• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Syria Decision (Procedural issues).....

What does Obama need?

• Obama does not need international support or approval from Congress.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Obama needs international support.

• Obama needs approval from Congress.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Obama needs international support OR approval from Congress.

• Obama needs BOTH international support AND approval from Congress.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

Cameron

Politically Correct
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I'd like to limit discussion in this thread to the procedural issues presented by Obama's pending decision to take action against Syria. What should be the procedure for deciding whether or not to strike Syria? I think this question can be answered without getting into whether we should actually strike Syria.

Which, in your opinion, best describes what Obama needs to order a strike on Syria?

1. Obama does not need international support or approval from Congress
2. Obama needs international support.
3. Obama needs approval from Congress.
4. Obama needs international support OR approval from Congress
5. Obama needs BOTH international support AND approval from Congress
6. Other

Also, would you answer change if Obama planned to put troops on the ground in Syria?

According to the law(s) that apply to this situation the President would need both approval from Congress and also from the international community.

However, that being said, I don't think he physically needs either of those things. Our previous President proved that you can simply skip all the procedural steps and simply invade another country. As much as I'd like to trust our President, I have little faith that he'll follow procedure. . . if any roadblock is presented.

Although, I can't say that I'm fully for or against using force in Syria. Mathematically speaking, this wouldn't be much different than using our military to rescue another country from some terrible natural disaster, which has happened from time to time. If we were to undertake an actual military operation to simply depose Assad, it would be quick and likely have minimal casualties.

Back
Top Bottom