• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sympathy for the devils

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
trump supporters deserve to be more criticized than they are. But, because in many cases they are duped, because they think they are being patriotic, doing good things, defending the country, and so on, in other words despite their huge negligence falling for lies and some bad views they hold, they are more misguided than intentionally harmful, there's something tragic about them.

If trump had somehow used crime and force to overturn the election and stay in office, Democrats might look a lot like some of the trump supporters, calling for resistance to save the country, some might even try violence out of frustration, and they'd be the ones getting killed and arrested and shunned by the whole country as traitors, while trump basked claiming he was legitimate.

We see a lot of them paying a heavy price. The pillow guy just seeing his products being dropped from stores, many facing long jail sentences for listening to trump to charge the capitol, at least one killed. In their minds, that price is a noble sacrifice for their country, and as wrong as that is, it is very sad to see people who think that getting hurt so much.

I mean, it's almost nothing compared to, say, how much harm was caused by people falling under Hitler's spell, but the point is similar.

People tend to want to dehumanize opponents, and some of the worse trump supporters are especially terrible. But I find it more sad how many people are so hurt by being gullible.

I guess I would also say that as completely wrong supporters of slavery were, there is some room for some sympathy for southerners who felt they were under tyranny and wanted to secede for that reason. They had some things in common with our colonists who declared independence from England.

It's possible to be very against a lot about someone and yet have some sympathy also, and probably important to do so.

That doesn't mean not opposing them just as much if needed, but it's a better understanding of them.

Wars often are similarly tragic - people killing other people for bad reasons, whether it's because a corrupt force is trying to get things for itself, or things like people who want independence against people who want to protect their country from being weakened by losing part. You might find sympathy for each, and it's sad the harm as war is used to settle it.

Rather than just saying, 'look at those horrible people rioting', say 'look at the harm from the lies being told by corrupt Republican leaders for their own benefit'.

I think sad is more important than hate for this.

Which doesn't mean, don't hate the racism, fascism, or other things involved.

But there's more to it, and you can fight them while also having some sympathy for the 'devils'.

After WWII, FDR wanted to destroy all of Germany's industry and only farming. But I think we're glad there was a road to redemption for them; only 15 years later, US presidents were going to the nuclear brink to protect Germans in Berlin who we were killing en masse that recently.

We're much better off whenever we can help trump cult victims out of the cult, than things like just defeating or arresting them, as much as that is needed at times. You can care about trump cult victims while opposing them. Want to help them as well as prevent them causing harm. That doesn't mean making bad 'compromises'.

Even in our revolutionary war, only a third of the colonists supported rebelling, a third opposed - popular understanding of history re-writes that as simply, 'the colonists rebelled' but it's not right. There are some things in common with these divisions. If a minuteman had to shoot a fellow colonist who was a loyalist in the war, it didn't mean it wasn't tragic.

You also want to see the same from them for their fellow Americans they disagree with, not people like the guy at the riot who said there's only one answer, killing his opponents.

trump supporters deserve to be more criticized than they are. But, because in many cases they are duped, because they think they are being patriotic, doing good things, defending the country, and so on, in other words despite their huge negligence falling for lies and some bad views they hold, they are more misguided than intentionally harmful, there's something tragic about them.

If trump had somehow used crime and force to overturn the election and stay in office, Democrats might look a lot like some of the trump supporters, calling for resistance to save the country, some might even try violence out of frustration, and they'd be the ones getting killed and arrested and shunned by the whole country as traitors, while trump basked claiming he was legitimate.

We see a lot of them paying a heavy price. The pillow guy just seeing his products being dropped from stores, many facing long jail sentences for listening to trump to charge the capitol, at least one killed. In their minds, that price is a noble sacrifice for their country, and as wrong as that is, it is very sad to see people who think that getting hurt so much.

I mean, it's almost nothing compared to, say, how much harm was caused by people falling under Hitler's spell, but the point is similar.

People tend to want to dehumanize opponents, and some of the worse trump supporters are especially terrible. But I find it more sad how many people are so hurt by being gullible.

I guess I would also say that as completely wrong supporters of slavery were, there is some room for some sympathy for southerners who felt they were under tyranny and wanted to secede for that reason. They had some things in common with our colonists who declared independence from England.

It's possible to be very against a lot about someone and yet have some sympathy also, and probably important to do so.

That doesn't mean not opposing them just as much if needed, but it's a better understanding of them.

Wars often are similarly tragic - people killing other people for bad reasons, whether it's because a corrupt force is trying to get things for itself, or things like people who want independence against people who want to protect their country from being weakened by losing part. You might find sympathy for each, and it's sad the harm as war is used to settle it.

Rather than just saying, 'look at those horrible people rioting', say 'look at the harm from the lies being told by corrupt Republican leaders for their own benefit'.

But there's more to it, and you can fight them while also having some sympathy for the 'devils'.

After WWII, FDR wanted to destroy all of Germany's industry and only farming. But I think we're glad there was a road to redemption for them; only 15 years later, US presidents were going to the nuclear brink to protect Germans in Berlin who we were killing en masse that recently.

We're much better off whenever we can help trump cult victims out of the cult, than things like just defeating or arresting them, as much as that is needed at times. You can care about trump cult victims while opposing them. Want to help them as well as prevent them causing harm. That doesn't mean making bad 'compromises'.

Even in our revolutionary war, only a third of the colonists supported rebelling, a third opposed - popular understanding of history re-writes that as simply, 'the colonists rebelled' but it's not right. There are some things in common with these divisions. If a minuteman had to shoot a fellow colonist who was a loyalist in the war, it didn't mean it wasn't tragic.

You also want to see the same from them for their fellow Americans they disagree with, not people like the guy at the riot who said there's only one answer, killing his opponents.
Agreed. It doesn't mean they don't need to snap out of it, because they do. But I feel the same. I've been reading too many stories of good, hard working decent people falling for this and ruining their lives.

We just has to agree that we are al humans and not al sides off us are good ones.

Liberals do hide their racism much better than these radical/racist Trumpist's that you speak of.

After 100 years, African American are finally growing tired of the crime ridden, violent, and segregated northern liberal run cities/states and moving south for better job opportunities and slower pace of living.

Blacks are welcome in places like Virginia Beach and Myrtle Beach, but on Cape Cod........not so much.

But anyways, keep on with keeping on with trash like this. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Criminy. Everything you said is backwards. You leftists are the ones who have been duped by your Marxist leaders. Your side is the one who had nightly coordinated riots that killed 25 people in 2020. How sad and pathetic it is that the minority was able to steal the election with the help of its media, and is able to push this false narrative that's being snapped up by the gullible.

After 100 years, African American are finally growing tired of the crime ridden, violent, and segregated northern liberal run cities/states and moving south for better job opportunities and slower pace of living.

Blacks are welcome in places like Virginia Beach and Myrtle Beach, but on Cape Cod........not so much.

Really? Let's check...

While Myrtle Beach officials praised a drop in their violent crime rate, the data shows the city ranks last compared to other popular beach towns.

A review of FBI and U.S. Census data shows the violent crime rate in Myrtle Beach outpaces places like Virginia Beach, Virginia and Daytona Beach, Florida. It even surpasses places like Chicago.

Link

"Thanks anyway RetiredUSN, but we're safer up here." -Chicago Blacks

Back
Top Bottom