• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tacos Al Pastor: Pork Tacos AMAZING!

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
INGREDIENTS:

1 (5-pound) boneless pork shoulder roast (Boston butt), extra fat trimmed off
1 (12-oz.) bottle of beer (I used Modelo Negro, or use chicken stock if making this gluten-free)
2 chipotles in adobo sauce
1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cored, then roughly chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 tablespoons chili powder (not cayenne)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
corn tortillas, for serving
optional toppings: crumbled goat cheese, (extra) diced fresh pineapple, chopped fresh cilantro leaves, chopped red onions, diced avocado, thinly-sliced radishes

Cut the pork shoulder into 2-inch cubes. Add the pork to the bowl of the slow cooker.

Add the chipotles in adobo, pineapple, red onion, chili powder, lime juice, white vinegar, salt, cumin and black pepper to a blender or food processor. Puree until the mixture is completely smooth, about 30-60 seconds. Stir in the beer until it is evenly combined. Then pour the mixture on top of the pork, and toss until the pork is evenly coated.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours, until the pork is completely tender and shreds easily with a fork. Use two forks to shred the pork, then toss it in the remaining juices.

Serve warm on tortillas, garnished with optional toppings.

Slow Cooker Tacos Al Pastor | Gimme Some Oven

So I used to eat these at a Mexican place near by. They shut down sadly. But this dish is what got me hooked and it was amazing. I finally found the right recipe that doesn't make the pork end up looking like dog food.

I will recommend cutting off a good amount of fat off the pork though. If you don't it will get really greasy. Other than that it is a great dish and can serve 4 people no problem.

And corn tortillas rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might have to try this. I love love love the pulled pork tacos a place nearby makes.

I also love crock-pots for long, slow cooking.

I might have to try this. I love love love the pulled pork tacos a place nearby makes.

I also love crock-pots for long, slow cooking.

Yea. It really is similar. The meat has a slightly different taste than pulled pork. But it is close.

Slow Cooker Tacos Al Pastor | Gimme Some Oven

So I used to eat these at a Mexican place near by. They shut down sadly. But this dish is what got me hooked and it was amazing. I finally found the right recipe that doesn't make the pork end up looking like dog food.

I will recommend cutting off a good amount of fat off the pork though. If you don't it will get really greasy. Other than that it is a great dish and can serve 4 people no problem.

And corn tortillas rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds amazingly good. Thanks! :)

And yes, corn tortillas ONLY for tacos. ;)

This sounds amazingly good. Thanks! :)

And yes, corn tortillas ONLY for tacos. ;)

Most Mexican places do serve this dish, but if it isn't shredded and has lime and cilantro on the side...it won't be good

Most Mexican places do serve this dish, but if it isn't shredded and has lime and cilantro on the side...it won't be good

I am a Mexican American, grew up in San Diego, and have eaten in Mexican restaurants across the country and as far south as Rosarito Beach, Mexico. I've never heard of this dish. :D You sure it's not Cubano?

I am a Mexican American, grew up in San Diego, and have eaten in Mexican restaurants across the country and as far south as Rosarito Beach, Mexico. I've never heard of this dish. :D You sure it's not Cubano?

Lebanese Mexican lol. Based on shawarma. I'm surprised though. I've seen it at every place I've ever eaten. I don't always get it though. I love spicy and this dish isn't super spicy unless made that way.

But it is SUPER easy.

thank you!
next time i low and slow smoke a boston butt for NC BBQ
i will add another using your recipe

but it will be smoked in hickory and not mesquite

thank you!
next time i low and slow smoke a boston butt for NC BBQ
i will add another using your recipe

but it will be smoked in hickory and not mesquite

I think that will be the next meal I make is pulled pork.

My girlfriend usually cooks for me (cause I'm a sexist and believe her place is in the kitchen [not really she thinks I'm a terrible cook and only likes a few things I make and we don't own a decent grill]). I did make it one time with a rum based spicy bbq sauce that was really good. I may have to hunt more down. It really was very sweet.

I think that will be the next meal I make is pulled pork.

My girlfriend usually cooks for me (cause I'm a sexist and believe her place is in the kitchen [not really she thinks I'm a terrible cook and only likes a few things I make and we don't own a decent grill]). I did make it one time with a rum based spicy bbq sauce that was really good. I may have to hunt more down. It really was very sweet.

save that sweet sauce for the finished pork
while slow smoking/cooking baste with vinegar (and whatever hot spice you like ... ranges from hot to very mild)
first time out i would strongly encourage you to apply a dry rub
specifically, uncle yammy's memphis style chicken and rib rub (the steak rub is good too, but this is better for pork)
uncle yammys rub.jpg
if there is a food lion nearby, try that as a source
coat that butt with the yammy's mixture ... ready to cook
while peach wood is my favorite smoking wood especially for pork (cherry for beef), for BBQ, hickory is the obvious play
try to keep the cooker somewhere around 200 -225 degrees (F for our metric friends)
put your vinegar and spices in a spray bottle and INFREQUENTLY (when checking meat temperature), baste the meat
if using a digital thermometer (recommended) you will notice the meat seemingly not change in temperature as it approaches 175-185 degrees. wait - probably quite a while - until it reaches 200 and then remove it from the heat and allow it to rest ten minutes before you begin chopping that butt into edible bite-sized pieces

if uncle yammy's is not available or you prefer to make your own rub, try this (recognizing no two cooks are likely going to have the same mixture):

2 Tbs. kosher salt (NEVER use iodized salt, it ruins stuff)

2 Tbs. sugar (I prefer Hawaii raw when I can get it.)

2 Tbs. brown sugar

2 Tbs. ground cumin seed

2 Tbs. chili powder (pure not with garlic etc. added)

2 Tbs. cracked black pepper

1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (there is no substitute)

4 Tbs. Hungarian paprika

2 Tbs. ground sage (my secret ingredient)

here is what i put in my basting mixture (and i also use it as my non-sweet dipping sauce):

1 C white vinegar

1 C apple cider vinegar

1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)

1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)

1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce

1 tsp. kosher salt

1 tsp. cracked black pepper

I like my tacos al pastor when they hang the meat and slice it right into the tortilla. Other than that if I make it myself, I just buy the seasoned meat at a meat store, carniceria, and cook it.

Back
Top Bottom