• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Suspicions confirmed

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A forthcoming book called The Confessions of Congressman X,purportedly written by a sitting (and rumored to be Democratic) congressman, promises to be an anonymous revelation of everything terrible you've always suspected about America's representatives in Washington. Choice quotes about Congress include:

• "Most of my colleagues are dishonest career politicians who revel in the power and special-interest money that's lavished upon them."
  • "My main job is to keep my job, to get reelected. It takes precedence over everything."
  • "Fundraising is so time consuming I seldom read any bills I vote on. Like many of my colleagues, I don't know how the legislation will be implemented, or what it'll cost."

• "The average man on the street actually thinks he influences how I vote. Unless it's a hot-button issue, his thoughts are generally meaningless. I'll politely listen, but I follow the money."
  • "Voters are incredibly ignorant and know little about our form of government and how it works."
  • "It's far easier than you think to manipulate a nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep who crave instant gratification."

No surprises there, at least not to most of the members of DP.

source

In other shocking news, gravity still works today.

So this guy, this Congressperson, is selling a book telling everybody that Congress is as craven and corrupt as we believe it is. I'm immediately left wondering why I should buy it.

In other shocking news, gravity still works today.

Predictions for this evening include the sun setting in the west, followed by a period of darkness. All signs point towards the sun reemerging in the east, but the jury is still out on that one.

So this guy, this Congressperson, is selling a book telling everybody that Congress is as craven and corrupt as we believe it is. I'm immediately left wondering why I should buy it.

My high school football coach used to tell me my 3 point stance was so bad it made him want to take a ****.

So, assuming the book is a look at what makes most politicians tick, I'm thinking this would make great bathroom reading material.

I never knew politicians were corrupt!
I thought they were just amorally enlightened.

Can't serve 2 masters, and politicians #1 master is money and lobbyists, so that means their other masters, the voters, the people that they suppose to serve, are **** out of luck.

This is no surprise. Money in politics will be the ruin of this country, not some outside invader.

$1+ bil to run for POTUS? That's disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

My high school football coach used to tell me my 3 point stance was so bad it made him want to take a ****.

So, assuming the book is a look at what makes most politicians tick, I'm thinking this would make great bathroom reading material.

I treasure my cynicism and I'll not permit this guy to ruin it. I'd prefer to leave my imagination in tact. Anytime someone in Congress tells us that they're worse than we think it's obvious they're out of touch. They couldn't possibly be worse than we think.

No surprises there, at least not to most of the members of DP.

source

No, I'm not shocked. Last I recall, though, there was a time that one side tried to keep corporate money out of politics...and the other side insisted that corporate money in politics was "freedom of speech". Which side was it that celebrated "Citizens United"?

And since the side that equated money with freedom of speech "won", both sides are forced to follow the money, even when they really don't want to. This is a classic case of "be careful what you wish for"...because this is what the "money is speech" Right has ensured will be entrenched in our political system for generations to come.

No, I'm not shocked. Last I recall, though, there was a time that one side tried to keep corporate money out of politics...and the other side insisted that corporate money in politics was "freedom of speech". Which side was it that celebrated "Citizens United"?

And since the side that equated money with freedom of speech "won", both sides are forced to follow the money, even when they really don't want to. This is a classic case of "be careful what you wish for"...because this is what the "money is speech" Right has ensured will be entrenched in our political system for generations to come.

Glenn, you left the unions out up there in that post. If unions can do it, so can corporations. When you support the elimination of union contributions to political campaigns, maybe you'll have a leg to stand on when making that complaint.

Glenn, you left the unions out up there in that post. If unions can do it, so can corporations. When you support the elimination of union contributions to political campaigns, maybe you'll have a leg to stand on when making that complaint.

I agree with you - get ALL money out of politics...have it ALL publicly funded, like England does. Because that is the only - repeat, the ONLY - way to get all money out of politics, to keep our politicians from being beholden to donors. Would you agree with me on that?

I agree with you - get ALL money out of politics...have it ALL publicly funded, like England does. Because that is the only - repeat, the ONLY - way to get all money out of politics, to keep our politicians from being beholden to donors. Would you agree with me on that?

I would, with the caveat that this will never, ever happen no matter how much we'd like to see it. Getting money out of politics is like attempting to remove the fruitiness from strawberries.

I would, with the caveat that this will never, ever happen no matter how much we'd like to see it. Getting money out of politics is like attempting to remove the fruitiness from strawberries.

Why do you say that? We have had far more limitations on political money in the past. Why couldn't we do it all the way this time? Are we retarded as a country? I think it is the right wing that insist we keep it the way it is because they assume it gives their side some sort of advantage. Look at the reaction to Citizens united. The left hated it and the right though it was just dandy.

Last edited:
Ah. So they're somehow less human - or more human - than we are? If you'll recall, many of the freedoms we have, have their roots in their Magna Carta.

Indeed. They are, however, more English than we are. It's one thing to do in a nation of 50 million. It's quite another to do so in a nation 7 times larger, and one that has defined modern capitalism. I don't believe our situation is comparable to that of England to the degree you think.

Why do you say that? We have had far more limitations on political money in the past. Why couldn't we do it all the way this time? Are we retarded as a country?

No, that's not it at all. It's because the political power in this country has a vested interest in things remaining as they are, and that's true regardless of party. Understand, the people you would necessarily have to count on to achieve the changes you desire are the very same people profitting from the system as it currently exists.

Indeed. They are, however, more English than we are. It's one thing to do in a nation of 50 million. It's quite another to do so in a nation 7 times larger, and one that has defined modern capitalism. I don't believe our situation is comparable to that of England to the degree you think.

Is it? By the end of Bush 43's first term, would any of us have thought that gay marriage would be legal in all 50 states today? Would any of us have thought that we would elect - twice - a black guy whose dad was from Kenya and whose middle name was Hussein? Remember, the only constant is change.

So dark money in politics is a tenet of capitalism like our antiquated and inefficient health care system? Why do we need to fight off so many disadvantages? Is capitalism that fragile?

No, that's not it at all. It's because the political power in this country has a vested interest in things remaining as they are, and that's true regardless of party. Understand, the people you would necessarily have to count on to achieve the changes you desire are the very same people profitting from the system as it currently exists.

So you are saying that it is not under our control? We can never elect someone who has our interests in mind? I think you are just trying to keep a perceived advantage for your side but at what cost?

So dark money in politics is a tenet of capitalism like our antiquated and inefficient health care system? Why do we need to fight off so many disadvantages? Is capitalism that fragile?

People, or groups of people, can spend their money however they like.

Is it? By the end of Bush 43's first term, would any of us have thought that gay marriage would be legal in all 50 states today? Would any of us have thought that we would elect - twice - a black guy whose dad was from Kenya and whose middle name was Hussein? Remember, the only constant is change.

I don't view those events as seminal in any respect. Who cares what color the president is? I don't, and I never did. Same with gay marriage. I can't say such a change couldn't happen, but it would be a significant change, and not likely to happen with the folks running our government at present. Could it change? Sure. I'm not holding my breath though. Actual changes in the way business is conducted in DC only evolve very slowly.

Back
Top Bottom