• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Swing-state stunner: Trump has edge in key states

I will be very interested in seeing the Presidential debates.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got some pretty lofty ratings.

It seems to me that Trump is adjusting his style in the lead up to the convention.

Everybody including liberals will be tuning in to see Trump, not the hildebeast.

There is no really significant Trump movement in the polls that I can see. Florida is an outlier and Dems were under-polled there.

Trump's only real movement is in Florida, according to these polls; the Ohio and Pennsylvania numbers are relatively constant, within the margin of error.

Also worth noting: The Florida sample is 29% Democrat; 35% of Democrats made up the state electorate in the 2012 presidential election, and the Clinton campaign is predicting a strong Democratic turnout in the Sunshine State this November.

Poll: Trump even with Clinton in three swing states

I think you've got that wrong. In those demographics Trump has nowhere to go but up. He's already reached his bottom there. It's Hillary who has reached her zenith, now she's scrambling to keep them and hoping that Trump doesn't score in the meanwhile.

Time will tell which one of is correct. I see very little upwards mobility in terms of minorities or women for Trump. And Clinton will only increase her support as election day gets closer and sobriety kicks in.

64 and 72 proved to us that Americans do NOT like fringe candidates on the margins. And from what I can tell, we will see lots of commercials painting Trump as one of the worst fringe characters to grace the political national stage in a very long time. That will take a toll on him and that is one reason why he will lose.

You misspelled incompetent.

And your point, i cant spell bush2 couldnt govern, which is worse?

Does not matter how many spelling mistakes you point out, Bush2 was a total failure and the GOP owns him. That cannot be erased like a spelling mistake. Get over it!!

And now there's polling today putting Clinton up 9 in Pennsylvania, 3 in Iowa, and 13 in Colorado. Polling's been weird so far this year.

Everybody including liberals will be tuning in to see Trump, not the hildebeast.

Trump will be so busy defendibg himself against lawsuits if Pres, he will have little time for anything else. You think the GOP gives Clinton a rough ride, hang on its going to be a bumpy 4 years, that you can bet on, karma is a bitch.

And your point, i cant spell bush2 couldnt govern, which is worse?

Does not matter how many spelling mistakes you point out, Bush2 was a total failure and the GOP owns him. That cannot be erased like a spelling mistake. Get over it!!

I agree about Bush2. I thought it funny that you were calling a person incompetent and misspelled the word. I apologize.

He doubled the debt, started a couple ill advised wars, did way too little to reign in the bad lending practices and, by doing such a bad job, set the stage for his successor to be an amazing success.

Then came Obama.

He inherited a bad situation and made things worse and, astonishingly, doubled the debt again!

We've had perhaps the two worst presidents in the history of the republic back to back.

Whether it's Crooked Hillary or Crazy Donald, even an average performance will be like the second coming.

We need a president that's not just a party operative.

I agree about Bush2. I thought it funny that you were calling a person incompetent and misspelled the word. I apologize.

He doubled the debt, started a couple ill advised wars, did way too little to reign in the bad lending practices and, by doing such a bad job, set the stage for his successor to be an amazing success.

Then came Obama.

He inherited a bad situation and made things worse and, astonishingly, doubled the debt again!

We've had perhaps the two worst presidents in the history of the republic back to back.

Whether it's Crooked Hillary or Crazy Donald, even an average performance will be like the second coming.

We need a president that's not just a party operative.

By the standard you introduced - the doubling of the national debt under the administration of a President - Ronald Reagan is far far worse than either Bush or Obama since he nearly TRIPLED that measurement.

Trump will be so busy defendibg himself against lawsuits if Pres, he will have little time for anything else. You think the GOP gives Clinton a rough ride, hang on its going to be a bumpy 4 years, that you can bet on, karma is a bitch.

What lawsuits?

Swing-state stunner: Trump has edge in key states - POLITICO

Looks like Hillary isn't stomping Trump like they had thought.

A little over a month ago trump was leading in ohio and florida, and almost all swing states, if the election was held then, he would have lost the popular vote but won the electoral vote.

All of this means absolutely nothing, no conventions held yet and too far from the election, meaning anything and everything can happen. I expect those numbers to flip atleast 10 more times between hillary and trump before election, and by election time illary and trump running neck and neck in popular vote. Towards october the popular vote gap almost always closes in the polls, even with very unpopular people.

By the standard you introduced - the doubling of the national debt under the administration of a President - Ronald Reagan is far far worse than either Bush or Obama since he nearly TRIPLED that measurement.

That sounds about right.

Reagan was a pretty successful president though.

His opponent in the second election was from Minnesota. In that election, Reagan carried 49 of 50 states. He lost the state of Minnesota by 0.18%. He was that far away from carrying all 50 states. Would have been the only guy in industrialized America to have done that. I don't know if there was one of the Founders that did so or not...

When Reagan took office, the USA was in decline and the word on the street was that the best days were behind us, the Japanese were blowing us away in manufacturing, the Russians were doing whatever they wanted to do militarily and our our diplomatic leadership in the world was a distant memory.

When he left office, the US was the unchallenged world leader economically, militarily and diplomatically. Bush 1 was elected, then Clinton took office. Really from about 1982 through 2007, the USA was riding a pretty good wave, but it was cresting and then crashed near the end.

The combined magic of Bush and Obama has moved us to the the same place we were when Reagan was elected in 1980.

If it turns out that the next president has the same outcomes as Reagan, that would be a very good thing.

If you spend a lot and get a lot, that's not such a bad deal. If you spend a lot and get squat, that's not such a good deal.

That sounds about right.

Reagan was a pretty successful president though.

His opponent in the second election was from Minnesota. In that election, Reagan carried 49 of 50 states. He lost the state of Minnesota by 0.18%. He was that far away from carrying all 50 states. Would have been the only guy in industrialized America to have done that. I don't know if there was one of the Founders that did so or not...

When Reagan took office, the USA was in decline and the word on the street was that the best days were behind us, the Japanese were blowing us away in manufacturing, the Russians were doing whatever they wanted to do militarily and our our diplomatic leadership in the world was a distant memory.

When he left office, the US was the unchallenged world leader economically, militarily and diplomatically. Bush 1 was elected, then Clinton took office. Really from about 1982 through 2007, the USA was riding a pretty good wave, but it was cresting and then crashed near the end.

The combined magic of Bush and Obama has moved us to the the same place we were when Reagan was elected in 1980.

If it turns out that the next president has the same outcomes as Reagan, that would be a very good thing.

If you spend a lot and get a lot, that's not such a bad deal. If you spend a lot and get squat, that's not such a good deal.

I was simply using the standard you introduced - the increase in the national debt.

I am glad to see that you have now gone far far beyond that one simple rubric to evaluate a president and hope you would be fair enough to do the same for the Presidents you said were so terrible based on their increase of the debt as your standard.

And now there's polling today putting Clinton up 9 in Pennsylvania, 3 in Iowa, and 13 in Colorado. Polling's been weird so far this year.

That's because polling doesn't matter right now. It won't matter until the RNC.

I was simply using the standard you introduced - the increase in the national debt.

I am glad to see that you have now gone far far beyond that one simple rubric to evaluate a president and hope you would be fair enough to do the same for the Presidents you said were so terrible based on their increase of the debt as your standard.

I'm sorry. I was considering the outcomes of the two presidents we will have suffered under for 16 years.

The National Debt is one gauge. Having been in business for all of my adult life, I am concerned that the leaders we have seem to be incapable of creating a plan and then executing it. That is the ONLY thing that a budget is.

Failure to achieve budget is failure.

I feel like the most important metric to measure the performance of a president a little less concrete and measurable than that. Call it a hope factor. There is a general feel in a population that things are going right or wrong. The polling companies ask people if they feel the country is on the right track or wrong track. Very vague but people feel what they feel. I "feel" like this a "Hope Barometer".

Do you fell like the plans you have made for retirement, career, education, child raising are going to be made possible by the income you will enjoy? If yes, then you have hope woven into your outlook.

If no, then you are in despair.

Of course, almost nobody is completely filled with hope or completely gripped by despair. The former is giddy and the latter is suicidal.

The country, though, seems to slide up and down the scale based on what the individual folks "feel". Under Carter, the general feel of things was despair. Under Reagan, the general feel was hope. This is clearly represented by the both of their second campaign results.

As I muddle through my life, the feel right now seems less hopeful than it should be. Students feel like they will not be able to pay for education and then get a good job. Couples are waiting longer before they have kids. There are more people not working in this country than ever before. More people on Food Stamps, more receiving aid in one form or another just to get by. This is all because the opportunity for the individual is not there.

These are all things that seem to speak to the state of mind of those who are not robustly attacking life knowing in their hearts that their efforts will create good things for them.

The difference between hope and despair is the inner attitude that inspires folks to either stand up and fight or lay down and die.

It "feels" to me like there are fewer people right now who want to stand up, more that want to lay down. This is very troubling. Not really the traditional American approach to life.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Direction of Country

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I was considering the outcomes of the two presidents we will have suffered under for 16 years.

The National Debt is one gauge. Having been in business for all of my adult life, I am concerned that the leaders we have seem to be incapable of creating a plan and then executing it. That is the ONLY thing that a budget is.

Failure to achieve budget is failure.

I feel like the most important metric to measure the performance of a president a little less concrete and measurable than that. Call it a hope factor. There is a general feel in a population that things are going right or wrong. The polling companies ask people if they feel the country is on the right track or wrong track. Very vague but people feel what they feel. I "feel" like this a "Hope Barometer".

Do you fell like the plans you have made for retirement, career, education, child raising are going to be made possible by the income you will enjoy? If yes, then you have hope woven into your outlook.

If no, then you are in despair.

Of course, almost nobody is completely filled with hope or completely gripped by despair. The former is giddy and the latter is suicidal.

The country, though, seems to slide up and down the scale based on what the individual folks "feel". Under Carter, the general feel of things was despair. Under Reagan, the general feel was hope. This is clearly represented by the both of their second campaign results.

As I muddle through my life, the feel right now seems less hopeful than it should be. Students feel like they will not be able to pay for education and then get a good job. Couples are waiting longer before they have kids. There are more people not working in this country than ever before. More people on Food Stamps, more receiving aid in one form or another just to get by. This is all because the opportunity for the individual is not there.

These are all things that seem to speak to the state of mind of those who are not robustly attacking life knowing in their hearts that their efforts will create good things for them.

The difference between hope and despair is the inner attitude that inspires folks to either stand up and fight or lay down and die.

It "feels" to me like there are fewer people right now who want to stand up, more that want to lay down. This is very troubling. Not really the traditional American approach to life.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Direction of Country

As I said, glad to see my referencing of the Reagan debt increase has helped you see that there is far far far more to evaluating a President than that one rubric.

President Trump will unite the country against him.

Like it or not, we need Trump in the White House. We need change. We need a wake-up call.

We need Trump like a bad case of the clap.

As I said, glad to see my referencing of the Reagan debt increase has helped you see that there is far far far more to evaluating a President than that one rubric.

You replied to a post that was itself a response to a different poster.

There were various issues relating to measuring devices for failed presidencies included in that post. Primarily for Bush.

YOU picked out one.

I am glad that you are glad, but your self back patting regarding your opening of my eyes only highlights that you seem to have missed the majority of areas of consideration that I posted.

Did you have any thoughts whatsoever on the ideas written in the post to which you responded above?

^ Spot on. :p

heres what is "spot on"..

you're getting trump, so get used to it.. crooked Hillary lost her chance when she, well, opened her mouth to try and say something truthful.

heres what is "spot on"..

you're getting trump, so get used to it.. crooked Hillary lost her chance when she, well, opened her mouth to try and say something truthful.

I've said it many times, I would prefer Trump over Hillary.

Reagan was indeed an awful president. I don't understand the GOP's idolatry of him.

We need Trump like a bad case of the clap.
Donald Trump is the way, the truth, and the light. When Reagan spoke of a light shining on a hill as a beacon, he was having a prophetic vision of Donald Trump's grace and power emanating from within and radiating out for all to behold.

Back
Top Bottom