• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Syria attack illegal without Security Council approval, UN warns

Russia would veto it so what would be the point in going to the Security Council? IMO if he is going to do it, he should have just done it instead of going looking for political cover or co-conspirators. It feels like he knows this will be a huge mess but wants support so he doesn't get the blame for it. As long as it took him to authorize the assault on Bin Laden it shouldn't be a surprise that he is an unsteady hand on the helm.

Russia would veto it so what would be the point in going to the Security Council? IMO if he is going to do it, he should have just done it instead of going looking for political cover or co-conspirators. It feels like he knows this will be a huge mess but wants support so he doesn't get the blame for it. As long as it took him to authorize the assault on Bin Laden it shouldn't be a surprise that he is an unsteady hand on the helm.

We should be glad if we're able to step back from this abyss and avoid violating both domestic and international law.

We should be glad if we're able to step back from this abyss and avoid violating both domestic and international law.

That is not how it will play out. We will bomb under the pretense this is a limited warning; nothing will change; we will suddenly be told of the further use of chemical weapons, and therefore Assad must go, at which point we will be bombing and arming like a boss; Assad will eventually fall, and the entire country will be teeming with militant Islamists who will be running arms to the West Bank to use against Israel and be carrying out terror throughout Europe and Syria is the geographic keystone between them and the West.

1. It's something which USA itself valuated the most. The balance in voting.
2. Russia always used veto and will always use in every request of USA.
3. If Obama can't be like Bush in making an attack legal even when it is illegal, I don't get why he keep moving on the same track he've been doing wrong all this time.
4. If British & UN didn't support him, they did it for a big reason.

That is not how it will play out. We will bomb under the pretense this is a limited warning; nothing will change; we will suddenly be told of the further use of chemical weapons, and therefore Assad must go, at which point we will be bombing and arming like a boss; Assad will eventually fall, and the entire country will be teeming with militant Islamists who will be running arms to the West Bank to use against Israel and be carrying out terror throughout Europe and Syria is the geographic keystone between them and the West.

"Syria is bombing itsself.. we must intervene by bombing Syria" -- Obama Logic

3. If Obama can't be like Bush in making an attack legal even when it is illegal, I don't get why he keep moving on the same track he've been doing wrong all this time.

I don't support it, but Obama doesn't know how to back-off and save face. He is too far into it. There will be attacks with or without Congressional approval because Obama can never be seen as wrong.

I don't think there will be anything done. Obama will while away the hours. Krauthammer pegged this guy from the start. It's amateur hour in the White House.

He didn't make the attack legal.

Unilateralism is the American way. The double veto of Russia and China prevents any consideration. While I, personally, value the opinions of the UN in general, one must also realize it is a politicized world institution, and as such, it will have its own biases. In a perfect world, UN approval would have been sought, and had that been a real option, I would think President Obama would have done so.

Unilateralism is the American way. The double veto of Russia and China prevents any consideration. While I, personally, value the opinions of the UN in general, one must also realize it is a politicized world institution, and as such, it will have its own biases. In a perfect world, UN approval would have been sought, and had that been a real option, I would think President Obama would have done so.

But it has been sought, repeatedly, including seeking sanctions, no fly zone and authorisation to use military force.

I view the UN as little more than a dog and pony show and think would should have left them a long time ago. That said I think we should stay out of Syria and mind our own business as unamerican as that notion has become.

While I don't support a strike on Syria, I always laugh at the UN flexing its muscles.

I view the UN as little more than a dog and pony show and think would should have left them a long time ago. That said I think we should stay out of Syria and mind our own business as unamerican as that notion has become.

So long as we remain members of the club...................

Back
Top Bottom