• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Syria naval base blast points to Israeli raid

Fallenangel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Syria naval base blast points to Israeli raid | Reuters

"(Reuters) - Foreign forces destroyed advanced Russian anti-ship missiles in Syria last week, rebels said on Tuesday - a disclosure that appeared to point to an Israeli raid.
Qassem Saadeddine, spokesman for the Free Syrian Army's Supreme Military Council, said a pre-dawn strike on Friday hit a Syrian navy barracks at Safira, near the port of Latakia. He said that the rebel forces' intelligence network had identified newly supplied Yakhont missiles being stored there."

Mysterious blasts were reported last week at a coastline military facility near Latakia. At first the rebels took the responsibility for the attack, however now they claim Israel destroyed a storage of Russian Yakhont missiles. (It was indeed reported few months ago that Russia supplied Yakhont missiles to Syria.)

The syrian government and al-Assad are being relatively quiet about this incident - what may further indicate that it was indeed Israel - because al-Assad vowed to retaliate in any case of future Israeli attacks on Syrian land.

Cheers,
Fallen.

Syria naval base blast points to Israeli raid | Reuters

"(Reuters) - Foreign forces destroyed advanced Russian anti-ship missiles in Syria last week, rebels said on Tuesday - a disclosure that appeared to point to an Israeli raid.
Qassem Saadeddine, spokesman for the Free Syrian Army's Supreme Military Council, said a pre-dawn strike on Friday hit a Syrian navy barracks at Safira, near the port of Latakia. He said that the rebel forces' intelligence network had identified newly supplied Yakhont missiles being stored there."

Mysterious blasts were reported last week at a coastline military facility near Latakia. At first the rebels took the responsibility for the attack, however now they claim Israel destroyed a storage of Russian Yakhont missiles. (It was indeed reported few months ago that Russia supplied Yakhont missiles to Syria.)

The syrian government and al-Assad are being relatively quiet about this incident - what may further indicate that it was indeed Israel - because al-Assad vowed to retaliate in any case of future Israeli attacks on Syrian land.

Cheers,
Fallen.

If it is Israel, Assad's going to be publicly humiliated and embarrassed. There's almost no benefits to attacking Israel but plenty of drawbacks, and Assad's failure to act could be easily harped on by the rebels.

If it is Israel, Assad's going to be publicly humiliated and embarrassed. There's almost no benefits to attacking Israel but plenty of drawbacks, and Assad's failure to act could be easily harped on by the rebels.

Even if it was Israel al-Assad would not admit that (at least not now).
If he would point his finger towards Israel, he would be indeed humiliated, and would have to retaliate against Israel - the last thing he needs or/and wants right now is to open another front, his retaliation will also provide an additional excuse for a larger Western involvement.

Cheers,
Fallen.

If he would point his finger towards Israel, he would be indeed humiliated, and would have to retaliate against Israel - the last thing he needs or/and wants right now is to open another front, his retaliation will also provide an additional excuse for a larger Western involvement.

Cheers,
Fallen.

I like the way Assad has become the latest "demon from hell".....................I'll go out on a limb here and predict the next "demon from hell" will be the mayor of some forsaken dump on the West Bank...............................

Or better yet, whoever runs that cesspit called Gaza. One can only imagine the hallucinatory visuals that will give the fat garbage in Alabama.................

I like the way Assad has become the latest "demon from hell".....................I'll go out on a limb here and predict the next "demon from hell" will be the mayor of some forsaken dump on the West Bank...............................
If Wesley Clark's 2003 predictions continue to prove accurate, the next "demon from hell" will be Hassan Rouhani followed by the current leaders of Somalia and Sudan:

"In Clark's book, Winning Modern Wars, published in 2003, he describes his conversation with a military officer in the Pentagon shortly after 9/11 regarding a plan to attack seven Middle Eastern countries in five years: 'As I went back through the Pentagon in November 2001, one of the senior military staff officers had time for a chat. Yes, we were still on track for going against Iraq, he said.

"'But there was more. This was being discussed as part of a five-year campaign plan, he said, and there were a total of seven countries, beginning with Iraq, then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Iran, Somalia and Sudan.'"

Cheers,
Fallen.

Beyond a no-fly zone and maybe some drone strikes, I don't really think more Western involvement is necessary. My main concern is that Iran would use that as an excuse to both increase its involvement in Syria and to launch a military front against Israel or to launch a proxy war against Israel through Hezbollah. I don't know much about Rouhani's political platform, but if he's an anti-Israel hardliner then this would be a good opportunity to cement his appearance as such, assuming he can control Iranian foreign policy enough to fight a war.

Free clue:

Operation Linda Nchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Al Shabaab (AlQ affiliate) has been run out of Somalia and the Transition government is in control of the country with Western backing.

Thanks...

"Operation Linda Nchi[48] ("Protect the country";[49] Swahili: Linda Nchi[50]) is the codename for a coordinated military operation between the Somalian military, the Kenyan military, the Ethiopian military, the French military, and allegedly the United States military that began on 16 October 2011, when troops from Kenya crossed the border into the conflict zones of southern Somalia."

I guess that leaves only Iran?

Beyond a no-fly zone and maybe some drone strikes, I don't really think more Western involvement is necessary.
The "rebels" would find it really hard to win with only a limited Western involvement - and to produce that no-fly zone or drone strikes on large scales would require large military intervention from US, Europe...etc cause Syria still has an air-force and anti aircraft systems.

My main concern is that Iran would use that as an excuse to both increase its involvement in Syria and to launch a military front against Israel or to launch a proxy war against Israel through Hezbollah. I don't know much about Rouhani's political platform, but if he's an anti-Israel hardliner then this would be a good opportunity to cement his appearance as such, assuming he can control Iranian foreign policy enough to fight a war.

I doubt that Hezbollah would do that, they are too involved in the Syrian war and now in Lebanon too - but who knows.

Cheers,
Fallen.

Israel believed behind recent Syria strike – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

"A series of explosions on July 5 at a critical Syrian port was the result of airstrikes by Israeli warplanes, according to multiple U.S. officials.
Regional media widely reported the predawn explosions at Latakia, but no one had officially claimed responsibility.
Three U.S. officials told CNN the target of the airstrikes were Russian-made Yakhont anti-ship missiles that Israel believes posed a threat to its naval forces.
The officials declined to be named because of the sensitive nature of the information."

Cheers,
Fallen.

Back
Top Bottom