• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Surprising intense pain in left elbow. Why?

PleasantValley

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I know there are some pretty good people here with medical experience or just plain common sense of whom may explain why this happened to me.

OK, I got a nice jobsite table saw for Christmas and have been making things with it.
One of the things i made was a shooting bench with folding legs, so I could take it out on my property and enjoy some shooting without having to lay in the mud. It has been rather wet and slightly chilly here, so ...no.

On a sunny day, I take a very heavy rifle on a bipod and get it sighted in.
Once sighted in I fire another 30 rounds for fun.
The rifle is about 8 pounds and it is only a .22, so there is no recoil at all. Not much noise either.

When I shot it, I had my left elbow on the solid wood and later that day, and now for the next two days I have had to wear an elbow pad and take pain killers.
My other elbow was on the wood too, but only the forward part of it and no issue at all.
My left elbow, however, had the rear part of it on the wood and it is killing me.

I have since went out and stapled a piece of a yoga pad on it to prevent this happening again, but I am at a loss as to why it happened at all.
It's a killer. As I type this, I can touch it and it is still pretty sensitive, and I still have the brace on.

Any of you know what I did wrong?

I know there are some pretty good people here with medical experience or just plain common sense of whom may explain why this happened to me.

OK, I got a nice jobsite table saw for Christmas and have been making things with it.
One of the things i made was a shooting bench with folding legs, so I could take it out on my property and enjoy some shooting without having to lay in the mud. It has been rather wet and slightly chilly here, so ...no.

The rifle is about 8 pounds and it is only a .22, so there is no recoil at all. Not much noise either.

When I shot it, I had my left elbow on the solid wood and later that day, and now for the next two days I have had to wear an elbow pad and take pain killers.
My other elbow was on the wood too, but only the forward part of it and no issue at all.
My left elbow, however, had the rear part of it on the wood and it is killing me.

I have since went out and stapled a piece of a yoga pad on it to prevent this happening again, but I am at a loss as to why it happened at all.
It's a killer. As I type this, I can touch it and it is still pretty sensitive, and I still have the brace on.

Sounds like the position of your elbow was the problem.

No different that bending your knee to the floor for an extended period of time.

Did you get old?

It doesn't take a whole lot to trigger bursitis in my elbows.

I don't know about bursitis but I have noticed that with each passing year the minor aches and pains sure seem to stick around longer than they used to.

Did you get old?

It doesn't take a whole lot to trigger bursitis in my elbows.

Yes, I got old. I am still in denial, but my head knows I am now a crotchety old fart.
But I used to.....
or so most stories begin.

I used to fire full power 30/06 Springfield rifles with only a safari jacket on concrete with scrapes, but no pain like this.
But, I used to....

So that is it. My bones are just too old for this crap?

BURSITIS...time to do some research.

Possibly you bruised it without knowing?

Yes, I got old. I am still in denial, but my head knows I am now a crotchety old fart.
But I used to.....
or so most stories begin.

I used to fire full power 30/06 Springfield rifles with only a safari jacket on concrete with scrapes, but no pain like this.
But, I used to....

So that is it. My bones are just too old for this crap?

Post #3 makes more sense than abruptly being too old to do something you just did recently. You automatically adjust to the shock with muscle contractions and if things are lined up in a bad way, I suppose you could have torn/strained something. Even a tendon. Sudden shocks from unexpected directions do tend to cause issues in most sports.

:shrug:

Is there any chance the chilly wet weather we have been getting might be a factor?
Here in East Texas it does not get real cold in winter, but it rains a cold rain almost every day.
That is why I have plans to make a shelter for the food i give the raccoons, opossums, and my one fox out in the jungle.

I know my 13 year old cat loves the heat lamp I installed under my desk.
Keeps my feet warm and he loves to lay near it.

Maybe it is time we both get put down.

Post #3 makes more sense than abruptly being too old to do something you just did recently. You automatically adjust to the shock with muscle contractions and if things are lined up in a bad way, I suppose you could have torn/strained something. Even a tendon. Sudden shocks from unexpected directions do tend to cause issues in most sports.

:shrug:
Don't forget inertial forces are still at play even on guns that eliminate 98% of the recoil.

The vibration from the rifle alone can bruise/pull a muscle that is in the wrong position.

Is there any change the chilly wet weather we have been getting might be a factor?

Aw ... just baby each other. :)

Is there any change the chilly wet weather we have been getting might be a factor?

Nah, just take painkillers as needed and use warm compresses, then the muscle will heal on its own.

Don't let the pain become intense to the point you can't stand it, or else you'll end up chasing it all day. Keep taking painkillers for a few days, whether you need them or not.

Is there any chance the chilly wet weather we have been getting might be a factor?
Here in East Texas it does not get real cold in winter, but it rains a cold rain almost every day.
That is why I have plans to make a shelter for the food i give the raccoons, opossums, and my one fox out in the jungle.

Yes, that can be a problem even in your forties.

Yeah painkillers ... anti-inflammatories ... good stuff

Don't forget inertial forces are still at play even on guns that eliminate 98% of the recoil.

The vibration from the rifle alone can bruise/pull a muscle that is in the wrong position.

Smart analysis. We call those harmonics.
There is another position I can use where i grasp the rear sling swivel when firing from a bipod and the left elbow does not touch anything.
That might fix the issue.

I did not do a damned thing today but rest and heal.
I think one more day, and I will be back out there.

I have to still build that food shelter of the critters way back out in the jungle.
We have been dropping food off for them every day at dusk, and they have been staying out of the house.

I jumped for joy when i saw the fox on the critter cam.
That means I have a pretty balanced ecology out back there.
In February I am going to get five pounds of crawfish and dump them in the creek that leads to the pond.
That should help feed them too.

You guys are lifesavers.
Thank you all for your advice and knowledge.
All is gratefully accepted.

Nah, just take painkillers as needed and use warm compresses, then the muscle will heal on its own.

Don't let the pain become intense to the point you can't stand it, or else you'll end up chasing it all day. Keep taking painkillers for a few days, whether you need them or not.

Kratom and Turmeric to the rescue.

Smart analysis. We call those harmonics.
There is another position I can use where i grasp the rear sling swivel when firing from a bipod and the left elbow does not touch anything.
That might fix the issue.

I did not do a damned thing today but rest and heal.
I think one more day, and I will be back out there.

I have to still build that food shelter of the critters way back out in the jungle.
We have been dropping food off for them every day at dusk, and they have been staying out of the house.

I jumped for joy when i saw the fox on the critter cam.
That means I have a pretty balanced ecology out back there.
In February I am going to get five pounds of crawfish and dump them in the creek that leads to the pond.
That should help feed them too.

You guys are lifesavers.
Thank you all for your advice and knowledge.
All is gratefully accepted.
Over in Dallas fox tend to really enjoy Hackberry trees, both for their foliage and fruit. :shrug:

Good luck.

Kratom and Turmeric to the rescue.

Yeah painkillers ... anti-inflammatories ... good stuff
200.gif

As I play a absent minded physician on the internet, you should eat 12 Carolina Reapers every morning and night for twelve days or until the pain subsides.

Or you can find a real doctor and ask them.

Last edited:
Over in Dallas fox tend to really enjoy Hackberry trees, both for their foliage and fruit. :shrug:

Good luck.

Hackberry trees...I wrote it down. Now i need to find out what they look like.
Right now everyone likes Meow mix and purina kitten chow mixed together.
When i saw three baby raccoons, I figured the babies might need something special in their diet.
They were three little softball sized balls of grey fluff.

As I play a absent minded physician on the internet, you should eat 12 Carolina Reapers every morning and night for twelve days or until the pain subsides.

Or you can find a real doctor and ask them.

Carolina Reapers...I wrote that down, and will ask Jose behind the 7-11 tomorrow.

Hackberry trees...I wrote it down. Now i need to find out what they look like.
Right now everyone likes Meow mix and purina kitten chow mixed together.
When i saw three baby raccoons, I figured the babies might need something special in their diet.
They were three little softball sized balls of grey fluff.
For the raccoons, I'd mix cat foot and feed store corn, along with any rotten fruits and vegetables you have.

Carolina Reapers...I wrote that down, and will ask Jose behind the 7-11 tomorrow.
Henderson has a 7-11?

Gawd, I hope not. Please don't.

Though I once saw a Army NCO recommend a bowl full of jalapenos every morning to a soldier that had hemorrhoids. Surprisingly, the kid said it worked.

Last edited:
For the raccoons, I'd mix cat foot and feed store corn, along with any rotten fruits and vegetables you have.

A good idea, but no. We keep the food in the home office and deer corn might attract the zillions of wild pigs running around here.
Hell, the turf at my mail box was torn up a few weeks ago, and the side of the house just last week.
I am afraid i may go out to check the mail one day and be eaten alive.
My neighbor down the road set some traps and has pics of about 20 of them laying all around the tarps and not going in.
They are smart and mean. Have you seen the "tushes" on those things?

As it is, my cats and the raccoons like each other and just watch their goings on with no issues at all.
My older cat even is buddies with a younger opossum.

Only LOVE lives here.

Last edited:
The 7-11 on Henderson, next to Lucky's?
That Jose? Great Doctor.

Gawd, I hope not. Please don't.

Though I once saw a Army NCO recommend a bowl full of jalapenos every morning to a soldier that had hemorrhoids. Surprisingly, the kid said it worked.

Jose's number is nice to have...just in case.

Have you heard? 80% of Army officers have hemorrhoids. The other 20% are prefect assholes.

The 7-11 I referenced is one somewhat closer to me on a Henderson street. Doh! I edited and dropped it.
Have you heard? 80% of Army officers have hemorrhoids. The other 20% are prefect assholes.
It been so long, I don't know if I ever heard that one.

Back
Top Bottom