• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Taliban clamp down on drugs, announce ban on poppy harvest

I'm sure Biden will clamp down on our border (even tighter than he already has!) to keep our citizens safe from the fentanyl coming across and killing out people. Well, unless Hunter has any pending deals with the drug cartels, that is.

Are you capable of posting anything that doesn't make you sound like a cultist?

Rather ironic given the years the Taliban spent profiting from it.

You are misinformed.

After the Russians quit Afghanistan and the Taliban gradually took over the country, they forbid the growing of poppies and cut the export of opium and heroin.

Afther 9/11 when the Americans came in, the government they set up did nothing about the poppie business. It thrived under the US supported Afgan government.

From ABC News

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Afghanistan’s ruling Taliban on Sunday announced a ban on harvesting poppies, even as farmers in some parts of the country began extracting the opium from the plant that is needed for making heroin.

The Taliban warned farmers that their crops will be burned and that they can be jailed if they proceed with the harvest. The harvest and planting seasons vary across Afghanistan. In the Taliban heartland of southern Kandahar the harvesting has begun but in the east of the country some farmers are just beginning to plant their crop.

In desperately poor Afghanistan the ban seems certain to further impoverish its poorest citizens at a time when the country is in an economic free fall.

The decree was announced by Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid at a news conference in the capital of Kabul. The order also outlawed the manufacturing of narcotics and the transportation, trade, export and import of heroin, hashish and alcohol.

The ban is reminiscent of the previous Taliban rule in the late 1990s when the movement espousing a harsh interpretation of Islam outlawed poppy production. At that time, the ban was implemented countrywide within two years, and according to the U.N. largely helped eradicate poppy production.

COMMENT:-
Well, there goes another CIA "cash crop". Fentanyl producers of the world are rejoicing.​

Well, on the one hand, this is good. But like you write, that was literally what was holding up the desperately poor economy of the country. I am not sure how they are going to make it...

Are you capable of posting anything that doesn't make you sound like a cultist?
Yes, everything I post is like that. It's not my problem if that is your defense mechanism for sticking with your Marxist leaders. That's up to you to fix. Can't help you there.

Yes, everything I post is like that. It's not my problem if that is your defense mechanism for sticking with your Marxist leaders. That's up to you to fix. Can't help you there.

Who are my Marxist leaders again, captain hyperbole? I'm an American moderate, which makes me a conservative in the countries where marxism really exists.

I'm gonna go ahead and chalk your response up as more cultism. I don't think you're capable of a discussion. You only seem to desire to draw fire away from your fascist [aka, NAZI leaders].

Who are my Marxist leaders again, captain hyperbole? I'm an American moderate, which makes me a conservative in the countries where marxism really exists.

I'm gonna go ahead and chalk your response up as more cultism. I don't think you're capable of a discussion. You only seem to desire to draw fire away from your fascist [aka, NAZI leaders].
Good for you, your Marxist ways are strong.

You are misinformed.

After the Russians quit Afghanistan and the Taliban gradually took over the country, they forbid the growing of poppies and cut the export of opium and heroin.

Afther 9/11 when the Americans came in, the government they set up did nothing about the poppie business. It thrived under the US supported Afgan government.

Gee, and yet.......

“The United States spent more than $8 billion over 15 years on efforts to deprive the Taliban of their profits from Afghanistan's opium and heroin trade, from poppy eradication to airstrikes and raids on suspected labs.

The Taliban banned poppy growing in 2000 as they sought international legitimacy, but faced a popular backlash and later mostly changed their stance, according to experts.

Despite the threats posed by Afghanistan's illicit drug business, experts noted, the United States and other nations rarely mention in public the need to address the trade - estimated by the UNODC at more than 80% of global opium and heroin supplies.

"We've stood by on the sidelines and, unfortunately, allowed the Taliban to become probably the largest funded non-designated terrorist organization on the globe," said a U.S. official with knowledge of Afghanistan's drug trade.

"The U.S. and international partners have continued to pull out and not addressed poppy cultivation," the official said on condition of anonymity. "What you're going to find is that it has exploded."

“The Taliban have counted on the Afghan opium trade as one of their main sources of income," Cesar Gudes, the head of the Kabul office of the U.N. Office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC), told Reuters. "More production brings drugs with a cheaper and more attractive price, and therefore a wider accessibility."

The only reason the Taliban ever cracked down on opium in any way was in hopes that doing so would strengthen their “legitimacy” as a governing party.

From ABC News

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Afghanistan’s ruling Taliban on Sunday announced a ban on harvesting poppies, even as farmers in some parts of the country began extracting the opium from the plant that is needed for making heroin.

The Taliban warned farmers that their crops will be burned and that they can be jailed if they proceed with the harvest. The harvest and planting seasons vary across Afghanistan. In the Taliban heartland of southern Kandahar the harvesting has begun but in the east of the country some farmers are just beginning to plant their crop.

In desperately poor Afghanistan the ban seems certain to further impoverish its poorest citizens at a time when the country is in an economic free fall.

The decree was announced by Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid at a news conference in the capital of Kabul. The order also outlawed the manufacturing of narcotics and the transportation, trade, export and import of heroin, hashish and alcohol.

The ban is reminiscent of the previous Taliban rule in the late 1990s when the movement espousing a harsh interpretation of Islam outlawed poppy production. At that time, the ban was implemented countrywide within two years, and according to the U.N. largely helped eradicate poppy production.

Well, there goes another CIA "cash crop". Fentanyl producers of the world are rejoicing.​
You do realize they did this last time as well, and became the biggest producers of opium in the world themselves right?

My suggestion is that banning poppy production will increase the famine in Afghanistan.
Obviously.

But what is your suggestion to lessen (or, at least, not worsen) the famine in Afghanistan?
Supply is not the issue in drug problems, demand is.
Although I do understand what you are saying, the fact is the NEITHER "supply" nor "demand" are the key issue. What the key issue is is "Why?".
Eliminating supply will not impact demand.
Again, I do understand what you are saying. However, if the supply of "X" was totally eliminated then the demand for "X" would be impacted severely. What you mean (as I understand it) is "Short-term supply fluctuations will not decrease consumer demand BUT will offer significant opportunities for profit maximization through price increases and quality decreases.".
Heroin is a price inelastic good.
Within normal commercial parameters, yes it is.
If it was free would you use it? No.
I wouldn't use the Heroin that is commercially available in the US today any more than I would drink milk that the farmer had urinated in.

Would I use Heroin if it was of the same strength and quality as is available from pharmacies in the UK? Probably not - but, then again, I don't drink as much as I used to drink when I was 20 either.

Threegoofs is correct about cocaine, it is not an opiate. It is not an opioid, either.

I'm not sure about the details of "everything" that he says is false in TU Curmudgeon's post.
You are correct. In the heat of posting I incorrectly included Cocaine with the Opiates.

Well, come on. That would surprise no one.
In other words "Well, I don't actually have any actual evidence, or even anything that looks remotely like actual evidence, but I really turns my crank to make totally unsupported accusations against anyone who doesn't worship Donald John Trump {BBHN}.".

They are not the only one's who profited from it. Perhaps the taliban are hitting against america where it will hurt, in the pocket of big business. Poor americas big pharmaceutical companies , they are going to have to grow there own if they still want to get as many of americans as they can addicted to their products.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02686-2
Sorry but we make our opioids in a factory. You did not know that? Oxy's are synthetic opioids and so is Fentanyl.

Where on this spectrum does "American Moderate" fall?

POLITICAL SPECTRUM GRAPHIC.JPG
Mind you, most Americans would see it this way:

US VIEW OF POLITICAL SPECTRUM.JPG

You do realize they did this last time as well, and became the biggest producers of opium in the world themselves right?
I suspect that you are confusing [1] the Taliban when it was in power in Afghanistan with either [2] the CIA or [3] the Taliban when it was NOT in power in Afghanistan.

I suspect that you are confusing [1] the Taliban when it was in power in Afghanistan with either [2] the CIA or [3] the Taliban when it was NOT in power in Afghanistan.
No. The first time the taliban took over, they also went after the poppy growers claiming to the world that they would stop it. It ended up with the Taliban running those poppy fields and Afghanistan exporting just as much heroin as before.

You have to remember, the poppy growers are serfs under powerful warlords, who the Taliban basically have declared war on. These warlords switched sides to the Taliban to get rid of the American lead government.

Basically It is all smoke and mirrors.

Obviously.

But what is your suggestion to lessen (or, at least, not worsen) the famine in Afghanistan?

Although I do understand what you are saying, the fact is the NEITHER "supply" nor "demand" are the key issue. What the key issue is is "Why?".

Again, I do understand what you are saying. However, if the supply of "X" was totally eliminated then the demand for "X" would be impacted severely. What you mean (as I understand it) is "Short-term supply fluctuations will not decrease consumer demand BUT will offer significant opportunities for profit maximization through price increases and quality decreases.".

Within normal commercial parameters, yes it is.

I wouldn't use the Heroin that is commercially available in the US today any more than I would drink milk that the farmer had urinated in.

Would I use Heroin if it was of the same strength and quality as is available from pharmacies in the UK? Probably not - but, then again, I don't drink as much as I used to drink when I was 20 either.
Afghanistan is returning to the country it was without the western aid. I'd leave the solution to the current government, and stand ready with aid if it is asked for.

I disagree with your conclusion about loss of supply impacting demand. That would impact price not demand. Users would search for substitutes to address their demand. My comment about you sing heroin was meant to say that most people wouldn't use it no matter what the price is, while others will continue to use it no matter what the price is.

From ABC News

I think the Taliban made a mistake here. Real bad timing. The move will not get em respect among the international community, just trouble they don't need at home.

Where on this spectrum does "American Moderate" fall?

Mind you, most Americans would see it this way:

I don't know. You tell me. I fully support women's reproductive rights. I fully support progressive taxation. I fully support a separation of church and state. I fully support equal rights, without regard to race. But...

I hate the liberal lie that the BLM protests were characterized as "peaceful" (they were not), I hate most of that woke bullshit (it's just lame ass virtue signaling), I hate the defund-the-police rhetoric and the real (in certain cities) decriminalization of crime.

Frankly, more than ever, the left scares me almost as much as the right. There is, in both parties, an outspoken, entitled mob of america-hating traitors, so I call myself a "moderate". It feels better than saying I'm a liberal who traveled here in a time machine from 1985.

In other words "Well, I don't actually have any actual evidence, or even anything that looks remotely like actual evidence, but I really turns my crank to make totally unsupported accusations against anyone who doesn't worship Donald John Trump {BBHN}.".
You have that left wing filter, you read what I post, pretend it says something else, then reply to something I didn't say. You should get that fixed.

No. The first time the taliban took over, they also went after the poppy growers claiming to the world that they would stop it. It ended up with the Taliban running those poppy fields and Afghanistan exporting just as much heroin as before.

You have to remember, the poppy growers are serfs under powerful warlords, who the Taliban basically have declared war on. These warlords switched sides to the Taliban to get rid of the American lead government.

Basically It is all smoke and mirrors.
Take a look at this

OPIUM AFGHANISTAN.JPG

At first the Taliban did not take action against poppy production, but in 2000 they outlawed it. There was a "slight" dip in production in 2001, and then the US took control of Afghanistan. At no time since (and including) 2004 did the Afghan Opium production fall below the highest (1999) level during the period that the Taliban was in control of Afghanistan.

Afghanistan is returning to the country it was without the western aid. I'd leave the solution to the current government, and stand ready with aid if it is asked for.

I disagree with your conclusion about loss of supply impacting demand. That would impact price not demand. Users would search for substitutes to address their demand. My comment about you sing heroin was meant to say that most people wouldn't use it no matter what the price is, while others will continue to use it no matter what the price is.
Given the concentrated negative publicity about Heroin, I agree with your "most people wouldn't use it".

With regard to your "no matter what the price is", I have to disagree - given a high enough price, some people simply wouldn't be able to afford it and would fall back on substitutes.

I don't know. You tell me. I fully support women's reproductive rights. I fully support progressive taxation. I fully support a separation of church and state. I fully support equal rights, without regard to race. But...
That makes you a "hard left Commie" as far as American conservatives are concerned.
I hate the liberal lie that the BLM protests were characterized as "peaceful" (they were not), I hate most of that woke bullshit (it's just lame ass virtue signaling), I hate the defund-the-police rhetoric and the real (in certain cities) decriminalization of crime.
That doesn't change the fact that you are REALLY a "hard left Commie" as far as American conservatives are concerned - it just makes you a "lying hypocritical hard left Commie" in their eyes.
Frankly, more than ever, the left scares me almost as much as the right. There is, in both parties, an outspoken, entitled mob of america-hating traitors, so I call myself a "moderate". It feels better than saying I'm a liberal who traveled here in a time machine from 1985.
Try "Centrist". That makes you an object of vilification and distrust by BOTH the "(American) Liberals" AND the "(American) Conservatives".

From ABC News

Now heroin prices with be hit with inflation. Thanks Biden.

Now heroin prices with be hit with inflation. Thanks Biden.
What an opportunity for small scale farmers. If you have around 1 hectare of land, you can raise enough Papaver somniferum L. to produce between 17.6 and 33 lbs. or Opium.

What an opportunity for small scale farmers. If you have around 1 hectare of land, you can raise enough Papaver somniferum L. to produce between 17.6 and 33 lbs. or Opium.
Obviously, we can’t grow poppies in the US because we dont use hectares. Of course, the weird thing is that the Afghans dont use pounds, so I dont really know what’s going on.

Back
Top Bottom