• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Syria Conflict Could Turn into another World War, Warns Vatican

German guy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
As Syrian President Bashar al-Assad warned any external intervention could trigger a regional war, Monsignor Mario Toso, the chief of the Vatican's Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, said the conflict "has all the ingredients to explode into a war of global dimensions.
"The solution to Syria's problems is not in armed intervention. Violence will not decrease and there is a risk of a conflagration that extends to other countries," Toso told Vatican radio.

Syria Conflict Could Turn into another World War, Warns Vatican - IBTimes UK

So, the Vatican is concerned about an attack on Syria causing another world war. Are they overreacting? Do they know something most others don't know?

Another article in the German daily "Die Welt", a commentary, compares the situation to Serbia 1914:
Militärintervention : Kann der Konflikt in Syrien im Weltkrieg enden? - Nachrichten Debatte - Kommentare - DIE WELT

What do you think?

I think the human creature has a wonderful turn for theatricality.

It's hard to say with any certainty. As much as many people like to bash them, there is a huge amount of knowledge, power, and influence centered there.

World War i believe is a bit bunch. I believe its gonna stay in the Syrian region and border countries of Syria. I dont see this becoming anything close to another "world war".

So, the Vatican is concerned about an attack on Syria causing another world war. Are they overreacting? Do they know something most others don't know?

Another article in the German daily "Die Welt", a commentary, compares the situation to Serbia 1914:
Militärintervention : Kann der Konflikt in Syrien im Weltkrieg enden? - Nachrichten Debatte - Kommentare - DIE WELT

What do you think?

The Vatican consented in silence without consequences to the rape of children by their clergy.
Does the Vatican now consent in silence without consequences that a despot, who is gassing his own people be granted impunity?

The Vatican consented in silence without consequences to the rape of children by their clergy.
Does the Vatican now consent in silence without consequences that a despot, who is gassing his own people be granted impunity?

At least they're consistent..........

Do you think they can consent for the Rebels who used gas and killed Christians all out of anger and when not getting their way. Was it alright for the Rebels to drive over a half million Christians out of Syria? Now drive out some Kurds?

World War i believe is a bit bunch. I believe its gonna stay in the Syrian region and border countries of Syria. I dont see this becoming anything close to another "world war".

What makes it worth that risk??

It's hard to say with any certainty. As much as many people like to bash them, there is a huge amount of knowledge, power, and influence centered there.

You'd think that they wouldn't say something like that without a reason, as they probably know they have a lot of responsibility, since more than a billion people considers everything they say very important and trust them more than their governments. So why should they needlessly scare them like that?

I don't think so. The potential losses that would stem from Military action on the part of Syria's primary allies far outweigh the benefits at the moment. Iran will likely hesitate to stick their necks out for Assad and potentially jeapordize the opportunity to become a nuclear power, while China's priorities and actual military capability, despite their likely global aspirations, lie within their own region. Russia entering a conflict with such a sparse number and quality of allies would be highly unlikely to say the least.

I'm sorry. Regional or world war. What makes it worth the risk?

What do you mean what makes it worth the risk? Im against the US getting involved at all. The only people that should be involved are the Syrian people themsevles.

Do you think they can consent for the Rebels who used gas and killed Christians all out of anger and when not getting their way. Was it alright for the Rebels to drive over a half million Christians out of Syria? Now drive out some Kurds?

If their not Catholics, then the Vatican will probably help pay for the gas and help hide the loot taken from them. Oh wait, the former Nazi isn't pope anymore, but will it really make a difference?

If their not Catholics, then the Vatican will probably help pay for the gas and help hide the loot taken from them. Oh wait, the former Nazi isn't pope anymore, but will it really make a difference?

Heya DV. :2wave: Well the UN has come out now saying that military action over this issue would only be in defense, and thinks this can lead to more conflict outside Syria. So the Pope is in accordance with them as well.

What do you mean what makes it worth the risk? Im against the US getting involved at all. The only people that should be involved are the Syrian people themsevles.

Oh ok cool. Apparently I misunderstood you. My apologies.

What's ultimately responsible for the Syrian war? The Arab Spring? Colonialism? The Sunni-Shiite rift?

What's ultimately responsible for the Syrian war? The Arab Spring? Colonialism? The Sunni-Shiite rift?

A long standing goal of US foreign policy for regime change.

It's a proxy war fueled by Russia and Iran on one side, and the US, Saudi Arabia and Qatar on the other.

Russia has its largest and only marine base outside its territory in Syria and thus supports Assad. The West/the pro-Western gulf states support the rebels. America wants to push Russia out of the ME, because they consider them a strategic enemy that must be rolled back.

Oh ok cool. Apparently I misunderstood you. My apologies.

A mixture. The arab spring when the protests first srated, the assad regime taking a stiff stand against the protest, the rebels themselves taking up arms, a foregin influx of fighters, US and neighboring anti Assad governments supporting the rebels.

The MB and the Salafists used the Arab Spring to demand the release of Political Prisoners. Then staged protests in Deraa and Damascus.

As usual it goes back to Assad's Father's Days and while he ruled. Anything concerning the MB always deals in revenge.

2011 March - Protests in Damascus and the southern city of Deraa demand the release of political prisoners. Security forces shoot a number of people dead in Deraa, triggering days of violent unrest that steadily spread nationwide over the following months.

The government announces some conciliatory measures in an attempt to damp down unrest. . President Assad releases dozens of political prisoners and dismisses the government, and in April lifts the 48-year-old state of emergency. However, he accuses protesters of being Israeli agents.

2011 May - Army tanks enter Deraa, Banyas, Homs and suburbs of Damascus in an effort to crush anti-regime protests. US and European Union tighten sanctions. President Assad announces amnesty for political prisoners.

2011 June - The government says that 120 members of the security forces have been killed by "armed gangs" in the northwestern town of Jisr al-Shughour. Troops besiege the town and more than 10,000 people flee to Turkey. President Assad pledges to start a "national dialogue" on reform.

2011 June - The IAEA nuclear watchdog decides to report Syria to the UN Security Council over its alleged covert nuclear programme reactor programme. The structure housing

Opposition organises
2011 July - President Assad sacks the governor of the northern province of Hama after mass demonstration there, eventually sending in troops to restore order at the cost of scores of lives. Opposition activists meet in Istanbul to form a unified opposition.

2011 October - Newly formed Syrian National Council says it has forged a common front of internal and exiled opposition activists. Russia and China veto UN resolution condemning Syria.

2011 November - Arab League votes to suspend Syria, accusing it of failing to implement an Arab peace plan, and imposes sanctions. Army defectors target a military base near Damascus in the Free Syrian Army's most high-profile attack since protests began. Government supporters attack foreign embassies.

2011 December - Syria agrees to an Arab League initiative allowing Arab observers into the country. Thousand of protesters gather in Homs to greet them, but the League suspends its mission in January because of worsening violence.

Twin suicide bombs outside security buildings in Damascus kill 44, the first in a series of large blasts in the the capital that continue into the following summer. Opposition accuses government of staging these and subsequent attacks.....snip~

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14703995

Last edited:

What do you think?

They're looking at current event, as measured against history, like some of the rest of us are.

More mishandling by Obama and WW3 is exactly what we could end up with.

They're looking at current event, as measured against history, like some of the rest of us are.

More mishandling by Obama and WW3 is exactly what we could end up with.

Maybe I'm just worrying too much, but I am afraid you are right. Although I don't think this is an "Obama vs. Republicans" thing. Bush started this policy with full force, and Obama just continues it. Blueprint is the "Project for a New American Century".

Maybe I'm just worrying too much, but I am afraid you are right. Although I don't think this is an "Obama vs. Republicans" thing. Bush started this policy with full force, and Obama just continues it. Blueprint is the "Project for a New American Century".

You've got that right PNAC.

Back
Top Bottom