• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tales of self defense

Welcome to my blog...where I will ( try to depending upon schedule) post tales of personal self defense.....keep in mind this is a themed blog, and if you do not like what is posted, or wish to post "weapons are bad" themes, you can take it elsewhere. :)

Sheriff: Deputy shot suspect who stabbed him with machete​

Off-duty officer catches burglary suspect running from neighbor's home in Akron​

Armed Murder Suspect Fatally Shot By CHP Officers During Standoff On 105 Freeway Transition Road In Paramount​

Sheriff: Armed 95-year-old foils home invasion in Covington County​

A Sumter woman will not be charged for shooting intruder who entered her house​

Texas police say 'armed citizen' shot robbers at fast-food chicken chain, killing 1 suspect, wounding second​

Life is a matter of self defense.....violate the basic tenet of the inherent right of self defense and violence moves from the last option to the most practical option.

Looks to be a nice little project.

Guns are tools, then can be used for both good and bad, yet gun control advocates concentrate only on the bad and rarely even acknowledge the good. The bad statistics are carefully monitored and published for all to see, but very little about all of the good that guns do with regard to self defense.

Jacksonville burglar gets hit ‘upside the head’ by 81-year-old victim’s frying pan​

“I grabbed the frying pan and hit him upside the head. I knocked his teeth out ... and he went to the floor,” Smith said. “There was a pitchfork about six feet away. ... I stuck him.”

Hit in the head and stuck in the side, the intruder ran, “bleeding on the way out.” He left his white baseball cap behind.

Police searched the area, and the K-9 dog ultimately returned with a gift.

“The cop brought the K-9 back to the porch, and the dog had the wallet in his mouth,” Smith said.

Jacksonville burglar gets hit ‘upside the head’ by 81-year-old victim’s frying pan​

“I grabbed the frying pan and hit him upside the head. I knocked his teeth out ... and he went to the floor,” Smith said. “There was a pitchfork about six feet away. ... I stuck him.”

Hit in the head and stuck in the side, the intruder ran, “bleeding on the way out.” He left his white baseball cap behind.

“The cop brought the K-9 back to the porch, and the dog had the wallet in his mouth,” Smith said.

Almost too good to be true. "Intruder" is more correct, it does not assume intention to steal (burglar) nor intention to take hostages (invader) but if all the guy did was intrude then he got what he deserved. Some would say death. But I'm uneasy on that verdict. Considering this is a dipstick who didn't arm himself and ... lost his own wallet while escaping? What a sad unit.

Reactions: Bum
Almost too good to be true. "Intruder" is more correct, it does not assume intention to steal (burglar) nor intention to take hostages (invader) but if all the guy did was intrude then he got what he deserved. Some would say death. But I'm uneasy on that verdict. Considering this is a dipstick who didn't arm himself and ... lost his own wallet while escaping? What a sad unit.
Criminals are not the brightest of folks.

You should read the article.

Looks to be a nice little project.

Guns are tools, then can be used for both good and bad, yet gun control advocates concentrate only on the bad and rarely even acknowledge the good. The bad statistics are carefully monitored and published for all to see, but very little about all of the good that guns do with regard to self defense.
If “guns don’t kill people, people do” then guns don’t defend people either. It’s about who has a gun and how they were vetted and the laws are insufficient in many places.

With a permit any of those people could still own guns and have had the chance to defend their home if they ever needed to.

Without them, too many guns fall into the wrong hands, go missing, end up on the black market and so on and more people are forced to defend themselves - or flee or fail - because society is less safe.

Life is a matter of self defense

If you say so.
I have been in a couple bar fights back in the day. few fistfights at school or in the hood or whatever. Of course I was a bit more of a hooligan back then.
Never have needed to defend myself against any sort of violent attack though since way back then, and even back then if the shit was going to go down I usually made sure I was the first one to start swinging so I didnt get hit first.(y)

Never needed to shoot anyone, or pull a gun on anyone. Just havent ever experienced that. I try to stay aware of my surroundings but other than that carry no weapons or really even think of using violence for "defense". I guess maybe I'm lucky.
violate the basic tenet of the inherent right of self defense and violence moves from the last option to the most practical option.

That didnt make any sense the first 5 times you said it...and still doesnt. IMO. But: OK.

Now look, I clicked on this thread and I didnt want to do that. I'll show myself out.
Good evening.

I think I will begin
If you say so.
I have been in a couple bar fights back in the day. few fistfights at school or in the hood or whatever. Of course I was a bit more of a hooligan back then.
Never have needed to defend myself against any sort of violent attack though since way back then, and even back then if the shit was going to go down I usually made sure I was the first one to start swinging so I didnt get hit first.(y)

Never needed to shoot anyone, or pull a gun on anyone. Just havent ever experienced that. I try to stay aware of my surroundings but other than that carry no weapons or really even think of using violence for "defense". I guess maybe I'm lucky.

That didnt make any sense the first 5 times you said it...and still doesnt. IMO. But: OK.

Now look, I clicked on this thread and I didnt want to do that. I'll show myself out.
Good evening.
Thats your issue, not mine...bye.

You should read the article.

OK, now I've read the article. He had their money and ID, so he was a burglar OK.
Jones had a gun but it wasn't handy, by the sound of it. And I'm glad of that, because the dumb **** didn't deserve to die.

Another thing occurs to me though. He probably had concussion, accounting for him losing "the" wallet. Folks who regularly lose their wallet attach it to their pants with a chain or cord.
Note the article doesn't say whose wallet, however it does say "money in a plastic bag" which (if correct) rules out it being Jones' wallet (or his caretaker's)

The man told Smith to “gimme what you got” before shoving him to the ground and taking his wallet,

Of course it was Smith's wallet.
Why are you so unwilling to accept an article of successful self defense?

If you say so.
Thumbs down. Whatever the provocation and whatever the outcome, swinging first puts you in legal jeopardy.

Boxing skills include getting hit without getting hurt. The younger-you could have used those. Even not getting hit at all, providing video or witnesses bear out that the other person lunged at you, swung without connecting, or tried to grapple. Technically those are Assault even without contact.

Grapplers are the ones who concern me most. They know they can't box or kick, but they stand a chance with enough weight and/or muscle. Because not that many people can wrestle, it's not in the movies. Real wrestling can kill you, and I haven't trained for it. So Social Distancing is a great comfort for me. Anyone getting too close is presumed to be doing it deliberately (unless they're a kid I guess).

Relevant to the above incident in a farm-house, the burglar made the mistake of letting Jones inside his wrestling zone, giving up the advantage of having a gun. When it's no longer possible to point the gun at the victim, it's practically useless.

The man told Smith to “gimme what you got” before shoving him to the ground and taking his wallet,

Of course it was Smith's wallet.
Why are you so unwilling to accept an article of successful self defense?

Sigh. I made ANOTHER mistake.

The burglar remains a sad git who couldn't pull off a robbery even with a gun and the element of surprise. Even if he didn't drop his OWN wallet. Even if he took the money out of Jones's wallet. He was still met with potentially lethal force but not killed, and I consider that an ideal outcome.

Maybe you'd prefer if he's been killed? And why wouldn't it be an even better outcome if he's dropped his own ID for the dog to find?

The burglar remains a sad git who couldn't pull off a robbery even with a gun and the element of surprise
Well, it was Florida. He was a pretty sad git, wasn't he? But at least he didn't use the gun; it was probably for effect and not loaded.

I like the fact that he stole a shirt off someone's clothesline on the way to the burglary, though--shows a good upbringing. Don't steal from old people without wearing a shirt; I can't tell you how many times I heard that growing up.

And I'm glad he wasn't killed, too. Doesn't sound like they caught him, but hopefully the experience turns this lightweight from a life of crime. Then again, he did get the cash and some saleable ID's. But I'll bet the headache made him think twice.

Well, it was Florida. He was a pretty sad git, wasn't he? But at least he didn't use the gun; it was probably for effect and not loaded.

I like the fact that he stole a shirt off someone's clothesline on the way to the burglary, though--shows a good upbringing. Don't steal from old people without wearing a shirt; I can't tell you how many times I heard that growing up.

And I'm glad he wasn't killed, too. Doesn't sound like they caught him, but hopefully the experience turns this lightweight from a life of crime. Then again, he did get the cash and some saleable ID's. But I'll bet the headache made him think twice.
Criminals are not exactly high IQ.....he'll do it again until he gets killed or caught; hopefully before he hurts or kills someone else.

Criminals are not exactly high IQ.....he'll do it again until he gets killed or caught; hopefully before he hurts or kills someone else.
Just a hopeful thought, but I'm sure you're right.

Reactions: Bum

Learning from books, sure it helps to be smart. But I don't think there's any clear correlation between IQ and learning from experience.

I saw a survey of prisoner IQ's and as you'd expect, the average was a bit below 100. But you know how averages work: yes there where 80-somethings who got into crime because they weren't good for anything else. Could even be that prison was a more predictable and comfortable environment for them (freedom can be frightening). But there were also IQ's of 120 and up, whose IQ served to persuade them that their cunning plan couldn't possibly go wrong. Until it did.

Knowing when to quit is one advantage not-so-bright people have. In this case the guy understood superior numbers and ran instead of fighting.

Learning from books, sure it helps to be smart. But I don't think there's any clear correlation between IQ and learning from experience.

I saw a survey of prisoner IQ's and as you'd expect, the average was a bit below 100. But you know how averages work: yes there where 80-somethings who got into crime because they weren't good for anything else. Could even be that prison was a more predictable and comfortable environment for them (freedom can be frightening). But there were also IQ's of 120 and up, whose IQ served to persuade them that their cunning plan couldn't possibly go wrong. Until it did.

Knowing when to quit is one advantage not-so-bright people have. In this case the guy understood superior numbers and ran instead of fighting.
He understood the pitchfork in his side (that had to hurt) and his knocked out teeth. I'd run, too, even if I had an IQ in the 80's.

But I get it. This is supposed to be an ode to guns, not squirting a would be invader straight in the eyes with Windex or oven cleaner. So I'll see myself out. Good talkin to you, @Bum.

He understood the pitchfork in his side (that had to hurt) and his knocked out teeth. I'd run, too, even if I had an IQ in the 80's.

But I get it. This is supposed to be an ode to guns, not squirting a would be invader straight in the eyes with Windex or oven cleaner. So I'll see myself out. Good talkin to you, @Bum.
No ma'am.....its about self defense, and you are always welcome in my humble blog. :)

From when I first heard of "blog"s I thought it sounded ugly. What kind of log, exactly?

And here I am on Bum's Blog. :)

From when I first heard of "blog"s I thought it sounded ugly. What kind of log, exactly?

And here I am on Bum's Blog. :)
Welcome to Bums blog.....its definitely an acquired taste and isn't for everyone.....you will notice at least one poster here had to make an appearance just to let me know he didnt like it before running away.

Mark 3:27, NIV: "In fact, no one can enter a strong man's house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man's house."

How could there not be? A few examples: low iq people become superstitious by committing the post hoc fallacy regarding their experiences, whereas high iq people don't. Low iq people tend to generalize from one example (one experience), whereas smart people don't. It takes intelligence to really learn from your experiences.

You're making a lot of assumptions there. Maybe some of them were smart people with violent tempers, or maybe some were smart people who somehow developed a drug problem and a drug problem can put you in prison. Hell, you can end up in prison just for motor vehicle shit.

Short for web log.

How could there not be? A few examples: low iq people become superstitious by committing the post hoc fallacy regarding their experiences, whereas high iq people don't. Low iq people tend to generalize from one example (one experience), whereas smart people don't. It takes intelligence to really learn from your experiences.

You've just explained how low IQ people can "over-learn" from one experience, which I agree with. But in the context, assuming this was the burglar's first attempt at home invasion (burglary knowing people are at home), he'll probably never try it again. Whereas a smart person might, but in a smarter way (not rounding corners without gun drawn, etc).

The smarter person, paradoxically, might think they've learned so much from what is really a no-idea cluster****, that there's "sunk cost" in that method already. Smart people are actually more prone to sunk cost thinking, since they have the luxury of "try, try again" without "cluster****, cluster**** again" being the result.

You're making a lot of assumptions there. Maybe some of them were smart people with violent tempers, or maybe some were smart people who somehow developed a drug problem and a drug problem can put you in prison. Hell, you can end up in prison just for motor vehicle shit.

Yes. I don't remember the article that well. Mainly just that it defeated my assumption the IQ of prisoners would average 80 or so. Smart people get caught also, and it doesn't seem a bold assumption that it's from over-confidence.

Really smart people go to rehab before home invasion starts to seem like a better/quicker way to get money, than con artistry or mail fraud. It's a matter of foresight, which even junkies do have.

Back
Top Bottom