• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sympathy for Gov't Workers Hits GOP

Now ask yourself what would happen if that was a real explosive and the person a real bomb maker.

An airplane does not fall out of the sky?

An airplane does not fall out of the sky?

And the explosive shampoo blows up by the TSA station killing lots of people and the would be bomb maker goes off to make another bomb.

If the TSA seriously thought your shampoo was a bomb you’d expect they would not throw it in the trash. Nor would they let the putative bomb maker just get on the damned plane.

They are either unconscionably inept or know you’re not carrying a explosive. In either case it’s a waste of our money.

Last edited:
Bold: Ironic statement considering one of THE MAIN functions of the federal government is to secure our borders and this shutdown is exactly about securing our borders. People may disagree on how that should be done, but nonetheless, the reason for the government shutdown is because of the main function of the federal government.

The government funding bills (6+1) passed unanimously (100-0) by the Senate on December 19 included $1.6 Billion for securing the border.

This particular shutdown isn't about securing the border. It's all about Trump keeping a campaign political promise to his base.

Working for the government is lucrative. Doubt many will quit any time soon. Especially considering that once the government starts back up again they'll get reimbursed for the time that they worked. Which means a huge paycheck will be coming. Not to mention all the benefits such as their health insurance etc etc. No, they won't be quitting any time soon. Some may find a temp job to help keep up the bills. But for the most part, no, I don't think that many, if any, will simply just quit.

Yeah sure 30k a year is lucrative. It's some ****ed up **** to think everyone is okey dokey. There are a lot of people making 30-60k a year that's hardly a big paycheck.

The government funding bills (6+1) passed unanimously (100-0) by the Senate on December 19 included $1.6 Billion for securing the border.

And all that is for is upkeep. It adds nothing to actually securing the border beyond what was already there.

This particular shutdown isn't about securing the border. It's all about Trump keeping a campaign political promise to his base.

IYO.

Yeah sure 30k a year is lucrative. It's some ****ed up **** to think everyone is okey dokey. There are a lot of people making 30-60k a year that's hardly a big paycheck.

Federal government employee pay has been increasing steadily for years and for many jobs now rival or exceed what similar positions pay in the private sector. Along with that comes significantly more job stability.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52637

Federal government employee pay has been increasing steadily for years and for many jobs now rival or exceed what similar positions pay in the private sector. Along with that comes significantly more job stability.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52637

I'm not denying that's true...but TSA is not a big bang for the buck job so telling people that are not making the median us income to adjust is not okay in my book.

Five GOPers are currently calling for end to gov't shutdown:
Collins
Tillis
Alexander
Gardner
Roberts

These people work for the gov't and they spend most of their time surrounded by gov't people. TSA workers are leaving their jobs, Parks are filling with garbage, refund checks will be affected. Will the shutdown remind conservatives why the gov't is important???

You need more than that to end the shutdown. YOu need veto proof... and mcconnel to bring someone there to send a bill to Trump

If they don't have any savings then their idiots that shouldn't be working for the government to begin with. :/

But that aside, the last time the government shut down the government got sued and had to pay out, iirc, twice the amount owed in back pay. That is happening again, and I have no problem with it, and it should cover any interest accrued from their CC's.

You are assuming that the government is paying them enough to not live pay check to pay check. That is not a very good assumption.

If they don't have any savings then their idiots that shouldn't be working for the government to begin with. :/

But that aside, the last time the government shut down the government got sued and had to pay out, iirc, twice the amount owed in back pay. That is happening again, and I have no problem with it, and it should cover any interest accrued from their CC's.

I expect that many American workers do not have enough savings to live through a prolonged shut down.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0i10.xfJRWkNuYQ8

I lived through a couple of the "shutdowns". News to me that we were paid "twice the amount owed in back pay." So unless you can provide a source to back that up you are not telling the truth. What we got paid was for the missed time.

I expect that many American workers do not have enough savings to live through a prolonged shut down.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0i10.xfJRWkNuYQ8

I lived through a couple of the "shutdowns". News to me that we were paid "twice the amount owed in back pay." So unless you can provide a source to back that up you are not telling the truth. What we got paid was for the missed time.

Her firm sued the government during a 16-day shutdown in 2013 over the funding for President Barack Obama’s health-care law, arguing that failure to pay federal workers on their regularly scheduled payday violated the Fair Labor Standards Act. The court agreed, holding that employees needed to know when they would receive their paychecks, and ordered the government to pay double the amount owed them. There are 25,000 employees still waiting to receive those damages.

‘Nothing short of inhumane’: Union sues Trump administration over shutdown

You are assuming that the government is paying them enough to not live pay check to pay check. That is not a very good assumption.

30k-60k is what the average government worker gets paid. If I live paycheck to paycheck on less than that then they should not be living paycheck to paycheck. If they are then they are not spending and saving money wisely.

I'm not denying that's true...but TSA is not a big bang for the buck job so telling people that are not making the median us income to adjust is not okay in my book.

I agree. Most of those people (probably most people in the country) are living paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to miss a paycheck even with the government making it up once the shutdown is over. There's probably very little anyone in that position can do to adjust. A landlord might wait - but he has bills to pay too - and a mortgage company probably won't really complain until you're more than 30 days past due, but you can't buy groceries or gas on promises.

No idea what a TSA person makes but I'd be willing to be it's more than an similarly skilled private sector unarmed security guard makes. That's really the only point I was making.

30k-60k is what the average government worker gets paid. If I live paycheck to paycheck on less than that then they should not be living paycheck to paycheck. If they are then they are not spending and saving money wisely.

I think your assumption that they're spending and saving wisely is unwarranted since, from what I read, much of the population lives paycheck to paycheck.

Back
Top Bottom