• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Susan Pompeo's travels during shutdown anger some diplomats, sources say

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

440px-Mike_Pompeo_family.jpg

Pompeo family photo. 2018.

1/18/19
At a time when most State Department staff weren't allowed to travel for work and some weren't even allowed to use their work phones, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's wife Susan embarked on an eight-day trip with her husband, requiring unpaid staffers to prepare and support her across the Middle East. Many diplomats, already demoralized by the partial government shutdown, were angry, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation. "Eyebrows were raised from the start, from the planning, on why is she coming, and why is she coming during the shutdown?," one person familiar with the matter told CNN. A senior State Department official said "This is BS. You don't bring more people that need staffing, transportation, etc. when embassy employees are working without being paid." It was Susan Pompeo's presence on the trip at a time State Department staff are working without pay that seemed to cause the furor. There are also questions over whether the use of State Department staffers' time to assist her violated federal regulations. The State Department says most diplomats abroad have not been paid during the shutdown. Sources said many had to come to work anyway to handle this trip -- for some requiring very long hours. It's unclear exactly how many people on the Pompeo trip were not being paid. "No one's pleased," the source said. "There's no appreciation for what everyone is doing. No acknowledgment. This is real."

Unpaid State Department employees have to serve as Susan Pompeo's coterie and personal staff as she accompanies her husband on an official government overseas trip to the Middle East?

During a shutdown when these people are not even being paid? wtf?

Unpaid State Department employees have to serve as Susan Pompeo's coterie and personal staff as she accompanies her husband on an official government overseas trip to the Middle East?

MAGA don't you get it MAGA! If it makes libtards mad it's MAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean come on, see the credibility of the exclamation points? #winning!

:roll:

So, you were opposed to Pelosi's trip too? She and here entourage bring a lot of staffers too. In fairness, I'll accept if you're either for both trips or against both trips.

Question: Does anyone know the exact number of staffers attached ONLY to Mrs. Pompeo staff?

So, you were opposed to Pelosi's trip too? She and here entourage bring a lot of staffers too. In fairness, I'll accept if you're either for both trips or against both trips.

Question: Does anyone know the exact number of staffers attached ONLY to Mrs. Pompeo staff?
How about those of us that dont care either way

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WTF goes on in these people's heads that they would even contemplate this, much less follow through on such an obnoxious plan?

WTF goes on in these people's heads that they would even contemplate this, much less follow through on such an obnoxious plan?

Swampers. Trump appointed world class grifters and swampers. The GOP is unconcerned.

Pelosi is elected, Mrs Pompeo is not

Swampers. Trump appointed world class grifters and swampers. The GOP is unconcerned.

Seems odd that suddenly no Congressional peeps can go on junkets, but Trump can jet to Iraq and Pompeo can fly his old lady around the ME.

That would only be a fair comparison if Pelosi were bringing her husband. The issue isn’t Mike Pompeo traveling, but him bringing his wife.

Back when I worked at embassies and coordinated such trips high ranking individuals bringing their spouses always created more work. A separate control officer, security, drivers, vehicles, and interpreters have to be assigned because the spouse. And half the time it is BS like sight seeing and shopping while their husband is in official meetings. Even when the government isn’t closed spouses are a pain in the ass and I think we need to change the rules about bringing them along. The First Lady and Second Lady, fine. But Cabinet officials, members of Congress, and Generals don’t need to be bringing their spouses.

~" Many diplomats, already demoralized by the partial government shutdown, were angry, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation. "

The Secretary of State's wife TRAVELLED WITH HIM? And?

Pelosi tried to take a JUNKET for NO REASON.

(Translation: UNNAMED Obama Swamp leftovers in the Stated Dept. bitched. )

Because it requires additional manpower and resources for somebody who doesn’t need to be there. The spouses don’t just stick next to their husband’s side throughout these trips.

That would only be a fair comparison if Pelosi were bringing her husband. The issue isn’t Mike Pompeo traveling, but him bringing his wife
Which is why I asked how many additional people she actually required.

Skeptic Bob said:
Back when I worked at embassies and coordinated such trips high ranking individuals bringing their spouses always created more work. A separate control officer, security, drivers, vehicles, and interpreters have to be assigned because the spouse. And half the time it is BS like sight seeing and shopping while their husband is in official meetings. Even when the government isn’t closed spouses are a pain in the ass and I think we need to change the rules about bringing them along. The First Lady and Second Lady, fine. But Cabinet officials, members of Congress, and Generals don’t need to be bringing their spouses.
Thanks for sharing your experience. So which would have caused more work - a VIP's spouse or entire Congressional Delegation's worth of staffers? As I understand it she was bringing along other congress critters plus their staffers, aides, etc.

Pelosi is elected, Mrs Pompeo is not
But MR Pompeo is a top level government official. Which is why I asked how many ADDITIONAL people were involved by having MRS Pompeo come along.

Pelosi tried to take a JUNKET for NO REASON.

(Translation: UNNAMED Obama Swamp leftovers in the Stated Dept. bitched. )

You must be joking, or woefully uninformed. Pelosi and a congressional delegation were going to Brussels to meet with NATO officials and calm their fears about Trump shooting off his big fat yap; and then to Afghanistan for a classified "Condel" (congressional delegation) briefing on military matters in that war zone, so they understood the issues the military was facing when it was time for them to vote about said issues.

Back
Top Bottom