• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Taliban bar government employees without beard from work

Spunkylama

Requested Profile Delete. Bye
Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Taliban has instructed all government employees to wear a beard and adhere to a dress code or risk being fired.

Representatives from the Ministry for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice were patrolling the entrances to government offices on Monday March 28, to check that employees were in compliance with the new rules.

According to the sources, “Employees were being instructed not to shave their beards and to wear local clothing consisting of a long, loose top and trousers, and a hat or turban.

“They were also told to ensure they prayed at the correct times.”

Workers were told they would from now on be unable to enter offices and would eventually be fired if they did not meet the dress codes.

snip

'Normally Shariah prescribes a beard, which could be grasped perfectly by person's own hand. This comes comes to be approximately 8 centimeters. "They (Taliban) jail for 45 days those people who shave their beards in addition to awarding seven lashes to those who trim their beard," the Afghan refugee said.'

Taliban measure beards with lantern glass

Not so funny hilarious.

Taliban has instructed all government employees to wear a beard and adhere to a dress code or risk being fired.

Representatives from the Ministry for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice were patrolling the entrances to government offices on Monday March 28, to check that employees were in compliance with the new rules.

According to the sources, “Employees were being instructed not to shave their beards and to wear local clothing consisting of a long, loose top and trousers, and a hat or turban.

Workers were told they would from now on be unable to enter offices and would eventually be fired if they did not meet the dress codes.

snip

OK. Sounds like some pretty goofy rules IMO based on my particular culture, but I cant be too concerned about how folks choose to live in Afghanistan.

They are a very religious people aren't they? I dont care for that....but not really my concern I guess.

snip
20 years, 4 Presidents, thousands of lives and trillions of dollars later and It's like nobody has ever been in Afghanistan but Afghans.
Been that way since Alexander the Great. Arabs, Mongols, Persians, Brits, Russians, Americans, doesn't matter. That corner of the world just needs to be steered clear of.

if it wouldn´t be so serious I would think it´s a scene from Monty Python....

OK. Sounds like some pretty goofy rules IMO based on my particular culture, but I cant be too concerned about how folks choose to live in Afghanistan.

They are a very religious people aren't they? I dont care for that....but not really my concern I guess.

The right to self-determination is the key principle in American democracy and the right of a people to self-determination is a cardinal principle in modern international law. If the US did not recognize self-determination, we would not be who we are. The Taliban does not recognize the right of the people to self-determination, being democratic rule, a govt chosen by the people. Because I believe in the same thing, what the Taliban is doing in Afghanistan is of concern to me.

The guy in the center is their drummer, Frank Beard. Hilarious.

I’m not sure if they are still performing after (bass player) Dusty Hill’s death. I worded that post in an odd way which might have implied that Frank Beard had died by placing “(former)” next to his activity in the band.

My (current) girlfriend was in high school with Billy Gibbons.

Last edited:
The right to self-determination is the key principle in American democracy and the right of a people to self-determination is a cardinal principle in modern international law. If the US did not recognize self-determination, we would not be who we are. The Taliban does not recognize the right of the people to self-determination, being democratic rule, a govt chosen by the people. Because I believe in the same thing, what the Taliban is doing in Afghanistan is of concern to me.

Your own nation is literally falling apart around your ears as you type.
And you are worried about people in Afghanistan having your American style FrEeDuMbZ$™, something they pretty freaking clearly do not want.

Since you care so much....why aren't you there? You can travel the countryside in Afghanistan, meeting with the people and extolling the virtues of Capitalism/Corporatism. You'll be like Jesus.

I'm sure they will be very receptive to the message, and there is very little chance of you having your head sawed off within the first day. Report back to us and let us know of the progress you are making....wont you?

Meanwhile, I will be very busy not giving a tin shit about how people choose to live in Afghanistan.(y)

Walk into a Hasidic Hewish neighborhood in Brooklyn, and you’ll find men with long beards and/or sideburns.

There’s likely not state laws about it, but it is their cultural norm.

Sounds like the same type of cultural norm has been codified to law in a different part of the world.

The US spent 20+ years occupying the Middle East. Time to let them be.

For those of you curious, beards are taken as a sign of adulthood among men and being clean shaved is associated with youth and immaturity in Pashtun culture.

I’m not sure if they are still performing after (bass player) Dusty Hill’s death. I worded that post in an odd way which might have implied that Frank Beard had died by placing “(former)” next to his activity in the band.

My (current) girlfriend was in high school with Billy Gibbons.

I didn't get any such implication. I tend to doubt they will perform again. My future ex-girlfriend agrees.

Your own nation is literally falling apart around your ears as you type.
And you are worried about people in Afghanistan having your American style FrEeDuMbZ$™, something they pretty freaking clearly do not want.

Since you care so much....why aren't you there? You can travel the countryside in Afghanistan, meeting with the people and extolling the virtues of Capitalism/Corporatism. You'll be like Jesus.

I'm sure they will be very receptive to the message, and there is very little chance of you having your head sawed off within the first day. Report back to us and let us know of the progress you are making....wont you?

Meanwhile, I will be very busy not giving a tin shit about how people choose to live in Afghanistan.(y)

Anti-democracy authoritarianism is on the rise throughout the world and present here in the US. Being, by your own description of belief, a nationalist, you don't give a **** about the rest of the world, just yourself. Typical con thinking. "I take care of me, you take care of you" F society attitude.

People didn't "...choose to live in Afghanistan" as you wrongly state. Their way of life is being forced upon them. Your misbelief does, though, support the fact you don't give a "tin shit".

snip

I don't recall reading anything in the Qur'an about the necessity of being bearded. Can someone provide a verse number?

Walk into a Hasidic Hewish neighborhood in Brooklyn, and you’ll find men with long beards and/or sideburns.

There’s likely not state laws about it, but it is their cultural norm.

Sounds like the same type of cultural norm has been codified to law in a different part of the world.

The US spent 20+ years occupying the Middle East. Time to let them be.

The Middle East has been "occupied" for at least 3 thousand years.

I don't recall reading anything in the Qur'an about the necessity of being bearded. Can someone provide a verse number?

Read again and again. You won't find it. Of course, maybe by interpretation that some verse that differentiates men from women, therefor to tell the diff, it's by facial hair. I have no idea where the Taliban gets it from.

Back
Top Bottom