• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sweden-our chat continued

_Sal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
somewhere across the border in the great North
Political Leaning
Liberal
hey Sweden and anyone else who wishes to join in.....

-13.6 here, no idea what the wind chill is and I have no intention of going to find out as it's blowing hard. (How does one do those little o degree things?)

Our eldest grandson, who starts college in Montreal in two weeks, was to take his driving test 40 minutes ago. I hope he didn't skid around too much.

(I love clothes shopping. I bought a shirt a year or three ago - it still fits - and I might go again if it wears out.)

OK so where are you? 43 degrees, so I'm guessing Hamilton, Ontario.

:shock: super good guess on the location...I am very close to Hamilton. I am in the Kitchener Waterloo area about 60K away

the degree is done thus... hold your "alt" key and press 0176 and you get ° :mrgreen:

your grandson is going to Montreal for college, wonderful...

your English is impeccable, your grammar, spelling and syntax is perfect... how?

I have to say, I so envy you Europeans that have such amazing language skills, because of your close proximity to other countries...Canadians are often bilingual these days...me, not so great but the younger ones...absolutely

do you speak French as well as you do English?

LOL on the clothes shopping....I used to be in retail management so I loathe shopping...but I like to look good as it appeals to my vanity...so yeah... I HAD to shop today as I was beginning to look like a rag a muffin

From a thread with Pete EU, I believe that Sweden might actually be English, he mentions being

of the member of HM Diplomatic Service, just as I was.
To say HM Diplomatic Service in discussion of the Brexit indicates being British not Swedish as I thought. As such his english should be impeccable. I expect a high level of formal education

hey Sweden and anyone else who wishes to join in.....

:shock: super good guess on the location...I am very close to Hamilton. I am in the Kitchener Waterloo area about 60K away

the degree is done thus... hold your "alt" key and press 0176 and you get ° :mrgreen:

your grandson is going to Montreal for college, wonderful...

your English is impeccable, your grammar, spelling and syntax is perfect... how?

I have to say, I so envy you Europeans that have such amazing language skills, because of your close proximity to other countries...Canadians are often bilingual these days...me, not so great but the younger ones...absolutely

do you speak French as well as you do English?

LOL on the clothes shopping....I used to be in retail management so I loathe shopping...but I like to look good as it appeals to my vanity...so yeah... I HAD to shop today as I was beginning to look like a rag a muffin

So this is the loft - I've read the Loft Guidelines and promise to be the perfect Loftee/loftist/lofter.

It's now -18 , oh dear the alt 0176 doesn't work on my Swedish keyboard.

I'm a Paris born Brit/Swede dual nat (who lives in Sweden near Uppsala) so your kind remarks about my English are undeserved. I was at French speaking school in Brussels for three years, as in happens, so was once nearly bilingual in that language. As are my Québequoise grand daughter and Québequois grandson. They have French Canadian with a strong dash of Cree and English grandfathers and Italian and Swedish born grandmothers. Our oldest grandson, he who is about to go to Dawson, is anglo-Canadian on his mother's side.

I can't claim to know Ontario that well but I've spent time in Mississauga and Port Colborne. I love Canada and Canadians and in discussions about the merits/demerits of various nations sometimes cite them - you - as the nicest people in the world. (I am not quite so enamoured of M. Trudeau fils however.) Oh - and after three visits I nominate Ottawa as candidate for the'World's most pleasant capital city' award.

Do enjoy your winter Sal. I like your posts and this inconsequential conversation.

hope your day is going well

So this is the loft - I've read the Loft Guidelines and promise to be the perfect Loftee/loftist/lofter.
lol okay me too and I will attempt to raise my standards in order to be "lofty"

It's now -18 , oh dear the alt 0176 doesn't work on my Swedish keyboard.
ah sorry...I sure google does though so here's what I found from a quick search:
On my keyboard it's Alt Gr + Shift + 0 (that is ZERO on the upper row, not on the numerical keyboard). It's a Swedish keyboard though.

I'm a Paris born Brit/Swede dual nat (who lives in Sweden near Uppsala) so your kind remarks about my English are undeserved. I was at French speaking school in Brussels for three years, as in happens, so was once nearly bilingual in that language. As are my Québequoise grand daughter and Québequois grandson. They have French Canadian with a strong dash of Cree and English grandfathers and Italian and Swedish born grandmothers. Our oldest grandson, he who is about to go to Dawson, is anglo-Canadian on his mother's side.
you have super interesting bloodlines...my combo is English, Irish, Scotch...who knows what else...I'm a heinz 57 I guess

I can't claim to know Ontario that well but I've spent time in Mississauga and Port Colborne.
both are very nice places

I love Canada and Canadians and in discussions about the merits/demerits of various nations sometimes cite them - you - as the nicest people in the world.
in general sense we are usually quite polite and helpful...on forums though we deviate... :mrgreen:

(I am not quite so enamoured of M. Trudeau fils however.)
he was our best alternative :shrug: we shall see how it goes

Oh - and after three visits I nominate Ottawa as candidate for the'World's most pleasant capital city' award.
Ottawa is quite lovely...lots of snow though

Do enjoy your winter Sal. I like your posts and this inconsequential conversation.
and you enjoy yours too Sweden....wander back at your leisure and I will too and anyone else can join in for some non-political, polite banter

hope your day is going well

lol okay me too and I will attempt to raise my standards in order to be "lofty"

ah sorry...I sure google does though so here's what I found from a quick search:

you have super interesting bloodlines...my combo is English, Irish, Scotch...who knows what else...I'm a heinz 57 I guess

both are very nice places

in general sense we are usually quite polite and helpful...on forums though we deviate... :mrgreen:

he was our best alternative :shrug: we shall see how it goes

Ottawa is quite lovely...lots of snow though

and you enjoy yours too Sweden....wander back at your leisure and I will too and anyone else can join in for some non-political, polite banter

For now i'll just test alt gr+ shift+0 ... -5 nope. Anyway thanks for your incredible patience. You will know as well as I do that after -20 a mere -5 feels warm.

Back
Top Bottom