• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Taking a step back for perspective...

Goshin

Burned Out Ex-Mod
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It often helps to step back and look at the big picture.
In conversation last night with someone, the person said "It seems like the whole world is plunging into chaos."
My reply was to ask him if BLM, terrorists or rogue cops had killed anyone he knew. I also asked if he'd seen anyone killed or harmed directly by BLM, ISIS or "rogue cops". I asked if there had been any fatal or serious attacks near his home, workplace or anywhere he regularly visits.

His answer to all was "No."

I said, "Sounds like YOUR world is still pretty peaceful and normal isn't it?"

It's a huge country, and 330 million people is almost impossible to really comprehend... and somewhat more than 329,999,950 of those people were not killed by terrorists, BLM or cops over the past couple weeks. The worst attack was in another country across thousands of miles of ocean.

Of course what happened is bad... and yeah, we should all be a bit more alert and cautious... but let's keep it in perspective. It SEEMS like it is everywhere because of the 24/7 news cycle and instant video... not so long ago you would have only read about it in a newspaper days or weeks later, and a Bostonian would have considered Baton Rouge to be a far away land.

Yes it is bad but compared to the total population these are still little more than flea bites unless you were directly impacted.

Most cops don't want to shoot unarmed black people... most black people don't want to shoot cops. Most people just want to go on with their lives in peace, and most of them ARE.

Last edited:
Well, maybe depends where you are...

Here in the hives of society, life's getting more chaotic, definitely. Has been for about 3 or 4 years, slowly. To take a minor example, it's not an entirely uncommon occurrence for me to get ushered out of train stations while the security folks double check for bombs (and they do a damn good job around here). I imagine any big city is going through the same. But that sure never happened to me when I was younger.

This stuff happens near me all the time. I have covered stories about blatant hate crimes, in one case against someone I was acquainted with. My friend that I left with nearly got shot at a hate crime 2 weeks before we left. I have listened to an off-duty cop admit some insanely racist, violent ****, and the blue wall of silence has been protecting him for years. As you know, my own father almost got attacked when he was so sick he could barely stand. I know immigrants who have been harassed or attacked in recent weeks -- the tone has changed, and I'm careful to gauge a "good old boy" when they approach me so that I know whether I should act rather than speak.

And you know what? I'm not surprised about what's going on in Minneapolis. It's been simmering away for years.

I think it's different when you're living in the places where all this is going down. Yeah, America was changing even when I left. It seems to have changed even more. So is Europe.

I saw it coming. I didn't come here in the hopes of escaping it -- it's not like Europe's problems weren't visible by then.

I just decided I at least want to be in the city I loved at first sight if we have to go through the 60's again. Hopefully that'll help me sort of deal with it.

And every once in a while I light a little candle and ask the sky, "Hey, daddoo? How'd you get through it? What do you do when upheaval is coming?" I wish he could answer.

Last edited:
In conversation last night with someone, the person said "It seems like the whole world is plunging into chaos."
My reply was to ask him if BLM, terrorists or rogue cops had killed anyone he knew. I also asked if he'd seen anyone killed or harmed directly by BLM, ISIS or "rogue cops". I asked if there had been any fatal or serious attacks near his home, workplace or anywhere he regularly visits.

It's a huge country, and 330 million people is almost impossible to really comprehend... and somewhat more than 329,999,950 of those people were not killed by terrorists, BLM or cops over the past couple weeks. The worst attack was in another country across thousands of miles of ocean.

Of course what happened is bad... and yeah, we should all be a bit more alert and cautious... but let's keep it in perspective. It SEEMS like it is everywhere because of the 24/7 news cycle and instant video... not so long ago you would have only read about it in a newspaper days or weeks later, and a Bostonian would have considered Baton Rouge to be a far away land.

Yes it is bad but compared to the total population these are still little more than flea bites unless you were directly impacted.

Most cops don't want to shoot unarmed black people... most black people don't want to shoot cops. Most people just want to go on with their lives in peace, and most of them ARE.

All one has to do to improve one's outlook is to stop watching the news.

You have the right idea, Goshin.

People can't grasp that right now - right now - is the most peaceful (relative to population), the most prosperous, the longest-lived time in all of recorded human history. Unfortunately, in their never-ending quest for ratings, the 24/7 media can't allow us to realize that fact.

The perception of chaos comes from our leaders. We have one who gins up racial animosity by seeing the world through a racial prism. And who has single handedly ushered in the rise of a deadly terrorist force. We have another who has no concept of the rule of law and believes she's above the law. And we have another who is simply a buffoon.

This all generates a feeling of the need to do something. To stop these fools. Hope and change, my ass. More like helplessness and rage.

You and I do not agree on much, but I want to give you credit for this post. Excellent post.

Yep so very true, tragic, sad events, events that cause concern and need looked at but the end of times it aint and things are better than they have been, race relations and equal rights are better than they have ever been in my life time. Its media and nutters that get ATTENTION but they arent the everyday reality among normal people.

Pretty much what I said here :http://www.debatepolitics.com/general-political-discussion/258217-race-relations-and-race-war.html

no race war is coming neither is a war on cops.

AGain things are happening, bad things but in general things are better than they have ever been on this issues.

People can't grasp that right now - right now - is the most peaceful (relative to population), the most prosperous, the longest-lived time in all of recorded human history. Unfortunately, in their never-ending quest for ratings, the 24/7 media can't allow us to realize that fact.

ding ding ding ding

fluff and hype thats all it is and unfortunately some nutters outside the media are guilty of fanning the flames too.

ding ding ding ding

fluff and hype thats all it is and unfortunately some nutters outside the media are guilty of fanning the flames too.

Oh you bet. A lot of crazies love to blow stuff out of proportion.

I think that is true, but it is also what, ironically, leads people to believe the whole world is collapsing. We are largely prosperous and peaceful-which makes the senseless acts of random, extreme violence seem so out of place. It is the contrast between the peaceful and a brutality and violence that seems to be on the rise that leads to the impression that things are getting worse.

Today I dropped my son off at a camp and had to come back to give him something. One if my basic thoughts was that his seat was too close to the door opening and that a shooter would possibly hit him first. No, I don't know of anyone personally killed by police, thugs or terrorists but the fear is there. Fear is what terrorism is all about so on some level we are all impacted.

Last edited:
<snip>

Most cops don't want to shoot unarmed black people... most black people don't want to shoot cops. Most people just want to go on with their lives in peace, and most of them ARE.[/FONT]
But politicians and political parties derive power, and the media derives profit, from the citizens' fears and desires to know about these events!

And that's a big part of the problem!

The "JUSTICE" system is ****ed.

If you are not in agreement with this opinion then I have to assume that you lack education, we should explore the question.

Signed:
Hawkeye10

i agree that there is a difference between reaciton, overeaction and inaction. We, especially via our laws, must be careful not to confuse them. The knee jerk response to things that go bad (wrong?) is too often much more government and less personal freedom. Lost in that rush for the federal government to "do something" is personal/corporate responsibility.

Taking 9/11/2001 as a prime example - 20 (19?) folks from Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Yemen "armed" with box cutters gained control of commercial aircraft and drove (piloted?) them into buildings killing about 3K innocent people. Yes, it was very bad, but nowhere near the "normal" annual loss of life from street crime.

The overreaction at the federal level to that single act of terrror was stunning. Dole out millions to each victim's family, create a federal "presense" of 50K permanent airport nannies, start a foreign war (or two?) lasting at least 15 years in a nation (or two?) that had "allowed training camps" or "sponsired terror".

Folks, let's get real here, the fault of the US government in that event was only in allowing lax arirline, airport and border security not failing to stop foreign lands from breeding, harboring or renting "training camp" space to Jihadists. Three or four guys "armed" with box cutters could not likely rob a typical gas station or cnvenience store yet were, in 4 out of 4 of their attempts, able to gain complete control of commercial aircraft.

The proper federal response would have been to let the two airlines involved, and probably thier insurance companies, be sued out of existence to reasonably compensate the victims. Pass strict secruity standards for commercial airport and aircraft (locked cabins, checking passengers and cargo fr contraband) allowed to use US airspace and have the FAA (or FBI) verfy compliance. The US military had zero need to get involved - it is not, was not and should never become responsible for playing policeman, nation builder or even for providing "military training" in foreign lands.

Meanwhile, we have done virtually nothing to address border security or deal with over 12 million folks that "slipped through the cracks" into the country and still roam freely about (plotting the next big news story?). We now have 10 TSA airport nannies for each ICE agent - that is just plain stupid.

Last edited:
The "JUSTICE" system is ****ed.

If you are not in agreement with this opinion then I have to assume that you lack education, we should explore the question.

Signed:
Hawkeye10

I'm not sure why my post generated that remark, exactly... but as an ex-cop yeah I am quite aware our justice system is badly screwed up.

I'm not sure why my post generated that remark, exactly... but as an ex-cop yeah I am quite aware our justice system is badly screwed up.

I have no tolerance for Pollyanna's on this topic, it is too important, and too much harm is being done.

Crime statistics are down and have been diving for many many years. Only difference is there being cameras in every pocket and news thinking ratings is more important than actually reporting news. It's always been in news, "If it bleeds, it leads" but the ratings race has made it far far worse.

I have no tolerance for Pollyanna's on this topic, it is too important, and too much harm is being done.

Hm. Can't say I've ever been called a Pollyanna (I know the reference)... I've been called "paranoid" though. :D

I'm just saying, let's not all get too caught up in this that we lose perspective. It is bad, but it isn't everywhere all the time 24/7 hitting everyone. Most of us are still going about our normal lives... it isn't exactly apocalypse time yet...

Back
Top Bottom