• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sweden withdraws warrant for WikiLeaks founder

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
STOCKHOLM – Swedish prosecutors withdrew an arrest warrant for the founder of WikiLeaks on Saturday, saying less than a day after the document was issued that it was based on an unfounded accusation of rape.

They said that for the moment Julian Assange remains suspected of the lesser crime of molestation in a separate case.

The accusations have been labeled a dirty trick by Julian Assange and his group, who are preparing to release a fresh batch of classified U.S. documents from the Afghan war.
OK, so the US is trying to pull a dirty trick on Assange. So what? His leaking of documents has endangered many lives, and many innocent people will be raped, murdered, and tortured because of his actions. So here is the way I see it:

1) OK, OK - He did not literally rape anyone. Drop all charges there. Let Sweden deal with the possible molestation itself.

2) Indict him as an accessory to espionage, and as a result of that espionage and subsequent leak of classified information to terrorists, also indict him for accessory to rape, accessory to murder, accessory to torture, and accessory to war crimes, try him accordingly, and if found guilty, punish him with the appropriate sentence. That would work for me.

Article is here.

Last edited:
I imagine the CIA is very worried about this...I'm sure they have done some absolutely brutal things behind closed doors and if wikileaks get their hands on it, well it isn't going to be pretty.

The US seems to feel they can step into the Swiss. They did it previously during the Pirate Bay fiasco and I wouldnt be overly stunned if a lot of this is resulting from US pressure on the Swiss.

OK, so the US is trying to pull a dirty trick on Assange. So what? His leaking of documents has endangered many lives, and many innocent people will be raped, murdered, and tortured because of his actions. So here is the way I see it:

1) OK, OK - He did not literally rape anyone. Drop all charges there. Let Sweden deal with the possible molestation itself.

2) Indict him as an accessory to espionage, and as a result of that espionage and subsequent leak of classified information to terrorists, also indict him for accessory to rape, accessory to murder, accessory to torture, and accessory to war crimes, try him accordingly, and if found guilty, punish him with the appropriate sentence. That would work for me.

Article is here.

Do you have a shred of evidence to indicate that the US was involved in any way?

Moreover, according to the stories I read, two different women went to the police and accused Assange of violent actions subsequent to consensual sex. The first prosecutor responded by issuing a warrant for rape and molestation. The second prosecutor withdrew the warrant on rape, but left the one on molestation. Nothing about that indicates that he's innocent of anything.

good luck getting him to the US, you forget that however many thousands of classified documents he has in his possession could provide him with a bit of political clout, maybe enough to rescind any extradition order the US hands out.

good luck getting him to the US, you forget that however many thousands of classified documents he has in his possession could provide him with a bit of political clout, maybe enough to rescind any extradition order the US hands out.

I was under the impression that the woman who made the accusations where not Americans, so getting him to the US is not something that would happen from this.

I was under the impression that the woman who made the accusations where not Americans, so getting him to the US is not something that would happen from this.

yeah, the women were Swedes and he's Australian, i was going under the premise that they could extradite him for the stuff he leaked, just to entertain the argument.

Do you have a shred of evidence to indicate that the US was involved in any way?

Moreover, according to the stories I read, two different women went to the police and accused Assange of violent actions subsequent to consensual sex. The first prosecutor responded by issuing a warrant for rape and molestation. The second prosecutor withdrew the warrant on rape, but left the one on molestation. Nothing about that indicates that he's innocent of anything.

Nope. I don't care if there is any evidence. All I am saying is that, if the accusations turn out to be true, I am cool with it.

Last time I checked, Sweden is not a state in the United States of America. Sweden has no business charging him with espionage nor does Australia. It's called freedom of the press. The fault lies with the military with leaking the info, not a member of the public for receiving it. And frankly, I want to hear what's in the documents. It sounds like our governments have been pulling the wool over our eyes for almost 10 years now.

I imagine the CIA is very worried about this...I'm sure they have done some absolutely brutal things behind closed doors and if wikileaks get their hands on it, well it isn't going to be pretty.

Got a link?

Back
Top Bottom