• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Surprising New Evidence Shows Bias in Police Use of Force but Not in Shootings

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

I haven't had time to go through the actual study data yet but the article is interesting and I hope to see that circumstances of the encounter are also taken into consideration. For example, my experience tells me that cops are more likely to handcuff a detained individual if he or she is being engaged as part of a group.

A new study confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police.

But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias.

The study is here. - http://www.nber.org/papers/w22399.pdf

I also have not looked at the study in any detail. It would seem that there are too many variables to determine what events (how, where and when) resulted in the actions of the police. However, I would accept the results of the study based on the following.

I would however agree that in many circumstances, stress and tension would exist between the police and black citizens in an encounter. I also believe there is some, or significant prejudice on the part of both the police and blacks. It would seem that the result of this prejudice could, or would end up resulting in different actions by police officers.

Racial, and or employment bias, yes. Apparently Mr. Fryer didn't consider that the attitude and actions of some blacks toward some police officers can contribute to a different result in these encounters.

Mr. Fryer is quoted in the New York Times “Who the hell wants to have a police officer put their hand on them or yell and scream at them? It’s an awful experience,” he said. “I’ve had it multiple, multiple times. Every black man I know has had this experience. Every one of them."

I wonder if there was any bias in the study?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

I haven't had time to go through the actual study data yet but the article is interesting and I hope to see that circumstances of the encounter are also taken into consideration. For example, my experience tells me that cops are more likely to handcuff a detained individual if he or she is being engaged as part of a group.

The study is here. - http://www.nber.org/papers/w22399.pdf

In my experience of 30 years as a cop...................Blacks are a lot more likely to resist contact....through verbal interaction, by backing away, trying to go around the officer, threatening gestures or words, etc. In short, they get their bias up right from the get go.
Some times, the officers approach is too strong, some cops are just assholes too....and that varies in different locations in the US. I did my level best to approach and talk to all people the same way......if I got the chance. Some folks are just assholes or pissed off when you get there and there is no doing it the easy way. And when a cop encounters this 9 times out of 10, they get pretty frustrated and will take no bull****!

For what it's worth....

One more thing, and it's something that I have said on these pages many times. If a person has not done the job, day in and day out and had their life threatened or put in jeopardy many times, they do not have a clue.

Last edited:
In my experience of 30 years as a cop...................Blacks are a lot more likely to resist contact....through verbal interaction, by backing away, trying to go around the officer, threatening gestures or words, etc. In short, they get their bias up right from the get go.
Some times, the officers approach is too strong, some cops are just assholes too. I did my level best to approach and talk to all people the same way......if I got the chance. Some folks are just assholes or pissed off when you get there and there is no doing it the easy way.

For what it's worth....

I'd agree with that general assessment. While most people I engaged were reasonably compliant, when someone did put up resistance (primarily verbal) they were most often black or female. The absolute worst offenders, however, tended to be drunk white females. While black men and women liked to litigate their case there on the sidewalk drunk white chicks were the ones most likely to just flat out go berserk. Oddly enough it seemed that Hispanics tended to be the easiest to deal with.

I'd agree with that general assessment. While most people I engaged were reasonably compliant, when someone did put up resistance (primarily verbal) they were most often black or female. The absolute worst offenders, however, tended to be drunk white females. While black men and women liked to litigate their case there on the sidewalk drunk white chicks were the ones most likely to just flat out go berserk. Oddly enough it seemed that Hispanics tended to be the easiest to deal with.

Fully agree.

Back
Top Bottom