• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Susan B. Anthony and President Trump

pjohns

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Imagine if you will, please, the following scenario:

A condemned man has exhausted all his appeals--even the governor has refused to review the matter--and is scheduled to be executed tomorrow.

Suddenly--like manna from heaven!--the president lets it be known that he will pardon the man.

The man's attorney, however, rejects the pardon. Why, he does not like President Trump--he voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, and fully plans to vote for Joe Biden in 2020--so he would simply prefer to let his client die tomorrow.

Question: Just how long do you suppose it would be before that attorney would be disbarred?

Well, the Susan B. Anthony Museum has done much the same thing.

It has rejected President Trump's pardon of Susan B. Anthony, who was convicted in 1873 of having voted (as a female, yet!) in a federal election.

The rationale: Why, the president is guilty of "voter suppression"; so Ms. Anthony would surely not have wished to have him as a comrade.

Comments?

A condemned man has exhausted all his appeals--even the governor has refused to review the matter--and is scheduled to be executed tomorrow.

Suddenly--like manna from heaven!--the president lets it be known that he will pardon the man.

The man's attorney, however, rejects the pardon. Why, he does not like President Trump--he voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, and fully plans to vote for Joe Biden in 2020--so he would simply prefer to let his client die tomorrow.

Question: Just how long do you suppose it would be before that attorney would be disbarred?

It has rejected President Trump's pardon of Susan B. Anthony, who was convicted in 1873 of having voted (as a female, yet!) in a federal election.

The rationale: Why, the president is guilty of "voter suppression"; so Ms. Anthony would surely not have wished to have him as a comrade.

Comments?

Trolling OP.

Comments?

All should take shelter of Mein Fuhrer.

Trolling OP.

If that is what you truly believe, please feel free to elaborate.

Or, alternatively, you might wish to explain just why the comparison I have made is inaccurate--or unfair.

Or, alternatively, you might wish to explain just why the comparison I have made is inaccurate--or unfair.

You Republicans are completely off in your premise, anything you say is going to be trolling.

How utterly, painfully, and irretrievably moronic.

She's already dead.

Yes, she is now dead--and has been for a very long time.

Just what difference that should make, as regarding the analogy, I truly have no idea...

You Republicans are completely off in your premise, anything you say is going to be trolling.

Another hit-and-run remark--with absolutely nothing to back it up.

Could that possibly be why I find it very difficult--no, make that impossible--to take you seriously?

Just what difference that should make, as regarding the analogy, I truly have no idea...

We know you don't understand why your analogy is stupid, that's what makes it even funnier. :yes:

We know you don't understand why your analogy is stupid, that's what makes it even funnier. :yes:

You seem slow to understand the forum rule that civility "is a MUST." (Caps in original)

Comments?

How utterly, painfully, and irretrievably moronic.

She's already dead.

You are comparing (1) third-party refusal of pardon of a person who will be executed if pardon is refused, (2) third-party refusal of a pardon for a person who is already dead and will remain dead no matter what happens with the pardon?

...and you don't see the relevant difference?

This is a thing you "truly have no idea" about?

:shock:

Last edited:

Comments?

Trumps just appealing for votes

His heart ain't in it

Typical woman. Gets what she wants then doesn't want it.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around Trump pardoning an illegal voter. What a message that sends!

Beyond that, Anthony's story is more powerful with her as an unpardoned criminal for illegally voting as female. I understand the museum's position.

Trump might have, in Anthony's name, pushed the Senate to vote for reauthorization of the Voting Rights Act. That would have been meaningful.

You are comparing (1) third-party refusal of pardon of a person who will be executed if pardon is refused, (2) third-party refusal of a pardon for a person who is already dead and will remain dead no matter what happens with the pardon?

...and you don't see the relevant difference?

This is a thing you "truly have no idea" about?

:shock:

Well, if you believe there is a fundamental difference, please feel free to explain it.

Trumps just appealing for votes

His heart ain't in it

I might think that--except that Donald Trump is not the typical politician.

He is a businessman--and a billionaire.

So whether he manages to garner more votes in November may be of very little consequence to him.

Comments?

Lets see, Trump all of a sudden develops a new found respect for women, so he makes this hollow gesture 72 days before his re-election. Lets ignore that if Trump were living in the past, he would have opposed everything Susan B. Anthony fought for. Maybe the museum believes it would be more appropriate to have her pardoned by President Biden, who if had been living at the time, would have worked for her causes.

Remember when the Repubs held up Obama's nomination for SCOTUS for a year?

Maybe the Museum believes that a Biden pardon shows more respect rather than using her as a cheap, crass, political stunt, by a chep crass president?.

Lets see, Trump all of a sudden develops a new found respect for women, so he makes this hollow gesture 72 days before his re-election.

"[N]ew found"?

I would imagine that this is a talking point for the left (albeit absence any evidence)...

Lets ignore that if Trump were living in the past, he would have opposed everything Susan B. Anthony fought for. Maybe the museum believes it would be more appropriate to have her pardoned by President Biden, who if had been living at the time, would have worked for her causes.

Well, if Joe Biden plans to pardon her--if her becomes president--he would be the first president in almost 150 years (other than Donald Trump) to do so...

Another hit-and-run remark--with absolutely nothing to back it up.

Could that possibly be why I find it very difficult--no, make that impossible--to take you seriously?

Seriously? You can't take a joke. You think it's serious.

Seriously? You can't take a joke. You think it's serious.

If that was intended as a mere joke, I apologize.

But it certainly did not seem, to me, to be intended as a joke.

Was I mistaken?

You pose a purely hypothetical case where you contrive political motivation on the part of an obviously, by your choice in this scenario, pro-Hillary/Biden/Dem person in a position of critical importance of another person’s life. You then make that person’s decision a bad one. Then, you compare the scenario/decision, being one of a live person, to that of a current real-life decision of a person who is, w/o doubt, dead. Who passed away naturally and not by execution as by this imaginary situation you describe in the current. Then, you further obfuscate with a “voter suppression” angle.

The above is my best effort at giving you an honest and straight-forward reply to yours. Other than that, you make no sense and I can’t give a response that would be of any sense to make sense of no sense.

Back
Top Bottom