• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Syrian refugee doctor explains to Ukrainians why hospitals are the most dangerous place to be right now

ataraxia

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Fascinating perspective from a Syrian doctor into how the Russian military acts- a warning from someone who has been through it before:

“ As a Syrian doctor and former hospital director in Aleppo, I know exactly what it means to be a direct target for the Russian forces. The war crimes that are being committed in Ukraine right now are, unfortunately, nothing new. They are no coincidence. Attacks on healthcare facilities are a strategic play by Russian and Russian-backed Syrian regimes and they have been attempted, developed and repeated for at least the past 11 years… We had a saying that living near the front lines was safer than being in the hospitals…

Managing a hospital while knowing that you are the main target is a huge dilemma. The more accessible the hospital is, the easier it is to be attacked. In Aleppo, everyone knows that the hospitals are the most dangerous places to be in, or nearby...

Now is not a time for us to say, "We told you so." Now is the time to support the people of Ukraine. It is devastating that this had to happen, for the world to take notice of what this criminal regime is capable of, and I sincerely hope that this will be the last time. I hope the world will say once and for all, "Never again."

And to my fellow doctors, nurses and medical professionals in Ukraine, I say, expect no red lines in this war. There will be no ethics, no manners, from your Russian enemy. This is a new era of providing healthcare during the conflict, where the normal health policies become useless.

Find suitable new guidelines to discharge patients as soon as possible. Limit the gathering of many patients at the same location -- try to distribute the services you provide to many locations instead of one. The most important thing is to remember you are not only providing healthcare -- you are the heart of your city's resilience.”

The Russian air force operating in Syria regularly bombed hospitals and clinics.

And after about 20 minutes they would come by again and bomb the rescue workers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom