• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tales from the Front Lines

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Like many others, I've been active throughout the COVID cycle, working pretty much everyday, traveling, visiting customers, holding meetings, planning construction, installation and setting up experiments with others out here on the front lines. Some of you working in the medical field are even more exposed. Truckers, retail workers, cops, EMT, etc..countless people have struggled through the virus to do their jobs for months.

Now, teachers are going back to work. Some people wish they could go back to work. Maybe we can share our stories here.

How has this pandemic affected you? What are you doing to stay safe? What do you observe from others as you go through your day?

How has this pandemic affected you?

I've been fortunate to still be working, albeit from home. In that regard I can't really complain much because the transition from a technological perspective was pretty seamless. Almost all of the applications I access are cloud based, so no annoying VPN issues. Zoom meetings have gone pretty well once the initial surge of meeting for everything subsided; there's a better etiquette around how to meet effectively in a digital format. Onsite work gives you the advantage of just stopping by someone's office and chatting; now it's a scheduled meeting. Collaborative software has worked well at filing that gap.

On the small business side of things it's been a rough go watching all of the progress my wife an I made in building our customer base just disappear over the course of a few weeks. We've been fortunate that our core clients have stuck with us, but the lack of new business has been a real killer. We've been open for a few weeks, and doing a mix of indoor and outdoor classes, as well as live streaming for those who don't want to leave their house. Hopefully we can rebuild as things improve locally.

What are you doing to stay safe?

I follow all the prevention guidelines when I go shopping for essentials. I've been bike riding every morning, but early to avoid other cyclists; so far so good. What's nice is when I'm riding home I see people heading the opposite way so it's nice to see others riding as well. My wife and daughter follow the same protocols.

What do you observe from others as you go through your day?

It's a mixed bag here, but by and large people have been pretty compliant. I think it's become clear how serious this is because someone will know a person who got sick, or had to go to a hospital; most of us also remember the frequent sound of ambulance sirens at the peak for the surge. In all my outings to supermarkets, I haven't seen any issues with people making a fuss over store mask policies.

Back
Top Bottom