy' in continuing to sacrifice young Americans for nothing more than more dead young Americans... :peace

Back
Top Bottom