• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sympathy for Gov't Workers Hits GOP

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Five GOPers are currently calling for end to gov't shutdown:
Collins
Tillis
Alexander
Gardner
Roberts

These people work for the gov't and they spend most of their time surrounded by gov't people. TSA workers are leaving their jobs, Parks are filling with garbage, refund checks will be affected. Will the shutdown remind conservatives why the gov't is important???

Collins
Tillis
Alexander
Gardner
Roberts

These people work for the gov't and they spend most of their time surrounded by gov't people. TSA workers are leaving their jobs, Parks are filling with garbage, refund checks will be affected. Will the shutdown remind conservatives why the gov't is important???

The shutdown should end and government workers need to be paid but the fact that necessary work isn’t being done isn’t an argument that the government needs to do the work instead of contracting it out.

Collins
Tillis
Alexander
Gardner
Roberts

Bold: Ironic statement considering one of THE MAIN functions of the federal government is to secure our borders and this shutdown is exactly about securing our borders. People may disagree on how that should be done, but nonetheless, the reason for the government shutdown is because of the main function of the federal government.

Bold: Ironic statement considering one of THE MAIN functions of the federal government is to secure our borders and this shutdown is exactly about securing our borders. People may disagree on how that should be done, but nonetheless, the reason for the government shutdown is because of the main function of the federal government.

Oh yeah the TSA plays no part in that whatsoever. :roll:

Collins
Tillis
Alexander
Gardner
Roberts

The same thing happens every couple of years with Republicans. They whip themselves into a frenzy hating the government and blaming it for all these problems. They assume it's only Liberals that like the government and want the government so they figure if they shut it down entirely it will be liberals that suffer. Liberals that feel bad, and that their bleeding hearts will make them cave to Republican demands for whatever dumb thing they want this time.

Every year it turns out the same. As soon as it becomes readily apparent that the government actually hurts conservatives as much if not more so than Dems and that the American people are blaming Republicans for the shut down they're forced to cave every time.

Collins
Tillis
Alexander
Gardner
Roberts

These people work for the gov't and they spend most of their time surrounded by gov't people.

I agree. And I think that has the danger of breeding a certain form of disconnect in which Congressmen and Congresswomen start looking at government bureaucrats and agents in Washington D.C. as their constituents, rather than their home states. It's why I think Senators and Representatives should spend most of the year in their home states among their constituents and addressing their concerns directly.

TSA workers are leaving their jobs, Parks are filling with garbage, refund checks will be affected. Will the shutdown remind conservatives why the gov't is important???

Why is the government important to you, NeverTrumpGOP? Because to me, just to put my cards out on the table, the most important functions government fulfills are (1) safeguarding the nation through the use of the military and other security services, and (2) safeguarding individual rights through Courts of Law. Everything else, while nice, is so much window dressing.

Also ironic... shutting the government down, includes border patrol. Kinda like ****ing for virginity, eh?

Why is the government important to you, NeverTrumpGOP? Because to me, just to put my cards out on the table, the most important functions government fulfills are (1) safeguarding the nation through the use of the military, and (2) safeguarding individual rights through Courts of Law. Everything else, while nice, is so much window dressing.

The TSA is currently not doing that thanks to the shutdown.

Courts also run out of money this week.

The TSA is currently not doing that thanks to the shutdown.

I realize that this may sound sacrilegious, but I simply do not think the TSA was ever particularly important when it came safeguarding the American people. Air Marshalls, certainly to prevent hijackings. But TSA agents forcing the elderly to take off their shoes and go through denuding bodyscanners? I am singularly unimpressed by this colossal and showy waste of taxpayer money to treat people flying as though they are criminals. Perhaps next the TSA will fit everyone leaving an American airliner with an ankle monitor to check their whereabouts to make sure they are congregating with potential terrorists or starting their own terror organizations.

Collins
Tillis
Alexander
Gardner
Roberts

Then it's time they stood up to Trump and McConnell.

I realize that this may sound sacrilegious, but I simply do not think the TSA was ever particularly important when it came safeguarding the American people. Air Marshalls, certainly to prevent hijackings. But TSA agents forcing the elderly to take off their shoes and go through denuding bodyscanners? I am singularly unimpressed by this colossal and showy waste of taxpayer money to treat people flying as though they are criminals. Perhaps next the TSA will fit everyone leaving an American airliner with an ankle monitor to check their whereabouts to make sure they are congregating with potential terrorists or starting their own terror organizations.

Do you think the TSA is the ONLY way to protect our borders?

Besides for Trumps military border stunt which did nothing, it's one of the only ways.

I bet 18 years ago you were both supporting it's creation.

Collins
Tillis
Alexander
Gardner
Roberts

Collins and Gardner will likely be voted out in 2020, so they need to do all they can to keep their job. Roberts is retiring. Would be interesting to find out the motive of the other two.

Also ironic... shutting the government down, includes border patrol. Kinda like ****ing for virginity, eh?

Incorrect.

Government shutdown could force border patrol to work for no pay

Democrats on the Senate Appropriations Committee compiled data on who would and wouldn’t keep working, and get paid – or not. More than 420,000 federal employees deemed essential would continue to work, but without pay, the Associated Press reported. Though they would all get reimbursed once the government reopens, they would have to muddle their way through the last three days before Christmas with no income, AP noted.

Among them are about 41,000 law enforcement and corrections officers and almost 150,000 Homeland Security employees, plus about 53,000 TSA workers, 54,000 Customs and Border Protection agents and officers, and 42,000 Coast Guard employees, the AP said. In addition, up to 5,000 Forest Service firefighters and 3,600 National Weather Service employees would continue working and be reimbursed once the government comes back online.

https://www.livingstonintl.com/what...at the border when the government shuts down?

CBP during the 2013 government shutdown
During the October 2013 shutdown, most Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) employees, for example, remained on the job, since the agency is considered essential. The San Diego Reader noted that 52,673 of the CBP's 59,561 employees were expected to remain on duty through the shutdown. The agency now notes that it has over 60,000 employees, and if the expected shutdown at the end of the month is anything like the previous one, then the majority of the CBP's staff will remain on duty.

And to back up the above link a bit for what happened during the 2013 shutdown:

Border Patrol Vigilant During Shutdown

TUCSON, ARIZ.—Tucson Sector Border Patrol continued its mission to secure the nation's borders by seizing nearly $4 million in marijuana during the federal government shutdown.

Flatbed pickup truck conceals marijuana within cinder block.

Flatbed pickup truck conceals marijuana within cinder block.

Criminal organizations attempting to challenge and exploit the nation's borders during this time were met with an even stronger stance by the Tucson Sector Border Patrol. During the 16-day period of the partial government shutdown, agents seized more than 7,000 pounds of marijuana, 10 smuggling vehicles, and illegal contraband in multiple incidents.

Last week, Tucson Sector Border Patrol was responsible for two separate marijuana seizures in excess of 1,800 pounds each. The seizures occurred on consecutive days near Tat Momoli, Ariz.

Besides for Trumps military border stunt which did nothing, it's one of the only ways.

I bet 18 years ago you were both supporting it's creation.

Actually I don't mind TSA working at international airports. They shouldn't be used for airports that do not travel internationally however.

Collins and Gardner will likely be voted out in 2020, so they need to do all they can to keep their job. Roberts is retiring. Would be interesting to find out the motive of the other two.

Lamar Alexander (78) announced a month ago he's not running for re-election in 2020 and has since then become quite "vocal" in the media ... like Corker and Flake. (grin)

how long do you think people will continue to work without pay? Don't you think people will just quit and find new jobs?

Working for the government is lucrative. Doubt many will quit any time soon. Especially considering that once the government starts back up again they'll get reimbursed for the time that they worked. Which means a huge paycheck will be coming. Not to mention all the benefits such as their health insurance etc etc. No, they won't be quitting any time soon. Some may find a temp job to help keep up the bills. But for the most part, no, I don't think that many, if any, will simply just quit.

Actually I don't mind TSA working at international airports. They shouldn't be used for airports that do not travel internationally however.

The 9/11 terror crews "borrowed" domestic cross country flights - they simply wanted aircraft with full fuel tanks.

The 9/11 terror crews "borrowed" domestic cross country flights - they simply wanted aircraft with full fuel tanks.

Regulations on airport security could simply have been tightened for domestic flights.

Working for the government is lucrative. Doubt many will quit any time soon. Especially considering that once the government starts back up again they'll get reimbursed for the time that they worked. Which means a huge paycheck will be coming. Not to mention all the benefits such as their health insurance etc etc. No, they won't be quitting any time soon. Some may find a temp job to help keep up the bills. But for the most part, no, I don't think that many, if any, will simply just quit.

I think it depends on if they have savings to burn through. If they don't have savings, then they're kinda ****ed. They may be reimbursed but, the government isn't going to pay the interest on everything they're putting on their CC. So, they're still getting a raw deal.

I think it depends on if they have savings to burn through. If they don't have savings, then they're kinda ****ed. They may be reimbursed but, the government isn't going to pay the interest on everything they're putting on their CC. So, they're still getting a raw deal.

If they don't have any savings then their idiots that shouldn't be working for the government to begin with. :/

But that aside, the last time the government shut down the government got sued and had to pay out, iirc, twice the amount owed in back pay. That is happening again, and I have no problem with it, and it should cover any interest accrued from their CC's.

Back
Top Bottom