• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Susan Rice requested to unmask names of Trump transition officials, sources say

I'm rather confused as to what the problem is here. As former Pres. Obama's National Security Advisor, it was Susan Rice's job to ask for detailed information on matters concerning national security including knowing who the players involved were even if they were U.S. citizens. Of course, she'd have to follow the law and assuming that she did, I don't think it would be that unusual for someone in her position to make such requests.

I think what may have some people all giddy or riled up about this is: a) It's Susan Rice, famed for her comments on Benghazi within (24-72) hours after the attack ensued, and b) the number of times she made the unmasking request. It's interesting to note, however, that according to published accounts, at no point was her request granted. Furthermore, none of the articles I've read on this matter states that she uncovered any names of U.S. citizens who were involved directly or indirectly with the Russian investigation.

Now, I think her statement that she knew nothing about anyone within Team Trump being swept up in this Russian investigation is :bs. As NSA, she had to know even if the names where changed (i.e., alias given) to protect the innocent. And according to her own account, the logs are meticulously maintained on such requests. But there's nothing to confirm that she was the one who named names. I think it's important that people take a step back and recognize this fact.

Her request for unmasking wasn't granted? ...
"The intelligence community made the determination whether the identity of that American individual could be provided to me," - Susan Rice
"I receive those reports, as did each of those other officials, and there were occasions when I would receive a report when a U.S. person was referred to. Name not provided, just U.S. person,... And sometimes in that context, in order to understand the importance of the report and understand its significance it was necessary to find out who that U.S. person was." - Susan Rice
"This is not anything political as has been alleged,...The allegation is that somehow Obama administration officials utilized intelligence for political purposes. That is absolutely false."

Susan Rice you say...

I hope that there is substance to the investigation(s), or things are going to get much nastier than they already are.

Requesting the unmasking of people in surveillance is routine for the National Security Advisor. What should be of greater concern is what Trump did to ensnare himself in the ongoing and completely legal surveillance in the first place.

Susan Rice you say...

I hope that there is substance to the investigation(s), or things are going to get much nastier than they already are.

Well, not really. If the names weren't unmasked, she didn't know who the people were. As NSA head, she had the legal right and was given the approval to have the names. She didn't give those names to anyone. This is part of her job.

Requesting the unmasking of people in surveillance is routine for the National Security Advisor. What should be of greater concern is what Trump did to ensnare himself in the ongoing and completely legal surveillance in the first place.

True. Perfectly legal and part of her job. PLUS...if the names weren't unmasked, she couldn't have known WHO the people were.

Wow. That may mean the substance of those calls was pretty important, for the NSA Director to notice them, in the first place. I'm sure an NSA director gets a lot of information.

Well, not really. If the names weren't unmasked, she didn't know who the people were. As NSA head, she had the legal right and was given the approval to have the names. She didn't give those names to anyone. This is part of her job.

Don't spoil their fun with facts. Trump supporters are too busy pointing and shouting, "Don't look at us, look over here!" as the newest shiny object is thrown into the air.

True. Perfectly legal and part of her job. PLUS...if the names weren't unmasked, she couldn't have known WHO the people were.

Wow. That may mean the substance of those calls was pretty important, for the NSA Director to notice them, in the first place. I'm sure an NSA director gets a lot of information.

I misspoke in this post. She wasn't the NSA "Director." She was the NSA. The National Security Advisor.

Why would she need the names? The increasingly indispensable Andrew McCarthy over at NATIONAL REVIEW is of the opinion that her only need was for political reasons.

So this is what Rice was doing instead of finding ways to roll back North Korea's nukes

It is if you are working on a Presidential campaign.

Really? Okay.. let's have Clinton's campaign staff convos and even hers with foreigners. Podesta was very tight with a Russian Bank.

No, you actually miss the bigger problem. Requesting an unmasking by the National Security Advisor or any of the other 19 that have the power to ask.. okay and perfectly fine.. what the real problem is.. there is only 20 people in the US Government that have access to that ability and this is the FIRST TIME there has been any leak of private citizens conversations that dealt with politics under a FISA court order. Hillary's campaign talked with Russia. No leak there. John Podesta is tied to Russia no leaks of those phone calls.

So what happen was PURELY Political.

Somebody leaked it.. only 20 people in the US Government have the ability to ask for an unmasking and it's based on per individual request. Susan Rice is the only confirmed person to receive it. Which means she is right now the leaker which if I was her, I'd be on a flight to Russia asking for asylum or Non-Extradition treaty country.

No, you actually miss the bigger problem. Requesting an unmasking by the National Security Advisor or any of the other 19 that have the power to ask.. okay and perfectly fine.. what the real problem is.. there is only 20 people in the US Government that have access to that ability and this is the FIRST TIME there has been any leak of private citizens conversations that dealt with politics under a FISA court order. Hillary's campaign talked with Russia. No leak there. John Podesta is tied to Russia no leaks of those phone calls.

So what happen was PURELY Political.

You made all of that up.

You made all of that up.

Nope. It's all true. 20 people who can request the information.

There has never been a leak of a private citizen tied to an FISA warrant without getting a standard warrant (what is needed for wiretapping a US citizen). John Podesta and his brother run the Podesta group. Podesta group was hired by Sberbank (Russia's biggest bank) to end US sanctions of Russia. They were also paid by European Centre for a Modern Ukraine which was Viktor Yanukovych supporter (so Russian).

I don't make **** up.

Her request for unmasking wasn't granted? ...
"The intelligence community made the determination whether the identity of that American individual could be provided to me," - Susan Rice

I got the impression from listening to that portion of her interview that she was speaking from past experience, not that any names currently being tossed around were ever revealed to her. But to be honest, I think it would be rather naive for anyone to think no U.S. intelligence agency ever disclosed the name(s) of U.S. citizens to her upon request who were either purposely under investigation or "swept up" in an investigation such as the one currently being discussed in the court of public opinion. In any case, that's how I interpreted that line of her interview. I could be wrong, but that's how I heard it.

"I receive those reports, as did each of those other officials, and there were occasions when I would receive a report when a U.S. person was referred to. Name not provided, just U.S. person,... And sometimes in that context, in order to understand the importance of the report and understand its significance it was necessary to find out who that U.S. person was." - Susan Rice

Again, this goes to procedure and of the likelihood that she may have made such requests to unmask names in the performance of her official duties. It's not an admission that she made such a request in the case currently before the public. But like I said, I think people would be naive to think she never asked. Whether or not names were revealed to her and if she disclosed them is another matter.

"This is not anything political as has been alleged,...The allegation is that somehow Obama administration officials utilized intelligence for political purposes. That is absolutely false."

I don't know if the "leaks" are politically motivated or not. But I do consider what information that has been leaked into the public sphere to be very interesting.

Why would she need the names? The increasingly indispensable Andrew McCarthy over at NATIONAL REVIEW is of the opinion that her only need was for political reasons.

What does the increasingly indispensable Mr. McCarthy say about the fact she didn't know who was under the mask when she requested the unmasking so what political reason could she have had in mind; and once she received the name(s) what did she do with the information that was political?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom