• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Syria bans full Islamic face veils at universities

Good for Syria. It seems to be a popular thing to do. Now if they could find the testicular fortitude to ban the satanic quran that would really be something.

Now if people would ban Satanic Hate such as yourself, the world would be a better place. Be gone devil.

It is ironic, that people like you (who claim that Islam is full of hate) hate a religion with soo much more hate and intolerance.

Last edited:
I think these bans are a gross infringement on a woman's rights. I can see banning them in certain places where security is an issue -- like banks, currency exchanges and the like. But to ban a woman's religious symbol for any other reason but security is just, well, wrong. Don't get too excited, Sgt, it won't be happening in the USA.

Good for Syria. It seems to be a popular thing to do. Now if they could find the testicular fortitude to ban the satanic quran that would really be something.

Syria bans full Islamic face veils at universities - Yahoo! News

They were wrong to ban the face veils. It's an infringement on women's rights. Not only that but it reduces cultural freedom and religious freedom (as some wear it for religious reasons). I highly doubt they will ban the Koran too, nor should they. Syria is 90% Muslim, and it would be a horrid infringement on people's freedom of religion to ban the Koran.

Moderator's Warning:
A thread ban has been issued for TheNextEra for violation of martial law.

:roll: Lovely. The girls who refuse to take it off won't be able to go to university anymore. That's a good thing, right? Right? Who needs an education anyhoo?

Even were I to accept the premise that the Qur'an is Satanic, which I most certainly do not, I would find myself obligated to ask which is more Satanic:
  • The Qur'an
  • Blind hatred of Islam

TED,
Pretty sure that the answer is obvious to reasonable people.

Oh why am I not surprised it is you Sgt that is posting another thread about Islam.
Taken a break from burning Qu'ran's and hating on Muslims?

Oh and on topic.
The law will not last, especially in a Muslim majority country if a fuss is kicked up.
This is as wrong as France banning the burka.

:roll: Lovely. The girls who refuse to take it off won't be able to go to university anymore. That's a good thing, right? Right? Who needs an education anyhoo?

Don't many believe the veil oppresses women and that is their reason for banning it? I find it hypocritical that they would deny women an education for choosing to wear the face veil. Their "improvement" of womens rights only further harms women by restricting their freedom to wear the veil and denying them a college education for choosing to wear one.

Don't many believe the veil oppresses women and that is their reason for banning it? I find it hypocritical that they would deny women an education for choosing to wear the face veil. Their "improvement" of womens rights only further harms women by restricting their freedom to wear the veil and denying them a college education for choosing to wear one.

I know, right?

The article also kinda debunks the myth of the oppressed, uneducated Muslim woman being forced to wear face covering veils, stay home and do her husband's bidding. The women in the article don't sound either oppressed or uneducated to me.

Looking at the issue as an outsider, and not intimately involved in the situation, maybe this is some type of attempt at separating church and state in a manner of speaking. I have a couple of casual friends who are from Syria, and they are highly educated, reasonable, and while they practice Islam, they are fairly secular in certain respects. I don't know if this is typical of Syrians living in Syria, but perhaps this is really more of a progressive move in government and separating religion from higher education rather than an attempt to stifle women's rights. Just a thought. Not everyone in the ME is a Muslim fundie.

Syria bans full Islamic face veils at universities - Yahoo! News

You do understand that Syria is arguebly one of the most secular countries in the Middle East no?

You do understand that Syria literally flattened an entire city to quell an Islamic revolt no?

If Syria didn't export its terrorists, they'd be one of our best buddies. In many ways, Syria is far more draconian to Islam then we were in our darkest days in Iraq.

They were wrong to ban the face veils.

It's hardly the worst thing the Druze Syrian Elite have done to Muslims.

It's an infringement on women's rights. Not only that but it reduces cultural freedom and religious freedom (as some wear it for religious reasons). I highly doubt they will ban the Koran too, nor should they. Syria is 90% Muslim, and it would be a horrid infringement on people's freedom of religion to ban the Koran.

The problem Syria faces is that it as you say, is reducing womens' rights. One of the few countries in the area with a subsantial amount of rights. But at the same time, it is essentially doing what it always has done, suppress radical Islam. Assad is not as bad as his father was to Muslims, but I don't see banning the Koran entirely out of the question. Really unrealistic yes, but I don't put it past him. Or at least putting out a government version.

Hell, if you think what we did to Muslims was bad in Iraq, you ain't seen nothing till you get to Syria.

Even were I to accept the premise that the Qur'an is Satanic, which I most certainly do not, I would find myself obligated to ask which is more Satanic:
  • The Qur'an
  • Blind hatred of Islam

TED,
Pretty sure that the answer is obvious to reasonable people.

Blind hatred of any religion is just plain wrong. That is why I recommend years of hard work and research before forming an opinion on a subject. This is how I came to my conclusion that Islam is evil.

Blind hatred of any religion is just plain wrong. That is why I recommend years of hard work and research before forming an opinion on a subject. This is how I came to my conclusion that Islam is evil.

:lamo

I don't know what you call hard work but I doubt it.
I also doubt you have ever stepped foot in a Mosque let alone "research"

Question.
Does this constitute as "blind hatred"

You have convinced me that my hatred for Islam is justified as is my hatred for the muslim.

The action was taken by the Syrian Higher education minister and will only affect on the students of the Syrian universities.
I find it to be a very well-made decision, considering that universities are culturally a symbol of progress.
Doesn't sit well with a full-body blanket that's meant to show the woman where she belongs, under the authority of the male.

On the same subject, here's a detailed explanation on the "progress" in relation to the female students' clothing in the Cairo university during the years - a very interesting article:

http://frontpagemag.com/2010/02/05/how-the-veil-conquered-cairo-university/

Last edited:

If you really had put in years of hard work and research before forming an opinion on the subject, you would've concluded that Islam is no more evil than any of the other major monotheistic religions.

Has anyone else also wondered why the physicality of a woman has long been considered to be more powerful than that of a man?

Fair enough. Point is Assad and his lackeys aren't Muslim. Probably the #1 reason why Syria has some strong support for secular and minority religious rights

The Alawites are Muslim .

By some and so are the Shi'ites.
But they are still Muslim

"Some" being the majority of the Muslim world, half or an irrelevant part of it?

Back
Top Bottom