• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Susan B. Anthony

istodolez

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I am GLAD Trump pardoned SBA. She fought a good fight and stood up for a cause that took far too long to get fixed.

But is anyone fascinated that Trump just pardoned someone for illegal voting?

(Don't get me wrong I think what SBA did was great and wasn't really a violation of a law, but rather standing up to an unjust law...I'm just fascinated that of all the things Trump could do in his desperate thirst to attract women voters he'd pardon SBA for this.)

(I also realize that Trump and his fellow conservatives had to look long and hard to find a woman they could get behind but for the man who OFTEN calls women "dogs" when they fail to meet his high standards of APPEARANCE SBA was definitely NOT someone Trump would find appealing. I also realize that many conservatives think SBA was some anti-abortion activist despite there being no real evidence for it, so it's probably the most appealing woman they could do something with. Because heaven knows putting Harriett Tubman on the $20 is a BRIDGE TOO FAR!)

Could you link to a source, please?

I am GLAD Trump pardoned SBA. She fought a good fight and stood up for a cause that took far too long to get fixed.

(Don't get me wrong I think what SBA did was great and wasn't really a violation of a law, but rather standing up to an unjust law...I'm just fascinated that of all the things Trump could do in his desperate thirst to attract women voters he'd pardon SBA for this.)

(I also realize that Trump and his fellow conservatives had to look long and hard to find a woman they could get behind but for the man who OFTEN calls women "dogs" when they fail to meet his high standards of APPEARANCE SBA was definitely NOT someone Trump would find appealing. I also realize that many conservatives think SBA was some anti-abortion activist despite there being no real evidence for it, so it's probably the most appealing woman they could do something with. Because heaven knows putting Harriett Tubman on the $20 is a BRIDGE TOO FAR!)

SBA was a criminal and Trump is wrong to pardon her.

This is a significant event, but it flew completely under the radar. It's a little late to question the media's intentions, but it is clearly not to inform or to support the black community.

Why are you glad Trump pardoned Anthony? She was PROUD of her criminal record. Were she still alive, she wouldn't have wanted a pardon.

But since when does Trump care about a woman's wishes when he can force himself on her instead?

Trump's attempt to start a race war, scaring suburban women over the low income invasion and demanding their kids go to potentially unsafe schools are just a few reasons why he's losing the women's vote. This and I'm sure other attempted band-aids between now and November won't help. Suburban woman are just not as hateful and racist as Trump believes they are...

Why are you glad Trump pardoned Anthony? She was PROUD of her criminal record. Were she still alive, she wouldn't have wanted a pardon.

You know, I was actually kind of thinking that myself. But still in all, for a pardon it's one of Trump's "better" ones.

But since when does Trump care about a woman's wishes when he can force himself on her instead?

Yeah, it's blatantly clear that Trump couldn't care less about any of this (I doubt he even knew who SBA was). At least he's "trying". :)

Perhaps he assumes that since she was a racist, she would have voted for him, so its understandable.

Perhaps he assumes that since she was a racist, she would have voted for him, so its understandable.

I think SBA's "racism" is probably more moderated than Trump's. Not really quite the same thing. (But I agree, it's not like Trump would know ANYTHING about ANY of this)

Originally SBA and Elizabeth Cady Stanton stood along side Frederick Douglass in seeking universal suffrage. But it's an interesting study in how the women's suffrage movement created a strategy that would provide them with a chance of getting women's suffrage but then only white women's suffrage to assuage the deeply racist South.

SBA was actually more well-defined as an "assimilationist" (per Ibram X. Kendi's concept) but she was hardly a racist per se. The way the whole 15th Amendment thing came out appears to me to be more aligned with strategy in the face of an "all-or-nothing" approach to suffrage. If the women's movement at the time were to have been wholly dedicated to ONLY the most DECENT thing they would have stuck with Ida B. Wells and Frederick Douglass and they would have seen to it that the tide raises all boats.

But by the same token they would probably have not succeeded in expanding the franchise at all. The REAL racists were driving the strategy and they were the potential voters in the South.

"What arrogance…to put the question, what shall we do with a race of men and women who have fed, clothed and supported both themselves and their oppressors for centuries…the only way to solve the race question; {was} to educate blacks to be equal to their opportunities, {and for} whites to be willing to share their privileges" (Susan B. Anthony)

What is getting lost here is the 19th amendment--the right for women to vote.

Susan B Anthony was arrested for voting, not for anything else. In celebration of women's right to vote, she was pardoned. The rest of this is garbage.

Anthony wanted to be arrested. She wanted to assert her right to vote as a citizen under the 14th amendment, and take it to the SC, but somebody paid her fine and killed the process. Trump is playing to his anti-abortion followers, who claim Anthony as one of their own, though she never expressed an opinion on abortion.

Back
Top Bottom