• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Syrian Rebel Groups Slam Western-backed Opposition.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
More than a dozen key Syrian rebel groups said Wednesday that they reject the authority of the Western-backed opposition coalition, as U.N. inspectors returned to the country to continue their probe into chemical weapons attacks.

In a joint statement, 13 rebel groups including a powerful al-Qaida-linked faction but also more mainstream forces slammed the Turkey-based Syrian National Coalition, saying it no longer represents their interests.

The rebel groups' statement was titled "Communique No. 1," a term used before in Arab countries following military coups that suggests the creation of a new leadership body.

It said the rebels do "not recognize" any future government formed outside Syria, insisting that forces fighting on the ground should be represented by "those who suffered and took part in the sacrifices."

Among the signatories are the Islamist-leaning Ahrar al-Sham and Liwaa al-Islam brigades, both powerful rebel factions with large followings on the ground, as well as the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front. Three of them — the Liwaa al-Tawheed, the Liwaa al-Islam, and the Suqour al-Sham — have until now been part of the Free Syrian Army, considered to be the Coalition's military wing.....snip~

Syrian rebel groups slam Western-backed opposition

It appears the Rebel/Terrorists have spoken.....not to mention now the FSA is losing most of their Military Wing. Moreover now the Russians have got the Inspectors to go in and specifically look at an Attack the Rebels/Terrorists made on the village of Khan al Assal outside the city of Aleppo, which was captured by the rebels in July.

It appears the Rebel/Terrorists have spoken.....not to mention now the FSA is losing most of their Military Wing. Moreover now the Russians have got the Inspectors to go in and specifically look at an Attack the Rebels/Terrorists made on the village of Khan al Assal outside the city of Aleppo, which was captured by the rebels in July.

Given the Russians so called "investigation" they have done with their own attacks in the past, do you really think they will provide a non-biased look? I mean that's like asking Iran to look at human-rights violations the North Koreans are doing.

Again, I think both sides are crooked as hell in Syria, but I sure am not under any delusions that the Russians will be non-biased either.

Given the Russians so called "investigation" they have done with their own attacks in the past, do you really think they will provide a non-biased look? I mean that's like asking Iran to look at human-rights violations the North Koreans are doing.

Again, I think both sides are crooked as hell in Syria, but I sure am not under any delusions that the Russians will be non-biased either.

Russia isn't worried about their attacks in the past.....Just like the US isn't worried about having used Napalm. But they are determined to prove that the Rebels used Chems. Moreover these are the same UN inspectors that were sent in on the 21st. Plus now Russia is willing to send in Advisors. Which means any proof that the Rebels/Terrorists used Chems. Then Russia can have open season on them.

Which if that happens.....you can say goodbye to the Western back Opposition. No way can they stand on their own two feet now battling these Islamists and the Russians.

The SNC has never accepted Islamist extremist groups. It wants democracy, not totalitarian Sharia law. These extremists "slamming" the SNC have never been invited to join.

The SNC has never accepted Islamist extremist groups. It wants democracy, not totalitarian Sharia law.

Yeah.....except for having those backers from the MB and the Salafists. That's makes the Democracy theory questionable. Moreover we already have articles where it shown even FSA Commanders wants some form of Sharia law.

Yet how does this change up anything with the most Powerful of the Rebel/Terrorists and now the majority of the SNC/FSA's Military wing going against them?

It appears at this moment in time the French/American led pipedream.....is a complete bust. Maybe next time.....we shouldn't be so eager to listen to much of the what the French says and we should know who all the players are before we try to jump into the game.

It's like a kid that was not invited to the prom:

I didn't wanna go anyway. Proms suck! We should make our own prom, it would be super cool!

Yet how does this change up anything with the most Powerful of the Rebel/Terrorists and now the majority of the SNC/FSA's Military wing going against them?

Got a citation with numbers? IHS Jane claimed a max of 30k out of 100k. You believed that report last week.

It's like a kid that was not invited to the prom:

I didn't wanna go anyway. Proms suck! We should make our own prom, it would be super cool!

Got a citation with numbers? IHS Jane claimed a max of 30k out of 100k. You believed that report last week.

Actually here it was more like.....those who talk a good game yet was afraid to handle things on their own. So please wont someone take my hand, hold my hand, and please don't let me go it alone, as we cant stand on our own two feet all alone, in the dark, by ourselves.

You got anything other than John Kerry said as a source and proof with any sort of validation.....YET????? You mean to tell me not even after a month. You still can't come up with anything. Anything other than well the government says so.....so it has to be true. :lamo

You got anything other than John Kerry said as a source and proof with any sort of validation.....YET????? You mean to tell me not even after a month. You still can't come up with anything. Anything other than well the government says so.....so it has to be true. :lamo

The SoS claimed 15-25% extremists. IHS Jane claimed 30k of 100k extremist. Your narrative remains the same as well, "they're mostly terrorists and will take over Syria". The supporters of the ~2/3 (SNC) far outnumber the supporters of the 1/3 (extreme Islamists). Thus, much more of the country supports a non-extreme democracy, with even females voting. And human rights, including what should be their first amendment "the government shall not gas the people".

As the extremists provide security, the longer Assad wages war against his people the stronger the extremist and especially terrorist groups become. Will we wait until social capital is destroyed, as in Iraq, before we end the slaughter?

The SoS claimed 15-25% extremists. IHS Jane claimed 30k of 100k extremist. Your narrative remains the same as well, "they're mostly terrorists and will take over Syria". The supporters of the ~2/3 (SNC) far outnumber the supporters of the 1/3 (extreme Islamists). Thus, much more of the country supports a non-extreme democracy, with even females voting. And human rights, including what should be their first amendment "the government shall not gas the people".

As the extremists provide security, the longer Assad wages war against his people the stronger the extremist and especially terrorist groups become. Will we wait until social capital is destroyed, as in Iraq, before we end the slaughter?

Extremists.....Islamists.....looking in and finding more Islamists. Don't forget now you criticized the IHS Jane report so you cant use that as a basis now. To use it then would be to use all of the report as to what it stated. Not just the parts you want to cherry pick. Which then that leaves you back to square one. John Kerry said and the Government says so.....so it must be true. Which all know where that stands in the true reality of things.

Stop the slaughter? What a joke.....The Sunni Muslims and their Doctrine are slaughtering the Shia. They slaughter Christians and others of opposing faiths. They have been committing non stop Genocide upon the Shia for generations. They have been using Democracy to gain power. That's the only purpose it is used for. Moreover the majority that are Democracies the women have no Rights.....nor any others that are considered an Abomination before their God.

We will end the Slaughter? Ask yourself first.....why we are assisting it and handing countries over to the Sunni to run. When they have deceived all from their own words that come out of their own mouths. That enemy of my enemy is my friend scenario.....was never a strategy that was a winning one.

Extremists.....Islamists.....looking in and finding more Islamists.

They're pretty much all Islamist, we're discussing Syria. Not all Islamists are extremists.

Don't forget now you criticized the IHS Jane report so you cant use that as a basis now.

I criticized your presenting it as fact and as if it supported your position. I also criticized believing it (a private, profit and PR based company) over the word of the State Department. Nonetheless, it seems you've finally come to realize that it supports the SoS's claim and so you have decided to abandon it.

To use it then would be to use all of the report as to what it stated. Not just the parts you want to cherry pick. Which then that leaves you back to square one. John Kerry said and the Government says so.....so it must be true. Which all know where that stands in the true reality of things.

The report was clear and supported the SoS's claim. Perhaps you should try reading it again.

They're pretty much all Islamist, we're discussing Syria. Not all Islamists are extremists.

I criticized your presenting it as fact and as if it supported your position. I also criticized believing it (a private, profit and PR based company) over the word of the State Department. Nonetheless, it seems you've finally come to realize that it supports the SoS's claim and so you have decided to abandon it.

The report was clear and supported the SoS's claim. Perhaps you should try reading it again.

Uh yeah, its about those Islamists inside Syria, not to difficult to remember.....I mean if you need to say so to remind yourself. I don't have a problem with it. Also the Islamists backers that come from outside Syria who have jumped off into the mix. Such as the MB and the Salafists, the Saud and the Qataris.

No I didn't abandon it......which the IHS Jane Report also discussed the Alleged Moderates and what the real picture looked like. Despite you believing that just because they say moderate that this clears them from anything having to do with Sharia Law. Course you have a tendency to not notice all the little parts, while worrying about Human Rights in a conflict.

Again the descriptor doesn't support Kerry's Claim over the discussion over those levels of moderation by the All the Islamists.....and Kerry lowballing it to 15% should have gave you the clue.

Uh yeah
Again the descriptor doesn't support Kerry's Claim over the discussion over those levels of moderation by the All the Islamists.....and Kerry lowballing it to 15% should have gave you the clue.

What percentage do you claim and by what source presenting those numbers?

Uh yeah, its about those Islamists inside Syria, not to difficult to remember..

Perhaps the problem is your inability to differentiate between Islamist and Islamist extremist. Is that why you don't understand the report's (or any) macro numbers about this? If you equate Islamist with extremist, then I can see how you might think nearly all Syrians are whack-jobs.

What percentage do you claim and by what source presenting those numbers?

I doubt any can say the MB, Salafists, the Saud and Qataris aren't the driving force and backers outside of Syria.

Perhaps the problem is your inability to differentiate between Islamist and Islamist extremist. Is that why you don't understand the report's (or any) macro numbers about this? If you equate Islamist with extremist, then I can see how you might think nearly all Syrians are whack-jobs.

Nah, it has to do with understanding the whole content as to what was discussed concerning the Islamists and Moderates inside Syria. Which clearly you have forgotten or are lacking.

Meanwhile.....those Christians and Kurds that the Sunni like to massacre. Are Syrians to.....and have more of Right to have a say about things. Then the Saud and the Qataris or the MB and Salafists. Yet no one is listening to them.

This development is no real surprise. Despite more than 2 1/2 years to do so, the anti-Assad movement has not committed itself to inclusive, democratic governance. That omission is not accidental. That some in the movement are adding specificity in terms of where it stands illustrates that the civil war is merely a sectarian conflict. It is not a democratic uprising.

Last edited:
The SNC has never accepted Islamist extremist groups. It wants democracy, not totalitarian Sharia law. These extremists "slamming" the SNC have never been invited to join.

The SNC is merely one of many factions involved in the uprising. Moreover, it has not issued any formal manifestos or communiques specifically embracing democratic government.

The National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces | Local coordination committees of Syria

Its statement of aims refers to "freedom," but in the Mideast (and elsewhere), "freedom" has not always been viewed from a standpoint of democratic, inclusive governance. No specific content has been provided in terms of actual political governance. Moreover, the statement does not rule out Sharia or some other political Islamist arrangement.

Finally, it is not even clear that the SNC has the capability to assert jurisdiction over the multi-faction opposition movement. It's one actor.

The SNC is merely one of many factions involved in the uprising. Moreover, it has not issued any formal manifestos or communiques specifically embracing democratic government.

The National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces | Local coordination committees of Syria

Its statement of aims refers to "freedom," but in the Mideast (and elsewhere), "freedom" has not always been viewed from a standpoint of democratic, inclusive governance. No specific content has been provided in terms of actual political governance. Moreover, the statement does not rule out Sharia or some other political Islamist arrangement.

Finally, it is not even clear that the SNC has the capability to assert jurisdiction over the multi-faction opposition movement. It's one actor.

Heya DS.....well it is clear the UN doesn't see the SNC as the ruling Government of Syria, they are dealing with Assad. Seems they only have a few that Officially recognized them.

It is also clear that the FSA and SNC.....wont be able to handle those in the North.

The SNC is merely one of many factions involved in the uprising.

The SNC is the recognized representation of the people of Syria by most of the Western world.

Heya DS.....yes still many of factions. Not to mention there is a whole lot of countries that don't recognize the SNC.....including the UN. Only 7 Countries that have Officially Recognized the SNC a the Ruling Government. Not to mention only 17 Support them.

800px-CountriesRecognizingSNC.svg.png

Red....Map of states that have/have not recognised the Syrian National Council Syria

Green.....States that have diplomatically recognised the SNC as the sole legitimate government of Syria

Blue.....States that officially support/recognise the SNC as a partner in dialogue or as an opposition group

Yellow.....States that unofficially support the SNC as partner in dialogue

Orange.....States with informal relations with the SNC

Grey.....States that have not expressed support for the SNC....snip~

International recognition of the Syrian National Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The SNC is the recognized representation of the people of Syria by most of the Western world.

For the most part, it's recognized as one of the parties that should engage in negotiations to bring about a political solution. External recognition, though, is very different from a faction's actually being in a position to exert influence as the sole or leading representative of the opposition.

External recognition, though, is very different from a faction's actually being in a position to exert influence as the sole or leading representative of the opposition.

Not really. UN support trumps local terror.

Not really. UN support trumps local terror.

UN support has not always amounted to much. Certainly, if the war ended today, it's difficult to envision the SNC's being able to exert control over the entire opposition movement, much less get all of the factions to disarm to a new national army. UN reports also indicated that the more extreme elements are gaining influence within the larger opposition movement. In that context, various groups have rejected the SNC's authority. It is very unlikely that the SNC will be able to do anything about that rejection e.g., remove them from the opposition movement.

Back
Top Bottom