• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Syria: Assad regime responsible for eight massacres, rebels one, UN says

Ben K.

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
[h=2]At least eight massacres have been perpetrated by Bashar al-Assad's regime and supporters in Syria, with one carried out by rebels over the past 18 months, according to the UN.[/h]Calling Syria a battlefield where armed forces are getting away with large-scale murder, the UN commission investigating human rights abuses in Syria said that in each of the incidents since April 2012 "the intentional mass killing and identity of the perpetrator were confirmed to the commission's evidentiary standards."

Its latest report also notes that the four-member commission is probing nine more suspected mass killings since March. With those, it said, the illegal killing was confirmed but the perpetrator could not yet be identified. In other cases, it said, the circumstances of the killing were not sufficiently clear to be able to determine the legality.

Syria: Assad regime responsible for eight massacres, rebels one, UN says - Telegraph

The UN, reporting massacres like a soccer match score.

I figure:

20k Rebel militants killed
30k Assad forces killed
60k non-combatant/civilians killed, most of that by Assad's forces (~50k)

Syria: Assad regime responsible for eight massacres, rebels one, UN says - Telegraph

The UN, reporting massacres like a soccer match score.[/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

It's war, 100,000 have been killed. Both sides are the bad guys. Been going on for a long time.

My best guess is that both sides have killed a lot of people with whatever means they have at their disposal.

Meantime, the world leaders seem to have focused on one incident and have come up with a face saving solution which fixes nothing.

Well, that calls for an unbelievably small response!

It's war, 100,000 have been killed. Both sides are the bad guys. Been going on for a long time.

My best guess is that both sides have killed a lot of people with whatever means they have at their disposal.

Meantime, the world leaders seem to have focused on one incident and have come up with a face saving solution which fixes nothing.

Very rarely does a conflict involve a good side that people seem to expect, in which one avoids civilian massacres while the other freely engages in them.

The UN findings would seem to indicate that Assad has less regard for human life than the "jihadists" we're supposed to worry may take over.

Very rarely does a conflict involve a good side that people seem to expect, in which one avoids civilian massacres while the other freely engages in them.

The UN findings would seem to indicate that Assad has less regard for human life than the "jihadists" we're supposed to worry may take over.

Agreed. I don't believe the UN findings since all the uncovered massacres seem to be one sided. I doubt that is the case.

Agreed. I don't believe the UN findings since all the uncovered massacres seem to be one sided. I doubt that is the case.

If it wasn't one-sided, it wouldn't be a massacre.

If it wasn't one-sided, it wouldn't be a massacre.

Massacres, not massacre. The UN came up with 8 (?) massacres, all committed by the same side. Seems suspect to me.

Massacres, not massacre. The UN came up with 8 (?) massacres, all committed by the same side. Seems suspect to me.

At least read a little, we're only on the 10th post.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

That seems to be a pretty correct analysis of the way the UN feels about war. This is not a sports match. There are no rules in real war. They are trying to figure out if killing were illegal and if they should call foul on one side or the other. Maybe there might be a penalty on one of the teams if they find out that a civilian was killed in the wrong way in the middle of a country that is killing each other. The UN should get it through their head. Either go in and enforce peace with overwhelming force, or get the hell out of the way. There are no refs in war. It is a war and you are fighting for your life. Brutality may suck in the minds of the armchair refs thousands of miles away, but in the middle of a war it is pretty much a skill that helps you win. If you want to win the war you do what it takes.

No matter how many times I hear of some group trying to officiate a war it always comes off as really stupid and clueless.

I figure:

20k Rebel militants killed
30k Assad forces killed
60k non-combatant/civilians killed, most of that by Assad's forces (~50k)

They're a bunch of pikers.

How many were killed in our own civil war?

Is there some compelling reason I should believe anything the UN says?

There's many other reports, many of them discussed on this board ad nausium of the Islamic extremist massacres.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Seems to me Assad would be responsible for more massacres. He has an air force. How come USA never gets offended when it creates collateral damage, but gets all spooled up when Assad or Al Qaeda make some? It's like "pot meet kettle". I think countries with no dog in the hunt should worry about their own internal issues and let the Arab League sort this one out. This seriously reminds me of something I have to say to my kids all the time: "If it's not important to you, it's not important to me".

How many were killed in our own civil war?

North lost 365K and South lost 260K. There were also 400K wounded. So call it roughly a million dead or wounded; about a tenth of what happened so far in Syria.

Back
Top Bottom