• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Switzerland is discriminating against muslims

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Ah Switzerland, a country with a history of being free from religious persecution. During the reformation, they granted both catholics and protestants freedom. Well, apparently the country is denying citizenship to muslims who don't want to violate their religion. These aren't men who got caught raping women and girls like in Germany; these are muslims who were doing nothing wrong but had their citizenship denied.

There's a story of 2 muslim girls being denied citizenship because they refused to take swim lessons with the boys.
The girls, ages 12 and 14, who live in the northern city of Basel, had applied for Swiss citizenship several months ago, but their request was denied, Swiss media reported Tuesday.

The girls, whose names were not disclosed, said their religion prevents them from participating in compulsory swimming lessons with males in the pool at the same time. Their naturalization application was rejected because the sisters did not comply with the school curriculum, Basel authorities said.

"Whoever doesn't fulfill these conditions violates the law and therefore cannot be naturalized," Stefan Wehrle, president of the naturalization committee, told TV station SRF on Tuesday.

The case shows how those who don't follow Swiss rules and customs won't become citizens, even if they have lived in the country for a long time, are fluent in one of the national languages -- German, French or Italian -- and are gainfully employed.

Swiss Do the Unthinkable: Deny Muslims Citizenship

Ah Switzerland, a country with a history of being free from religious persecution. During the reformation, they granted both catholics and protestants freedom. Well, apparently the country is denying citizenship to muslims who don't want to violate their religion. These aren't men who got caught raping women and girls like in Germany; these are muslims who were doing nothing wrong but had their citizenship denied.

There's a story of 2 muslim girls being denied citizenship because they refused to take swim lessons with the boys.

Good for Switzerland! :thumbs:

Is anyone who commented above a citizen of Switzerland? :unsure13:

I know I am not, and therefore feel ill-equipped to comment on how Swiss citizens choose to run their own country.

I remain curious though, about why other people feel a need to pontificate on the moral rights and wrongs of a foreign culture with no better yard-stick than their own ethnocentrism. :coffeepap:

Last edited:

I know I am not, and therefore feel ill-equipped to comment on how Swiss citizens choose to run their own country.

I remain curious though, about why other people feel a need to pontificate on the moral rights and wrong of a foreign culture with no better yard-stick than their own ethnocentrism. :coffeepap:

Pretty much all of this. I'm not a citizen of Switzerland, I've never been to Switzerland. I have no dog in this fight, all I can say is I hope it doesn't happen here.

I remain curious though, about why other people feel a need to pontificate on the moral rights and wrong of a foreign culture with no better yard-stick than their own ethnocentrism. :coffeepap:

Do you feel there is a need to separate young men and women? Why should Switzerland change their school cirriculum? Muslims need to open their own pools and no one could stop them.

Also those girls might be able to opt out of that class, they could here.

I don't live there. I've never even visited.

I don't know their laws or customs. I have no idea what problems or issues have arisen which may have led to this act.

The issue seems to relate to immigration, not the oppression of a citizen.

Most importantly, I don't pretend that it is any of my business because I live HERE, not way over THERE.

In any case I am a firm supporter of a nation's right to decide who can and cannot immigrate. :shrug:

Very reasonable view, I agree.

Very reasonable view, I agree.

Sorry, I deleted the post because...well post #6 actually said it all.

However, I acknowledge I did state what you quoted, and it does express my general view about why I rarely enter the foreign sub-forums.

I guess if you want to immigrate to a foreign country you ought to be prepared to live by the law of that country. If you aren't, then pick a different country.

Another word(s) for PC.

It's a hack term.

I don't like the PC warriors anymore than you, but get it together.

I remain curious though, about why other people feel a need to pontificate on the moral rights and wrongs of a foreign culture with no better yard-stick than their own ethnocentrism. :coffeepap:

Yeah, I had to rethink my response lol.

Even with that, I've always held to not tell other nations how to handle their immigration situation. That's a line that shouldn't be crossed by foreigners IMO.

Had to correct myself!

It's a hack term.

I don't like the PC warriors anymore than you, but get it together.

What is the reason you dislike them? For me Marx anything is enough.

They're not Marxists (except a fringe few), they have nothing to do with Marxism.

PC has nothing to do with Marxism.

That is a very PC answer.

That is where you are wrong. I have posted proof that is undenible.

Switzerland's approach is not racial discrimination per se. The local media reported that the two girls were denied a Swiss passport, which is a punishment for their refusal to participate in a compulsory swimming lesson in Basel. They allegedly refused to shake hands with male teachers and I can understand the country's stance that integration comes before religion. No one should be treated differently because of their cultural practices that are different from ours.

Last edited:
I'd feel more sympathy for those Muslim girls if Muslim countries were at the forefront of respecting other cultures, instead of in last place. Physician, Heal Thyself.

Otherwise, it looks more like another case of "What's Mine is Mine, What's Yours We Share"

"All of the problems that we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indians." ~ Pat Paulsen

:lol:

Just sayin'

"All of the problems that we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indians." ~ Pat Paulsen

:lol:

Just sayin'

Paulsen ran for President a few times.

i dont like it but if your religion forbids you from causally associating wiht half the population there's something wrong with it

i like to apply what worcks for me to every one my notion of right and wrong doesn't stop at borders

and its fun to get into a self righteous mood

Back
Top Bottom