• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists

ukangel

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Opposition forces battling Bashar al-Assad's regime in Syria now number around 100,000 fighters, but after more than two years of fighting they are fragmented into as many as 1,000 bands.

The new study by IHS Jane's, a defence consultancy, estimates there are around 10,000 jihadists - who would include foreign fighters - fighting for powerful factions linked to al-Qaeda..

Another 30,000 to 35,000 are hardline Islamists who share much of the outlook of the jihadists, but are focused purely on the Syrian war rather than a wider international struggle.

There are also at least a further 30,000 moderates belonging to groups that have an Islamic character, meaning only a small minority of the rebels are linked to secular or purely nationalist groups.

The stark assessment, to be published later this week, accords with the view of Western diplomats estimate that less than one third of the opposition forces are "palatable" to Britain, while American envoys put the figure even lower.

Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists, says IHS Jane's report - Telegraph

Who is on the ground surveying the rebels and counting their numbers?

Opposition forces battling Bashar al-Assad's regime in Syria now number around 100,000 fighters, but after more than two years of fighting they are fragmented into as many as 1,000 bands.

The new study by IHS Jane's, a defence consultancy, estimates there are around 10,000 jihadists - who would include foreign fighters - fighting for powerful factions linked to al-Qaeda..

Another 30,000 to 35,000 are hardline Islamists who share much of the outlook of the jihadists, but are focused purely on the Syrian war rather than a wider international struggle.

There are also at least a further 30,000 moderates belonging to groups that have an Islamic character, meaning only a small minority of the rebels are linked to secular or purely nationalist groups.

The stark assessment, to be published later this week, accords with the view of Western diplomats estimate that less than one third of the opposition forces are "palatable" to Britain, while American envoys put the figure even lower.

Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists, says IHS Jane's report - Telegraph

And for the hat trick:

And? WHats your point?

If this is accurate I'll to re-think my position on the subject.

The point is we have to use discernment. Do we really want to place hi tech weaponry in the hands of jihadists and do we want to give comfort to those that in different parts of the world are our enemies and in this part of the world are beheading Christians ?

Whoops didn't see that !

Hiya UK Angel. :2wave: That's alright.....check it out. I got some others up on how Syria has split into 3 now too. Plus like who the Backers are from the get go. Quite a few around here have some good material up on what the whole picture is. ;)

Middle East Forum, Breaking News Forums, and General Political Discussion Forums.....would be the ones with the Most threads on Syria.

Btw Welcome to the Forums of Debate Politics.
yo2.gif

Last edited:
If this is accurate I'll to re-think my position on the subject.

It's a private (publicly traded) data handling company. Where did they get their data?

Some of the same people who refuse to believe the US Secretary of State have no problem believing a private data handling company with data from an unknown source.

It's a private (publicly traded) data handling company. Where did they get their data?

Some of the same people who refuse to believe the US Secretary of State have no problem believing a private data handling company with data from an unknown source.

From the article:

"The study is based on intelligence estimates and interviews with activists and militants. The lengthy fighting has seen the emergence of hundreds of separate rebel bands, each operating in small pockets of the country, which are usually loyal to larger factions."

From the article:

"The study is based on intelligence estimates and interviews with activists and militants. The lengthy fighting has seen the emergence of hundreds of separate rebel bands, each operating in small pockets of the country, which are usually loyal to larger factions."

Intel estimates from whom? Who was interviewed?

Intel estimates from whom? Who was interviewed?

I would assume intel estimates from the Westen intelligence agencies and militants on the ground, but IDK though.

I would assume intel estimates from the Westen intelligence agencies and militants on the ground, but IDK though.

We have no idea what intel estimates and we have no idea what activists and militants were interviewed.

Nonetheless, the data handling company claims that nearly 50% of the rebels are moderate.

Heya Mr I. that's what the link says.....also Lister did the Report. Moreover if you read the piece you will see it is stating that Moderates have an Islamist bent. Which lets not forget. Eco says his proof is.....John Kerry said so. That he is part of the US government and that he is to be believed over all other reports showing things aren't as Kerry stated. :mrgreen:

More reputable than the White House, always has been.

More reputable than the White House, always has been.

You're now claiming that a random company, who does not reveal sources, is more reliable than the White House?

You're now claiming that a random company, who does not reveal sources, is more reliable than the White House?

The White House spins as does #10 Downing Street and all the others.

The White House spins as does #10 Downing Street and all the others.

Your loyalty is with corporations that refuse to reveal sources?

Your loyalty is with corporations that refuse to reveal sources?

I have no loyalty other than to the constitution. And the truth when I can find it!

I have no loyalty other than to the constitution. And the truth when I can find it!

You will not find those (in any appreciable quantity) at RT, PressTV or the Assad regime.

So, are you saying you believe anything and everything the government says?

No, I'm asking why you believe a private corporation that refuses to give sources or evidence.

So, are you saying you believe anything and everything the government says?

Of course he does, that's why he'll fall for another US war in the ME. But I'm sure your question was rhetorical. :)

No, I'm asking why you believe a private corporation that refuses to give sources or evidence.

Looks like their report is being released so you will see be able to see whats in it. For all the World to see.

Moreover unlike you.....I just don't go with what I am being told by government. You have been shown multiple sources all bringing up aspects to the same issue. Wherein thousands times over, it has been proven that government and those working in it.....will out right lie and falsify information. So truly you are not standing on any Righteous ground there.

Also unlike you.....I don't just look at a specific piece of the puzzle. I look at the Whole Picture the puzzle makes up. So your question isn't even relevant since I don't go by just one source of information.

Back
Top Bottom