• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Surprise! Gas is going up just in time for Labor Day!

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Why Gas is edging higher ahead of Labor Day

Gas is getting a bit pricier ahead of Labor Day weekend.
The average U.S. price for a gallon of gasoline rose by 1.8 cents to $3.56 a gallon Thursday, its biggest overnight jump in six weeks, according to auto club AAA.
Gas is starting to track the rising price of oil, which reached a two-year high this week on fears of supply disruptions in the Middle East. Gas had stayed fairly steady this month because of ample supplies at refineries.

Price rises just ahead of major driving holidays have become as predictable as Jon Stewart making fun of Fox News. For Memorial day, it was refineries down for "maintenance." This time, it's "fears of supply disruptions in the Middle East." Next time, who knows. I'm picturing oil company execs in some luxury hotel somewhere sitting around and dreaming up yet one more excuse to raise prices for a holiday.

But, that's just my cynicism at work, and cynicism steers me wrong as much as 5% of the time. It could really be fears of supply disruptions.

yeah, right.

Obama is pushing up gas prices to $200 a barrel.

we should make it a national priority to replace oil as the primary transportation fuel in the next twenty years.

when we start moving on that, watch the price tank. then, we do it anyway.

But, that's just my cynicism at work, and cynicism steers me wrong as much as 5% of the time. It could really be fears of supply disruptions.

yeah, right.
Between the ongoing situation in Egypt and Syria and the imminent risk of the latter worsening significantly, it's hardly a conspiracy.

Between the ongoing situation in Egypt and Syria and the imminent risk of the latter worsening significantly, it's hardly a conspiracy.

and not even a lame excuse?

And we get most of our oil from Canada. That dog don't bark.

And we get most of our oil from Canada. That dog don't bark.
Not quite. Canada is our single largest importing source, but only accounts for roughly a third of our total imports. OPEC accounts for nearly 45 percent of total imports, so it stands to reason that a potential military conflict in the region in addition to ongoing social unrest would cause commodity traders to project a possible decline in supply.

Obama is pushing up gas prices to $200 a barrel.

He made no secret he wanted oil prices to go up - just he wanted it to be gradual. If over 100% in under 5 years is "gradual" then he has kept his promise of increasing oil prices.

Energy prices are volatile! Wow, who knew!

we should make it a national priority to replace oil as the primary transportation fuel in the next twenty years.

when we start moving on that, watch the price tank. then, we do it anyway.
I agree with you in principle, but the costs would likely be prohibitive for most average consumers to afford, and another issue would be setting up a powergrid capable of supplying electricity (if you're thinking along the lines of electric).

I agree with you in principle, but the costs would likely be prohibitive for most average consumers to afford, and another issue would be setting up a powergrid capable of supplying electricity (if you're thinking along the lines of electric).

i'm thinking electric as the transition. it will require extensive upgrades to the grid, and i have no problem with doing that via public / private partnerships or completely publicly. as you're a libertarian, we'll probably disagree on that one, but i see horrors coming down the road for our descendants if we wait for it to become profitable to replace oil.

i love my gasoline powered vehicles, but i don't love them enough to subject my future kids to war over diminishing resources. i really wish we had more effectively followed the narrative in the 1970s. hyperbole, maybe, but i think we're currently looking at our last chance to avoid getting sucked into that scenario.

i love my gasoline powered vehicles, but i don't love them enough to subject my future kids to war over diminishing resources. i really wish we had more effectively followed the narrative in the 1970s. hyperbole, maybe, but i think we're currently looking at our last chance to avoid getting sucked into that scenario.

We tried. We sunk millions of tax dollars into finding alternatives even back then, with little progress at all. I wish I knew what the answer was- really I do.

We will never be fully independent of oil or from oil. Thats just a fact. But we can reduce our dependence on it significantly.

Why Gas is edging higher ahead of Labor Day

Price rises just ahead of major driving holidays have become as predictable as Jon Stewart making fun of Fox News. For Memorial day, it was refineries down for "maintenance." This time, it's "fears of supply disruptions in the Middle East." Next time, who knows. I'm picturing oil company execs in some luxury hotel somewhere sitting around and dreaming up yet one more excuse to raise prices for a holiday.

yeah, right.
I'm just so irritated that I have to take labor day off. WTF man! Yay labor day my check is going to be $200-$400 smaller! W00t w00t!

Back
Top Bottom