• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Takes a year to fire this cop. Why so long?

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
/Think of how many other people this asshole cop abused or falsely arrested.

Think of how many other people this asshole cop abused or falsely arrested.
How many are there?
Do you even know or are you just engaged in make believe?
Seriously? How do you know this wasn't just an isolated incident?

Regardless, he was reinstated.

How many are there?
Do you even know or are you just engaged in make believe?
Seriously? How do you know this wasn't just an isolated incident?

Regardless, he was reinstated.

There's a ton of videos of police officers committing crimes.

Thank goodness this Officer is back on the job.

He's got a family to provide for and a community to protect.

Thank you Officer!!!

👮‍♀️ 👮‍♂️🚓🚨👮‍♀️

Another reply by you that is as absurd as it is idiotic.

Had you bothered to read what you were replying to you would have seen I asked the other poster about his commentary regarding this specific officer. Not some other irrelevant incident. Duh!

Who knows ?

If you had a ' progressive ' agenda regarding policing , funding or any related matter and you wanted to sway Compliance Gullible thinking , this is exactly the kind of video you would post .

But who knows?

The only clue is that it is You Tube . And that's like dealing with a sociopathic liar who promises to tell you the truth .

Hmm… are we to assume that if mechanics B, Q and X made shoddy repairs then mechanic A must have done so?

Look for the union label. The ‘process’ of getting the body camera footage of this (set-up?) arrest reviewed likely took most of that time. Of course, that is only the beginning - each (negative) ‘personnel action’ then gets appealed by the union legal team to assure that every pre-condition in the union contract was followed to the letter.

Probably a product of stupid democrats agreeing to idiotic public sector union contracts that make it extremely hard to fire ban employees.

Look for the union label. The ‘process’ of getting the body camera footage of this (set-up?) arrest reviewed likely took most of that time. Of course, that is only the beginning - each (negative) ‘personnel action’ then gets appealed by the union legal team to assure that every pre-condition in the union contract was followed to the letter.
I forget about the union stalling/gridlock process... thanks.

Probably a product of stupid democrats agreeing to idiotic public sector union contracts that make it extremely hard to fire ban employees.
That is most likely it... unions are almost too powerful in some cases. I guess that I would rather have than than the opposite, though.

I forget about the union stalling/gridlock process... thanks.

Yep, that is why many civil service positions essentially become jobs for life. These government employees are (or at least feel) so assured of their ‘job for life’ status that they are actually permitted to opt out of Social Security.

Why does it take so long to fire a cop, most likely public sector unions, the police union. It's probably all about the collective bargaining agreement between city and the union which both sides agreed to. The police unions are probably the ones who will prevent much needed reforms. They have their power and they intend to keep it. Of course this will vary from city to city, state to state. This is my SWAG.

Another Union protecting another poor performer.
Another union that is too powerful... overall though, unions are good...

That is most likely it... unions are almost too powerful in some cases. I guess that I would rather have than than the opposite, though.
I think unions serve a useful purpose but at the same time elected officials should be more mindful of the shit they agree to. Bad employees should be fired on the spot.It should cost the tax payers who knows how much money to do so.Nor should it take a year to fire a bad employee.

Because you live in totalitarian hellhole! Way worse than Russia and even China!
Hmm… are we to assume that if mechanics B, Q and X made shoddy repairs then mechanic A must have done so?
Comparing apples to ... scorpions.
Mechanics get their jobs knowing that they will repair things and earn a living.
Cops get their jobs KNOWING FULL WELL that they will serve a totalitarian system littered with: gross overcriminalization(most people will be arrested for/charged with/tried and convicted for victimless/trivial crimes), grossly abusive people from collegue leos, to prosecutors and judges - who will destroy lives and won't be held accountable for their abuses
One has to have an evil character in order to be willing to become a cop in the US.
Yep, that is why many civil service positions essentially become jobs for life.
Why does it take so long to fire a cop, most likely public sector unions, the police union.
These cops commit serious crimes. They should be treated as dangerous criminals in the first place. I'm not aware of many jurisdictions where "unions" can give you immunity from arrest and criminal prosecution. In many other countries such cops would be arrested immediately.

I think unions serve a useful purpose but at the same time elected officials should be more mindful of the shit they agree to. Bad employees should be fired on the spot.It should cost the tax payers who knows how much money to do so.Nor should it take a year to fire a bad employee.
Agreed...

"Yeah, defund the police!!!!"

Well, if by "defund the police" you mean drumming criminal police officers out of the force and no longer giving them taxpayer money to abuse citizens, then yes. Let's defund those police officers.

because management ****ed up the investigation
and the arbitrator called them on it

a number of people in this thread want to blame the union
wrong actor
it was management

the arbitrator pointed it out:
... The department failed to comply with the Law Enforcement Officers’ Bill of Rights on several grounds, according to the arbitrator. The city was unable to provide video and audio tapes of interviews with the man Mulero arrested made during the IA investigation “so they were available for comparison to the typewritten statement.”

The arbitrator also found issue with Deputy Chief Gary Batten’s role in the analysis and conclusions made in the IA report. Batten changed the conclusion for the excessive force charge from “not sustained” to “sustained” and deleted the explanatory clause the IA sergeant had given for his earlier “not sustained” outcome, according to the arbitrator’s ruling.

The arbitrator wrote this was “no mere grammatical or writing style correction; it is a substantive increase in the ultimate findings and may, frankly, have been the tipping point that led to discharge as the discipline imposed.” ...

the union - which is comprised of people who work in that bargaining unit - has a fiduciary obligation to represent the employee. much like a public defender must work in the best interests of his client, no matter how guilty the client may be
and the union pointed out the management FUBAR that the arbitrator pointed to

if management had clean hands in this matter, the arbitrator would have upheld the termination

so, again, to answer the OP's question "Takes a year to fire this cop. Why so long?"
wrong question
the cop was not fired
because management ****ed up
they rigged the case and got caught
when all they needed to do was present the facts
facts that would have been compelling against the cop

the union cannot defend the indefensible
in this case. management got the cop un-terminated

Well, if by "defund the police" you mean drumming criminal police officers out of the force and no longer giving them taxpayer money to abuse citizens, then yes. Let's defund those police officers.
@American

That is all it really is... guys with his attitude can't see beyond the unfortunate slogan, "defund the police", which really means restructure the police.

It has worked well in several cities and if I remember correctly Camden, New Jersey was a great turn around success story. We need more like that...

If this "senior citizen" were really an ex military policeman, he'd know that he should cooperate with police when they're questioning him. BTW, the author of this thread is pulling a typical cop-hating leftwing tactic: Not showing the entire story.

Back
Top Bottom