• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SYG Legal For Protecting Your Dog, Too.

SMTA

Tsuyo Ketsu no Anna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Man acquitted in dog park shooting | Cincinnati - WLWT Home

Robert Marx, 74, was charged with criminal damaging, endangering and discharging a firearm in city limits after witnesses said he shot a dog that attacked his own at Doris Day Dog Park.

Marx testified that he was unable to pull the animal apart, and he said a stun gun didn't stop the attack, so he fired the handgun he was legally permitted to carry.

Judge Bernie Bouchard acquitted Marx on Monday, saying the shooting was justified.

"To see him testify to watch his demeanor, I think Judge Bouchard got a good idea of what he was about, and he's not a man who's going to go shooting off a gun if he doesn't have a valid reason to do it," said defense attorney Mike Allen.

Allen said he will file paperwork to have Marx's concealed carry permit returned to him.

Just as it should be.

Beware dog haters! :mrgreen:

Its shameful they charged the man and he had to visit the judge / hire a lawyer.

Good. I would have shot the mutt, too.
Me too. Dogs can be a weapon, too. I've heard that insurance companies will raise their rates on your property if they know you own an attack dog. Some won't even insure you.

Me too. Dogs can be a weapon, too. I've heard that insurance companies will raise their rates on your property if they know you own an attack dog. Some won't even insure you.

What qualifies as an "attack dog" to them? I'm thinking about getting a German shepherd.

Actually, I'd say he never should have been charged, but the outcome was correct. I can't count the number of times police here have shot and killed a dog that was on the loose and attacking other dogs. I guess Eric Holder would want everyone, including the other dogs, to run for cover and call for help while the dog rips the other dog to pieces.

And just a note - Que, sera sera - it was in Doris Day Dog Park, after all.

What qualifies as an "attack dog" to them? I'm thinking about getting a German shepherd.
I think its mostly large dogs with a bad reputation for temper and/or attacking people ie: pitbulls, mastiffs, St. Bernards, dalmations, etc. Or it could be just all large dogs...it's a been a few years since I read about it so it would require research to know for sure. And too, different insurance companies might have different criteria. But there might be a discount if your dog is properly trained, not sure. I lived in So. California when i read about it so things might be different now or elsewhere.

Actually, I'd say he never should have been charged, but the outcome was correct. I can't count the number of times police here have shot and killed a dog that was on the loose and attacking other dogs. I guess Eric Holder would want everyone, including the other dogs, to run for cover and call for help while the dog rips the other dog to pieces.

And just a note - Que, sera sera - it was in Doris Day Dog Park, after all.

You got that right!

I was at a trail head one time and someone coming out had a dog that attacked mine. I got it off by kicking it in the guts but if I would have had a gun I'd have used it. Even after I got the dog off I wanted to use a gun on it and or its owner. If your dog attacks other dogs keep it on a f****** leash.

I was at a trail head one time and someone coming out had a dog that attacked mine. I got it off by kicking it in the guts but if I would have had a gun I'd have used it. Even after I got the dog off I wanted to use a gun on it and or its owner. If your dog attacks other dogs keep it on a f****** leash.

Amen!!!

I think its mostly large dogs with a bad reputation for temper and/or attacking people ie: pitbulls, mastiffs, St. Bernards, dalmations, etc. Or it could be just all large dogs...it's a been a few years since I read about it so it would require research to know for sure. And too, different insurance companies might have different criteria. But there might be a discount if your dog is properly trained, not sure. I lived in So. California when i read about it so things might be different now or elsewhere.

Other than pitbulls, small dogs are usually the biters, not the large ones.

The more popular the breed, the greater the bite numbers simply based on more dogs existing, though.

Large dogs generally use their size to intimidate, not their teeth.

that appears to be based on the harm the dog can do if it goes bad vs the number of bites. Poodles bite far more than say Rottweilers but if a Rott goes bad it can kill

A bigger dog can do a lot more damage, thats for sure.

A bigger dog can do a lot more damage, thats for sure.

depends on the bite force ability. bigger dogs generally have more but not always

Yes, I can get behind this too (seems to be a pretty conventional opinion on this thread). If you feel threatened by a dog, and your feeling would seem reasonable to most people (which is to say, a person with a genuine dog-phobia is not plainly "reasonable" in their fear)....then you should be able to kill the dog.

It seems lunacy to think otherwise, in my view.

I just put my black lab down the other day. But i will tell you, had anyone or anything laid a finger, foot, paw or otherwise on that dog.
They would be just as dead as laying a hand on any other family of mine.
No if ands or buts.

As the owner of two dogs, I can say that the demeanor and temperament of a dog has a huge amount to do with how it is brought up. If an animal is raised to guard property by force of violence then yes, it will be a violent dog.

However, lovingly and responsibly trained dogs can and will turn violent if their owner is perceived to be put in danger.

Point is, it's generally not the dog. It's the person or people caring for it.

Back
Top Bottom